Installation troubleshooting

2»

Comments

• YAY!  Best of luck @Kasmut!
  • I'm not having any luck lol
    pem5
  • edited November 2016
    Hi @Kasmut

That is so odd.  What step were you on when this popped up?
  • I was extracting all of the files
  • edited November 2016
    Hmm, We're looking in to it!

• You've been doing a great job with everything!

Does it show the same error (with the same file name in the error window), if you run the same "Extract All" operation again?

Also, you may want to make sure that AVG is temporarily disabled, and then after that, try the unzip operation again!
  • No problem! Yall really have been attentive and I really appreciate that.
  • Oh yeah, I could try disabling AVG again so I'll try one more time before going to bed
  • Sounds like a plan!  I'll cross my fingers for you!
  • So I wasn't able to go back to step 2 to extract all the files, I had a screen that looks like your last screenshot with an M icon, I clicked it and got this message:

pem 7
  • Also, I don't know if this was a good idea, but I redownloaded to be able to extract all again, and when I made it back to the error, I went and ahead and clicked skip
  • Looks like I'm getting errors where all the scenes are, which is funny because in an Agatha Chrisite game I was playing it kept skipping over any scenes in game but I was able to look them up on youtube. It could happen when I'm playing the game, but as long as I can play I'll be happy!
  • edited November 2016

That sounds like great progress!

Windows can be a bit misleading with zip folders, in fact, you can double-click on a Zip file, and Windows will open it as though it were a folder (it will look just like it), but Windows is actually just browsing the contents of the zip, and if Windows tries to run apps in that zip, it will show errors.

Could you post a quck screenshot of your Downloads folder?  It will probably look something like this image:

Capture_unzip-1

(In the image above, the Zip file has an icon that looks like a stack of books, but it may be different on your system).

In your downloads folder, make sure you are double-clicking on the file that has the icon that looks like a folder (the first item in the image above.)  It's a very subtle difference, and so it is easy to miss.

Also, to make it simpler to tell the files apart, you can try renaming the folder named this:

Miss Clue - Peril In Pemberley - PC - Portable

To something different from the zip file, like this:

Peril In Pemberley - Portable

Also, we will upload another version of the Portable Installer, which is a "Self-Extracting-Zip" archive, which may also help prevent the error you showed in your screenshot!

• It's working!! :D I saved it right after Martha enters Jane's room to share the good news. But if yall make that other one I'll try it too in case if there should be glitches later because of the error messages. I'm really appreciative of the time spent in working through this with me! Well, maybe now this thread will help others if they encounter the same problem. Here's what the files look like:

pem 8

• YAY that is excellent news!!  Great job getting everything setup, and good luck solving the mystery:-)

Yes, It does sound like it would be a good idea to try the Portable Self-Extracting-Zip version, just to make sure that all of the files unzip correctly, and that those errors will not cause problems!

The Self-Extracting-Zip version will be ready in about an hour, so it should be all set for you to try tomorrow!

- Mintie

P.S. I think this will definitely help others, who might encounter the same problem!

• Okay, the new self-extracting-zip file is ready!

Basically, it is just a Zip file, which includes a small built-in un-zipper!  It works just like a zip file, except it avoids the problems that are possible with Windows trying to open the Zip file like a folder!

It is available in your download area at this URL:

On that page, the file name is this:

Peril In Pemberley - Portable - Self Extracting Zip - PC

If you want to download that file, and then double-click it, you should see a window that looks like this image:

Capture__self_extracting_archive1

Click the "Extract" button in the window, and then wait for the progress-bar to complete, and then the window will automatically close!

After the window closes, you should then see a folder with this name in your Downloads folder:

Peril In Pemberley - Portable

Open that folder, and then double-click the file named "PerilInPemberley" (the file with the MissClue "M" icon.)

Also, you may want to make sure that AVG hasn't turned back on automatically, and that it is temporarily disabled, before running the self-extracting-zip file!
  • Thank you! Yes, I'm going to try this because I get so far as to stand in front of Jane's aunt and it starts to load the conversation but then cuts off leaving Jane to just stand there.
  • It's still not taking:

pem9
  • edited November 2016

Hmm,  hold on just a moment.  We'll check into this!
  • edited November 2016

This has been a busy day, with the release of the latest chapter of Trials Of Salem!

Okay, the error you show above is very interesting!

One important thing to note about that type of error (a hard-disk corruption error for large files), is that depending on the cause, the problem can often get worse over time.  In which case, it can be a very good idea to make a backup any computer files you do not want to lose!

The reason this may happen, is that if large files begin to becom "corrupt", then smaller ones might too;  And if a critical Windows system file becomes corrupted, then your computer will not be able to start Windows, and you may have trouble recovering your files after this happens.  Which is where having a backup of your files comes in handy!

A computer should never corrupt a file when it is saved, and since it looks like you have seen this type of problem now more than once, both with Peril In Pemberley, and Agatha Christie, it seems the problem may not be temporary / passing issue, such an internet connection issue, a system restart at the wrong moment, etc.

Okay!  So now to more "technical" details!  Here is a list of a few possible causes for this type of system error, and possible ways to look at fixing those problems!:

----

Possible Cause 1: File "corrupted" at time of download.

The file could have been "corrupted" when it was downloaded.  This can happen if a "download manager" or "browser helper" is installed, that cannot handle large files. (e.g. a browser helper such as Yahoo Toolbar, Yandex Toolbar, etc, installed in your browser.)

Possible Solution 1: If you think you may have a download manager or browser helper installed, then a quick way to see if it is causing the problem, is to use a different browser, which does not have the helper installed.  

For instance, if you normally use Internet Explorer, then you might try installing Google Chrome, or Mozilla FireFox, and see if the same problem still happens after downloading the large file using that new browser. 

----

Possible Cause 2: File corrupted when "written" to the hard-disk.

The file may have been corrupted when it was saved to your local hard disk.  This could mean that the actual hard disk is experiencing physical "write" errors, and can mean that the disk is getting close to not working any more. 

Possible Solution 2: If there is a chance your hard disk may be faultering, it is a really good idea to backup the data on your computer, as you can not tell exactly when a hard-drive will stop working!

After a backup is made, one common recommendation by Microsoft, is to run an official Microsoft Windows utility named "Check Disk".  The utility will basically scan every part of your physical disk, looking for file errors, and trying to correct for them.

Since running Microsoft "Check Disk" checks every part of your hard drive, it can take a while to run, but also it can strain a hard-drive that is already close to not working, and so a "Check Disk" is best run only after a defintie backup of all your files has been made, and should be run by someone you trust to handle your computer!

----

Possible Cause 3: Malware.

Malware can also cause all sorts of problems, including file read and write errors, it it manages to somehow get installed!
    Possible Solution 3: If Malware does turn out to be installed on your system, Malware can be quite vicious in the way that is embeds its self on a computer, and because of this, it is also a very good idea to have a backup of your computer files before trying to remove the Malware, just in case!

An easy way to check if Malware is on your system, is to run a Malware detection utility.  There are many vendors of this type of utility.  A commonly used one, is named MalwareBytes, which is also Free.  MalwareBytes has a website at this URL:

And for reference, the current download page for the Free Edition of Malware Bytes is at this URL:

You can see what it looks like to install and run a utility like MalwareBytes, at the links below:

How to install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 - YouTube: 
    How to Install and Use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/malwarebytes-how-to,news-18841.html

If any Malware were detected on your system, it is often a good idea to double-check with someone you trust with your computer, to help review if there are any special instructions for removing that type of Malware.  This is because depending on what type of Malware is installed, problems can even be caused by just removing the Malware!

---

Possible Cause 4: Mis-matched / incorrect version of "device drivers".

Another possible cause, although less likely, is that "device drivers" on your system are not the correct versions for the actual hardware installed in your system.  If this were the case, there may even be updates available for those device drivers.

However, if this were the cause, you would probably notice problems like what you've seen with Agatha Christie, and Peril In Pemberley, since you first started instaslling softare on your computer.  

If your computer was working fine for a long time, and then just recently started showing the problems above, then this is probably not the cause, unless the device drivers were updated recently, in which case an update to device drivers can also cause a mis-match with the actual hardware.

---

Possible Cause 5: A failing network "router" or "hub".

This is most often a wireless-router, but can also be a wired-hub.  Quite often this is the same network device used to connect to your internet provider.  This cause is really not very common, and would only be the case if every computer in your house has the same download issues with large files.

Also, if you have an iPhone or Android device with a Data plan, you can even try "tethering" your computer to your mobile device, and download the file over your mobile phone.  Of course, this can use up a lot of data on your mobile plan, and so you may want to be careful about trying this type of test!

----

Questions.

So, in summary, there are a couple of questions that can help narrow down what might be the cause from the list above!

First, when did you first notice problems like this begin to occur?  Did you notice this problem for large files a while ago (e.g. with Agatha Christie), or did this just begin to happen recently?

Second, do you have any spare computers on your home network, that you could try running the self-extracting-zip file on?  Peril In Pemberley can run on most any Windows computer running Windodws XP or newer, If the file unzips on another computer, then the problem can be narrowed down to just  your main computer!

We hope this helps!

- Mintie
  • I figured y'all would be busy with the release of the latest chapter! :D

Ok, so the information you shared makes sense to me, because not too long my screen blacked out and I got a message from Windows that it was scanning my hard drive and I should back up my files soon. I've really had problems with this computer since I bought it; it was used but my family had bought from the company before with no problems. I don't guess a system restore would fix the problem?
    I really wanted to see if it would install on my computer first, but my family has a computer we share and I will try downloading it there. Anyway, it looks like it will be time for me to save up for a new computer! :P

• Moving it to another computer worked without any trouble during installation and I've even made it to the second day in the game without glitches. I'm really liking the game! :)
  • Hi @Kasmut!

That is great news!  We are reviewing options now and will let you know what we come up with!  

Good luck on the mystery, I'm so glad it is working for you!

-Mintie
  • edited November 2016

It can be quite frustrating to have a computer not work!

That black screen that Windows showed, saying it was checking files, was very likely "Check Disk", as Windows will run "Check Disk" automatically if it detects there was an issue writing to the disk.

If the computer has had this problem since you received it, then it does seem more likely that the problem is an intermittent hardware issue, which is very often caused by one of these components:

- A faultering "motherboard"
    - A faultering "memory chip".
    - A faultering hard-drive.

Another possibility is a low-power condition.  If the computer is on a power circuit that has a weak "short to ground", the computer may not be receiving enough voltage to properly run consistently.  The way to check this is by using a "Volt / Ohm Meter", which can measure the electrical current available to the wall outlet where the computer is receiving its electrical power.  Another similar possiblity, is a defective power cable, which can also be checked with a "Volt / Ohm Meter".

However, there is also the possibilty that the issue is software based, and not a hardware problem.

Here is a list of a few common things that can be software based:

- Malware can cause problems wth disk writes and reads, depending on the type of malware, so checking the system for Malware can be helpful, to rule out the possibility.

- There is also the chance that another installed software, for instance some helper applications, or machine-speed-up programs, could be interferring with disk writing.  If there are any utility or helper programs installed on the computer, which are not installed on your other working computer, there is a slight chance that one of these types of software may be contributing to the problem.

- Updating "device drivers" to their latest versions, can also some times help.  This is because if a device manufacturer finds a consistent issue in a speciic version of their hardware, they may be able to compensate for the issue in their driver software, and then publish a new driver version for all existing hardware customers to install.

This is especially true for the "motherboard chipset", which is the largest component in the computer.  Also, there may be updated drivers available for the hard-disk, and "network card".

So!  The simple thing to check, is for the presence of Malware.  Next, a common thing people check is if newer "device drivers" are available.  

For both of these, it is often a good idea to have someone you trust with your computer to help out (as having someone to double-check things is always helpful!).  Of course, a backup of your files can also be very important to have!

It can be time consuming to debug computers, since there are so many parts and pieces involved, but if the problem is caused by something easily fixable, such as software, then it can be rewarding to finally have a working system again!

- Mintie
  • Hi @Kasmut!

Oh yes, something I forgot to mention!  

According to the image you captured of the self-extracting-zip utility, it looks like only one file did not unzip correctly!  That one file was an intro sound file (part of the initial intro of Peril In Pemberley).

For Peril In Pemberley, it is able to work great even with missing sound files, so if you were to start Peril In Pemberley from that folder where the self-extracting-zip unzipped the files, it should work great, except for the intro sound not playing!

Let me know if you encounter any trouble running it this way on your PC!

- Mintie
  • Thank you! This looks like really good information to follow up on. I'm definitely going to try self extracting again on my computer to see if it does work the way you mentioned. :)