My new pet hermit crabs!

edited January 2017 in General
My friend got a hermit crab some time ago and recently she told me she did not want him anymore. I told her i was interested in him. I ended up buying him from her and his name is Herbert! I also went to the pet store and bought 2 more crabs because i read online they are very social creatures. They have to be in at least groups of 3 or more. I have not named the other 2 crabs yet but wanted to share pictures. The crab in the picture that is out of his shell is Herbert. The other 2 are in the tank somewhere among the other empty shells in the picture.

UPDATE thread on my Hermit Crabs: http://forum.missclue.com/discussion/877631/update-on-my-hermit-crabs

Crab Shack
Crab Tank  
Herbert 

waterfallglow signature

my signature was drawn by waterfallglow (me)! I did this completely myself using Paint program. :) ^_^

Comments

• Wo soooo cute!! Are hermit crabs the kind that as they get bigger they swap to a bigger shell @waterfallglow!
    ~~~~~~~neonheartssignature02~~ ~~~~~
  • @NeonHearts

Yes, after they molt and get get bigger is when they usually switch shells. Although sometimes they just switch shells at random too.

waterfallglow signature

my signature was drawn by waterfallglow (me)! I did this completely myself using Paint program. :) ^_^

• Oh neat I think that is so cute about hermit crabs! @waterfallglow which shells in the first picture are they in?
  • NeonHearts said:

Oh neat I think that is so cute about hermit crabs! @waterfallglow which shells in the first picture are they in?

The other 2 are in the mermaid shell and green/white shell.

waterfallglow signature

• How cute!! @waterfallglow what do they eat?
    skylambsignature
  • WOW!  You have hermit crabs?!  That's sooo cool!!
  • waterfallglow said:

NeonHearts said:

Oh neat I think that is so cute about hermit crabs! @waterfallglow which shells in the first picture are they in?

The other 2 are in the mermaid shell and green/white shell.
    Oh so they're hiding!
  • @SkyLamb

I actually did alot of research on them the night before I got them. They are scavengers and omnivorous so they eat almost anything from fresh fruits and vegetables to even peanut butter. Among the foods they like are pineapple, carrots, pear and even cooked shrimp. I have not given them any fresh foods like that yet though cause they been hiding alot the past few days. During that time I have just been placing Hermit Crab food in their bowl. It's it pellet form that you can get at any pet store.

waterfallglow signature

• @NeonHearts

Yes they have been hiding alot lately. The green and white one I have a feeling might be molting which is a 2-3 week process. When they molt they dig down deep in the substrate (sand/dirt). I can't touch him while he doing that cause it would stress him out. The other 2 are still hiding right now too. The mermaid one is in the Crab Shack and the other dug under the substrate by it.

waterfallglow signature

• Awesome! I always wanted hermit crabs but never found the right time for it.

Good luck with them! :)
    I joined VFK on September 22nd 2013 <3 
    400700_113340368867716_949336079_n
  • Wow that is so KEWL!  how do you know the difference from when they are hiding and when they are molting?
  • edited November 2016
    @NeonHearts

There are a few signs to look for to see if they are going to molt. They usually turn white beforehand. They also start to eat ALOT too. This being because the molting process takes time and so they have to save up nutrients. The one I feel is molting dug down deep during the night so I couldn't check if he was white or not. However he has been dug deep for the past week. The other 2 have dug down then come back up. I think they might just be digging down because they are cold. It's fall and it just started to cool down here. Hermit Crabs are tropical creatures and need to stay in 75%-80% temperatures. I ordered an "under the tank" heating pad for them which should arrive tomorrow.

waterfallglow signature

• The last picture is so cute, I hope you post more!  I would have never guessed that is what they would eat!  a few summers ago I found a praying mantis girl and boy, and they girl was going to have little praying mantis' but when I was reading what they would eat and collecting it for them I didn't know they girl would eat the boy @_@  So one day I won't up and the boy wasn't in the cage anymore.  I decided I didn't really want to raise praying mantis' so I let her go.  I think a hermit crab would be much more to my liking!
    skylambsignature
  • edited November 2016
    @SkyLamb That is cool but yea praying mantis' do that. It's creepy I know lol. Also, Hermit crabs are fun! At least they have been so far. Other than having to spray the tank once or twice a day. They are crustaceans and have to have humidity to go over their gills. I could get a tank humidifier but when I looked them up they are expensive so I will just have to spray the tank with a waterbottle. Also, they can't have tap water because of the chlorine. I have been using bottled water but they do have drops you can get at a pet store to put in tap that purifies it. Btw.. If you ever do get hermit crabs feel free to ask me any questions. I read alot about them before I got them.

waterfallglow signature

• It sounds like you're taking really good care of them, I think they will like the heating pad!  Do you have any other pets?
  • edited November 2016
    @SkyLamb

Also, I will try to remember to post more pictures once I get some sand for their tank. When I bought him from my friend she used coconut fiber substrate for them. That substrate works great for hermit crabs cause they hold moister better. However, I kinda want sand instead because it's more beach like.

waterfallglow signature

• @NeonHearts Yes, I have a dog and 2 cats. My dog is a dachshund and his name is Truffle. The cat's names are Cassy and Candy. Candy is more of my Mom's cat and Cassy is more my cat.

waterfallglow signature

• My mom has to do the same thing for our fish with purifying the tap water!  I'll let you know if I get one they seem cute and easy to take care of!

skylambsignature
  • @SkyLamb Yes they are generally pretty easy. A little more expensive than I was expecting for their supplies but other than that they great pets I think. The substrate, the tank itself, tank humidity gauge and thermometer, food, purified water, aquarium salt and heating pad all added up cost wise. The aquarium salt is because they need both fresh and salt water bowls in the tank. The salt helps with the molting process. I am happy though and am glad I got them! They are exciting. Looking forward to if you get some. If you do, I would recommend getting at least 3 hermit crabs because they don't do well by themselves. I read that they are social creatures and should have at least 2 other crabs in the tank.

waterfallglow signature

• It sounds like you know a lot about Hermit Crabs!  I've never owned one myself, but my friend used to!

How long do Hermit Crabs live on average?
    Why waste time trying to fix things that are broken when we need to spend more time fixing things that aren't broken.
  • edited November 2016
    @MidnightMystery

When properly cared for they can live up to 30 years. They also can get kinda big as they grow. I may have to get a bigger tank when they get bigger eventually.

waterfallglow signature