Installation troubleshooting

I don't get far into the installation of Peril in Pemberly when I get this message:
The Cabinet file 'pip.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the cd-rom, or a problem with the package.

Has anyone else had this problem or know how I can fix it?

Comments

• Hi @Kasmut!

That's certainly an odd error, I don't think that has been reported before!

To help us better troubleshoot your problem, could you answer a couple questions:

• What Operating System and Version are you using?
    • From which distributor did you download the Installer? 

Thanks!
  • Thank you for replying! I'm using Windows 7 and I used a downloader from Amazon
  • Thanks so much @Kasmut, hold on just a moment, I should have a solution for you!
  • Thanks! I'm really impressed that you're helping me even though it's late. :)
  • Hi again @Kasmut!

Let's try another installer file, instead of the default Amazon installer.

To download this new installer, go to this URL in your browser:

And then login using your MissClue.com username and password.

Then, click the Downloads link on the left menu, and then click the PC Download link, which looks like this on the page:
    "Miss Clue: Jane Austen Mysteries - Peril in Pemberley PC/Mac [Download] – PC - Peril In Pemberley - Install"

This will download a new Installer MSI file!

Once the file is downloaded, double-click it to start the MSI installing, and let me know if the result is any different!

Also, you will have received an e-mail with a link to the installer as well.

Regards,

-Mintie
  • Thanks! Going to try it now
  • I didn't receive an error message, but it won't install at all now. Usually I get a message before installing asking for permission to install, but it didn't come up until I gave up and canceled the installation. I'll try again tomorrow! :)
  • Hi @Kasmut!

Not a problem!

On Windows, MSI files do not ask for permission before installing by default, as they do not need "administrative rights" to be installed.

When you try again tomorrow, if the installer appears to wait on a progress bar screen, try leaving the installer at that screen for 10 or 15 minutes.  Depending on your system configuration, there have been a couple of reports that virus scanners can cause that screen to take longer on some systems.

You can also try disabling any virus scanner you have installed, during the installation process.

Let me know if either of the above suggestions work for you!

Regards,

- Mintie
  • Tried again and waited but I still got the same message. Is there a way to disable my virus protection without uninstalling it?
  • Hi @Kasmut!

Yes!  Do you know the name of the anti-virus software you are using? (e.g. McAfee, Avira, Norton, etc.)  

Also, do you know how much free space do you have on your C:\ drive?

• I'm using AVG as my virus protection, and on my C:\drive I have 65.1 gb free

My computer is behind the times, lol! I was going to ask in my last post what system people generally download it on.
  • Hi @Kasmut!

That is plenty of free space!  

Here is a link to a support page on AVG, about how to temporarily disable AVG Anti-virus: https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en_US&urlName=How-to-disable-AVG

After disabling AVG, try running the installer again and see if there is any difference!
  • Nope, I still get the message
  • Hi @Kasmut!

This is an unusual problem!   Would you mind helping to debug it a bit further?

First, if you could take a screenshot of the error message when it opens, that could help us find a solution!

To take a screenshot, you can follow the instructions at this URL:

And then follow until Step 6, where you save the image from the Snippet Tool!

Then, you can attach the image here to this thread, or you can send it via email to support@missclue.com
  • edited November 2016
    Hi again @Kasmut

Thank you so much for getting the pictures, they really helped.

We've never seen this problem happen before!  However, if you turn on logging during the installation, which will create an installation log file, you can then send it to us, and we can review more detail on the error.

To run the installer with logging enabled, first we need to open a "Command Window" in the same folder as the installer MSI file.

The below steps may look a bit technical, but they are really very easy, especially after you try it once!

Follow these steps to open the Command Window:

1. In Windows, open the folder where the Peril In Pemberley installer file is located.
    2. Now, hold the Shift key on your keyboard, and while you are holding down Shift, right-click on the white background of the open folder window.
    3. In the menu that opens, look about half way down the menu items, and there should be one named "Open command window here". 
    4. Click the "Open command window here" menu item, and a black window / command console should open.

In case you haven't seen this done before, you can view the below video to see how this looks!  
    The video shows almost the same steps.  It shows how you can do the same thing, by shift-right-clicking directly on a folder, and opening the Command Window that way!

Video: How to access Command Prompt from any folder in Windows 7 - YouTube: 

Now that you have opened a Command Window in the right folder, you can run the command to start the Installer with logging enabled.

Follow these steps to run the installer with logging enabled:

1. Copy the below line:

msiexec /i "Miss Clue - Peril In Pemberley - Install.msi" /L*v install-log.txt

2. Right-click on the black background of the Command Window, and click "Paste" from the menu that opens.
    3. Press "Enter" on your keyboard.

You should then see the Peril In Pemberley installer screen open!  Like in this image:

Capture_installer_success1

Note: If you see an error window that looks like this:

Capture_installer_error1

It probably means that the Command Window mistakenly opened in the wrong folder.  If this happens, try following the steps above again for opening the Command Window, or just let me know, and I can post a few pictures to help!

Now, just follow the installer!  When it has the error, press the OK button on the error window, and then finish the installer (so that the installer windows are all closed.)

Now, in the same folder as the installer, you should see a file named this:

install-log.txt

That is the installation log file, which is just a text file, and contains technical information about the installer error.  Attach this file to an email, and send it to the support email address here:

support@missclue.com

That is it!  Now we can review the log file, and see if we can tell exactly what is causing the installer to not work correctly on your system!

Let me know if anything is not clear, and I can easily post more pictures to help out!

-Mintie
  • Thanks! Looks complicated, but I'm willing to try!
  • I've already come into a problem because my installer did not come in a folder, it just came in an icon on my desktop. I created a folder for it, but got the error message you posted above.
  • edited November 2016
    Hi @Kasmut!

Not a problem, could you post a screenshot of the icon on your desktop, and the folder you made?

Thanks!
  • The icon moved in the folder when I created it, but it looked just like it does in the folder:

pemberly3

• Thanks for the screenshot!  It looks like you are almost there!

Is the installer file the one which you downloaded from the MissClue.com website, or is it the Amazon copy?  If it is the Amazon copy, could you try the same set of steps, using the Installer file downloaded from the MissClue.com website?

Also, we have another idea which should ensure that Peril In Pemberley will run on your system without the installer, and it should  be ready in about 1 hour!
  • Thanks! I did go to the link you posted earlier which allowed me to download the installer from your page, but I never got a new icon on my desktop or a new folder indicating a difference between the installers. That one could be the amazon installer
  • edited November 2016

You are right!  The installer you have there, with this name:

Miss_Clue___Peril_In_Pemberley___Install

Is the Amazon installer!  It may be that something happened with the Amazon downloader, that caused the installer to be corrupted!

Since you have downloaded the MissClue.com installer already, it should be in your "Downloads" folder.

As a shortcut to open your downloads folder, follow these steps:

1. On your keyboard, hold the "Windows" key (the key between the Ctrl and Alt keys), and then press the letter R on the keyboard.
    2. This will open a small window, with a text field in it!
    3. Paste this line into the text field in that window:

%USERPROFILE%\Downloads

4. Press Enter, and a Folder window should open, that contains all of the downloads you have made with your web browser!
    5. Look for a file with this name:

Miss Clue - Peril In Pemberley - Install

6. Double-click that file, and see if the installer runs correctly!

If this works, you are all set!

- Mintie
  • Still didn't work, but I'm wondering the amazon installer isn't taking over/canceling out the other installer? Here's a screenshot with the highlighted one being the one I tried downloading from just now:

pem4

• Thanks for the screenshot!  You've been doing really great!

Yes, that looks like the right installer.  Since it is not working either when you run it, if you'd like, we can try another approach!

In about 15 minutes, there will be a new file for you in the MissClue.com download page.  It is a portable version of Peril In Pemberley, and it does not require an install!

It works just like the installed version, except you run it directly from a Folder, instead of clicking on an icon in your Start Menu or Desktop.

Give me a few minutes, and I'll message back with the name of the file for you to download!

- Mintie
  • Cool! You've been really great helping me with this problem! :)
  • @Kasmut It's ready just hold on one moment!
  • edited November 2016

The file is ready!  Visit this URL:

And then click the link with this name, to download the portable version:

Peril in Pemberley - Portable – PC 

The portable version is a .zip file, instead of an installer package.

To unpack the file and run Peril In Pemberley, follow these steps:

1. After the download is completed, in your Downloads folder, there should be a file with this name:

Miss Clue - Peril In Pemberley - PC - Portable

2. Right-click on that file, and in the menu that opens, there should be an item named "Extract All".  Click that item, and a window should open, which looks like this image:

Capture_extract_all1

3. Press the "Extract" button, and in a couple minutes, the files should be unzipped!
    4. Return to your Downloads folder, and there should be a new folder named this:

Miss Clue - Peril In Pemberley - PC - Portable

5. Open that folder, and it should show another folder, named "Peril In Pemberley".  Double-click on that folder, and the Folder window should now look like this image:

Capture_portable2
    6. Double-click on the file in the folder with the MissClue "M" icon (which is the selected file in the image above!)

Done!  Peril In Pemberley should now open and run smoothly!
  • Thank you so much! I'm really excited! I'm downloading the portable as I write :)