UPDATE on my Hermit Crabs!!!!!

edited January 2017 in General
So I guess I will tell the sad news first. Hank and Herald.. the 2 crabs I got from Petco both died. I do not think it was because of anything I did but perhaps they were just sick with something when I bought them. Thankfully, Herbert (one I bought from my friend) is still alive and kick'n! Today I changed the tank substrate to sand instead of what I had before. I adore the sand cause it is so much prettier and more beach like! So glad I changed it. Anyway, I took some pictures today after I changed it to sand. You can see the pictures below in the "Spoiler". I also got really good (and funny) pictures of Herbert on top of his crab shack. He is a silly guy and loves to climb! Plus, he also seems to like knocking over his food and water bowls sometimes when he digs under them. I have to keep fixing it every once in a while. By the way, I plan to get 2 more hermit crabs soon. I am going to try Petsmart instead of Petco this time. I called them today and they finally got more crabs in. They were sold out around Christmas and New Years. Let me know what you think of the new sand in the comments below. I will also share a link to my original hermit crab thread below if you are interested. Thank you for reading (if you read this far)!

Pictures are in the SPOILER. :)

My Original Hermit Crab Thread: http://forum.missclue.com/discussion/877417/my-new-pet-hermit-crabs#latest

Spoiler:

New Sand Substrate (Entire Tank 1)

New Sand Substrate (Left Side 1)
New Sand Substrate (Right Side)

Herbert On Crab Shack 1
Herbert On Crab Shack 2

waterfallglow signature

my signature was drawn by waterfallglow (me)! I did this completely myself using Paint program. :) ^_^

Comments

• Aww so sorry!! Glad to hear herbert is doing well!!
    I love the sand in there! How hard is it to keep hermit crabs?
    I joined VFK on September 22nd 2013 <3 
    400700_113340368867716_949336079_n
  • edited January 2017
    @SaharaHollyglow It's actually pretty easy once you get in the routine of things but can be expensive to get all the supplies when you first start out. You need a tank and heat lamp among other things. You have to keep the tank at a humidity level above 70 percent. 75 is ideal amount though. To keep track of this you need a humidity gauge to measure it. You also need a spray bottle on hand to spray the tank at least once or twice a day to help with the humidity. You can buy a tank humidifier so you don't have to spray once a day but they are expensive so I just spray the tank instead which is not that big of a deal. If you have any more questions feel free to ask! I did a lot of research on Hermit Crabs before I bought Herbert.

waterfallglow signature

my signature was drawn by waterfallglow (me)! I did this completely myself using Paint program. :) ^_^

• wow!!!! Herbet is looking so happy in his cage, and i love all the sand you put in for him!

alanrickman

I WOULD THINK OF YOU COLONEL BRANDON!!!!
    oh his hair... if I could only touch his hair
    Alan Rickman - 1946 - 2016  :(
  • @showjumpingbird I love the sand a lot too! Also yes, Herbert is a happy little crab! He really gives me giggles with the things he does. ;)

waterfallglow signature

• Wow! That sand is really nice!
     HBForever's Signature
    Thank you @Purrfect
  • Thanks for posting these updates!! Herbert is SOOO CUTE!
  • Aww I'm so sorry about your other two!  I once bought a couple fish from the store and I think they were sick too because they dies about a week later.

I wish you a lot of luck water with your cute little guy!
    skylambsignature
  • He looks so happy now!  I love your setup and I think he does too! I'm sorry about your other two.  Did you say they like to have buddies @waterfallglow?

DazzledreamSignaturemistymew
    thank you dazzlerdream for the signature
  • You are doing a beautiful job raising your hermit crabs.  I'm sorry you only have one left, but he looks extremely happy in his tank!

Thanks for keeping us updated! :D
    I am a total mystery girl!
    Never without my magnifying glass <3
    MarzipanFromBluewiz3
    Thanks to @bluewiz for this amazing Secret Santa Christmas present!!
  • Man what a bummer, tank looks great though!  Good luck on the one you got from a friend!
    tacocatPandaPicturepandahood
  • YAY HERMIT CRABS!!! so cute!!!
    tacocatdrawing
  • Another Update:

Thanks everybody! I actually bought 2 more crabs since this post. My 2 newest crabs are Theodore and Jack. Now Herbert has friends again. Yay! I also found a great deal for a bigger tank off Craigs List so I have a bigger tank now too. I can try to send more pictures soon. It is in the wee hours in the morning where I am and don't have the energy at the moment to post all new pictures. I will try to soon though. :)

@rain_shadow @echo_panda @Marzipan @MistyMew @SkyLamb @SparkleDream @HBforever

waterfallglow signature

• Very epic @waterfallglow Crabs are the coolest next to pandas!  Congratulations on your new buddies and bigger tank (high five)
    tacocatPandaPicturepandahood
  • WOW!!!! How exciting!!  yes yes please post pictures when you get a chance I want to see the changes!
    ~~~~~~~neonheartssignature02~~ ~~~~~
  • waterfallglow said:

Another Update:

Thanks everybody! I actually bought 2 more crabs since this post. My 2 newest crabs are Theodore and Jack. Now Herbert has friends again. Yay! I also found a great deal for a bigger tank off Craigs List so I have a bigger tank now too. I can try to send more pictures soon. It is in the wee hours in the morning where I am and don't have the energy at the moment to post all new pictures. I will try to soon though. :)

@rain_shadow @echo_panda @Marzipan @MistyMew @SkyLamb @SparkleDream @HBforever

AHHH!!! definitely post some pictures soon I'd love to see Theodore and Jack!
  • That must be exciting! I'm happy Herbert has friends again! Can't wait for the pictures! :D
    "May the stars shine down on you."
    -Rosalina ♥