Halloween 2021 Ideas

edited September 2021 in VFK Developer Ideas!
Hi everyone, 

I don't post on actual devblog often so I figured I'd post them here. I hope they're still seen! 

--

ITEM IDEAS: 

- Revisiting Seasonal Haunted House walls: these walls are cool, but I noticed that they're dated/limited in some capacity
to the scale at which players build nowadays. I know its possible because we got updates to the Haunted Greenhouse this year! Most
noticeably in the 2015 Dyer Mansion walls (pictured below)
Screenshot_456
These walls are great! But you can only really build higher than the 4x4 with those pieces, and corners don't work out because there isn't any piece of the wall that is just the wallpaper (like the 4x4 III wall) 
If I had a preference on wall sizing I'd like them to follow the sizing of the Haunted Hotel Lobby walls (how they can be 4x4 or doubled in size with the 1x8 walls) BUT I think it would also be cool to have 1x1 pieces of the patterned walls to customize building more. (perhaps even adding frontal rotation to these walls?)
I see this as an opportunity to not only revitalize something from past Halloween years but also as a way of giving players more options when building. 

- BUYABLE Wall-Paintings/Fixtures: Because of the lack of accessible paintings I always try building around the paintings included on haunted house walls from the shop. However because of issues like the suggestion above, it's always a bit of a challenge to get them to work because of the wall its attached to. Pictured below are some of the "paintings" we've had in VFK long before antique paintings were a thing, and if they were separated from their respective walls (alongside some new additions the devs/artists come up with) I think that'd be awesome!
Screenshot_457

- MEMBERSHIP SET IDEA: VFK Halloween Icons: I can picture a membership based on the Victorian Age haunted mansion, Sleepy Hollow, or Esmeralda/Maleva! They all have pretty strong themes that I can see translating well into memberships. I'm pushing hard particularly for a Haunted Mansion membership because I really loved the Bayou membership and I think a lot of people would agree. 
A fair counter argument for a haunted mansion membership would be our yearly exchange items over the years, however I definitely can envision really nice items (we got that Pirate membership despite having other pirate items and I think those bundle items were high quality stuff!) 

- Gold Stamps Room Set: Vampire Castle: I think with the Dyer Mansion previously and the coming of this new 10-room mansion this morning, this idea doesn't seem too far fetched. I can see how maybe two Halloween themed room sets might not be ideal but just a thought! 
Screenshot_458

- ANTIQUE PAINTING IDEAS: Firstly I want to note that I'd like at least one of the new paintings to be a scenery/landscape painting just for a little variety as we've had a lot of portraits aside from the two moons and the Forest. I have the following quick ideas for potential Haunted Paintings this year. I'm also hoping that the frames are unique in size, shape & material/texture for some variety.
- Dracula
- Cemetery
- Haunted Mansion (maybe Sleepy Hollow? Castle?)
- Paintings of any of the ghosts from Sleepy Hollow
- Paintings of any of the 13 Victorian Mansion Ghosts
- Shipwreck/Ghost Ship
- Mr. Clutter
- Common fairytales with a ghostly animation? (idk, think along the lines of what they did with the QoH)
- The Cat from Dyer Mansion

- Bigger/Varying Mist: the current mist rugs we have are great, but it would be cool to have some in different sizes/shapes. Similarly to that of the clouds we have

- Lightning Strikes: Both as an active object or just a solid/static item (to avoid lag) 

- BUYABLE HALLOWEEN SKY MURALS: This has been an overall idea for VFK Building that I've had, but I think theres no better time to experiment with this than during a VFK October/Halloween Season! We can only do so much with the CAMPFIRE NIGHT SKY Mural & the Daytime one (which you cant even stack that high because the pattern isn't repeatable vertically) 
  • Foggy Night Sky 
  • Green/Orange/Purple tinted Night Sky
  • Ghostly Background 
I also just wanna stress making it buildable, so the builder has control over how vast they want their sky to be. I'll include pictures in the main post above. 

MoonMural1
MoonMural3

- GHOST Pirate Motif: I think the annual ghost pirate ship quest is really cool, especially seeing how all of the items look together (now that its been 13 years & counting). I'm thinking that we could maybe get some ghostly pirate figures or anything pirate-y in the dark blue/glowing aesthetic. 

- Wizarding School Halloween Furniture Exchange/Theme: totally *not* Harry Potter ....  

- Climbing Roses - Black / Dead: One of my favorite releases from Garden Contest season this year was the Climbing roses! I'd love for this item to be released in a Halloween variety 

- More Cemetery Monuments/Statues: (to be picture in main post above) I always see people being really creative with including Gargoyles/any other statues (like Valentine's Day) for creative cemeteries. However it would be really cool if we had some included in this years Cemetery set. There have been wall pieces in *very old* maze walls or retired buyables.. so those aren't as accessible. 
Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 2.29.34 PM
Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 2.31.33 PM
- Gothic Architecture Walls/Windows: (to be pictured in main post) We have the Medieval windows & Ghost Dragon, but it would be great to have some in varying sizes and more Halloween focused? (Vampire vibes, we technically have the Vampire Castle themed walls, but windows by themselves would be great!) 

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 2.35.27 PM
Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 2.37.00 PM

GENERAL IDEAS:

- EVENT IDEA: I think there is a lot of content just amongst the 13 ghosts at the Victorian Mansion, especially with their redesign some years ago, we don't often ask about their story... I think it would be really cool and unique for the dev's to give that mansion some more story through a Month-long event (it can be structured like the Button pin event) where we're hunting for these ghosts (separate from the 13 ghost hunting for the Cat/Skeleton) and getting more story/"lore" about them. Each ghost could give the player a poster or pin of them in which they collect for an ultimate prize at the end. 
        - I dont have many ideas in regards to how we actually "hunt" these ghosts but I can picture at least some of them being Host Room events. Or maybe the harp playing ghost could be imbedded into the haunted melodies event that runs. 
        - NOTE: It does not have to be all 13 ghosts, that can be a lot... the Devs can always just use whatever ghosts are easiest to work with i.e. the Harp Ghost (melodies), the Couple (Sleepy Hollow reward?), etc. 
        - this COULD... be in the form of Tasks/Challenge but I'd urge the devs to at least include some of the fun story/content to really make it unique so that it feels like we're taking on a big yet cohesive tale. 

Those are the main ideas I have for now! I'll be editing any more I think of, and including pics if I can find any for inspiration.

Comments

• Whoa yeah.  I want a Castle too.
    HAPPY SEPTEMBER
    I hope someone you love is tickling your feet.
    Wowza ;)
  • The walls would be GREAT to revise and also add new as well. But make it purchasable than going to the Maze. 

I would love if VFK could add more authentic autumn colored trees we could purchase, also animated versions that have leaves falling for the trees. The orange, red and yellow Halloween Trees are just not too realistic. 

Also more orange, yellow and red toned bushes for the fall/halloween season. 

A more authentic autumn waterscape. 

And some Halloween figurines would be nice!

More Halloween style walls should be added to the shops as well. To be honest, I have grown bored using the same material time and time again. Something new and refreshing should be adequate! 

And a Pumpkin Mask shaped like a pumpkin that goes around the head would be great!

I would like to see more animated items this Halloween. 
    Pixsig
  • The walls would be GREAT to revise and also add new as well. But make it purchasable than going to the Maze. 

I would love if VFK could add more authentic autumn colored trees we could purchase, also animated versions that have leaves falling for the trees. The orange, red and yellow Halloween Trees are just not too realistic. 

Also more orange, yellow and red toned bushes for the fall/halloween season. 

A more authentic autumn waterscape. 

And some Halloween figurines would be nice!

More Halloween style walls should be added to the shops as well. To be honest, I have grown bored using the same material time and time again. Something new and refreshing should be adequate! 

And a Pumpkin Mask shaped like a pumpkin that goes around the head would be great!

I would like to see more animated items this Halloween. 

Absolutely! definitely walls added to the shop. 

and there is definitely a need for more variety in Autumnal trees that are both more realistic & varying in height/shape. We really are only working with the 3 available to us right now (which tend to be short in larger rooms). 

----

NEW IDEAS (Will also edit in the main post) 

- BUYABLE HALLOWEEN SKY MURALS: This has been an overall idea for VFK Building that I've had, but I think theres no better time to experiment with this than during a VFK October/Halloween Season! We can only do so much with the CAMPFIRE NIGHT SKY Mural & the Daytime one (which you cant even stack that high because the pattern isn't repeatable vertically) 
    • Foggy Night Sky 
    • Green/Orange/Purple tinted Night Sky
    • Ghostly Background 
    I also just wanna stress making it buildable, so the builder has control over how vast they want their sky to be. I'll include pictures in the main post above. 

- GHOST Pirate Motif: I think the annual ghost pirate ship quest is really cool, especially seeing how all of the items look together (now that its been 13 years & counting). I'm thinking that we could maybe get some ghostly pirate figures or anything pirate-y in the dark blue/glowing aesthetic. 

- Wizarding School Halloween Furniture Exchange/Theme: totally *not* Harry Potter .... ;) 

- Climbing Roses - Black / Dead: One of my favorite releases from Garden Contest season this year was the Climbing roses! I'd love for this item to be released in a Halloween variety 

- More Cemetery Monuments/Statues: (to be picture in main post above) I always see people being really creative with including Gargoyles/any other statues (like Valentine's Day) for creative cemeteries. However it would be really cool if we had some included in this years Cemetery set. There have been wall pieces in *very old* maze walls or retired buyables.. so those aren't as accessible. 

- Gothic Architecture Walls/Windows: (to be pictured in main post) We have the Medieval windows & Ghost Dragon, but it would be great to have some in varying sizes and more Halloween focused? (Vampire vibes, we technically have the Vampire Castle themed walls, but windows by themselves would be great!) 

• Love these ideas!  Really hope more Murals can be made so when you stack them high they look like they belong!  I need more blood!  dripping blood that can be placed like the sparkles would make my Halloween! puddles that can be placed under the dripping blood would be a plus.
    There must always be blood, lots of blood!

I'm a lttle teapot short and stout!
  • Teapotprincess said:

Love these ideas!  Really hope more Murals can be made so when you stack them high they look like they belong!  I need more blood!  dripping blood that can be placed like the sparkles would make my Halloween! puddles that can be placed under the dripping blood would be a plus.

absolutely! being able to stack really high is one of the reasons Im only able to use the night sky panels we have. I hope the devs are able to give us more options! 
  • Love these ideas!!  Some are same ideas I just sent to the devblog but you posted pictures here!  That's even better.  I so want Gothic windows like you posted above!  Or embellishment pieces that are Gothic in style and free floating so we can make some windows we now have appear more Gothic or use the embellishments to stylize our buildings . 

Below is what I wrote to the devblog but I'm not sure if its too late for it to be reviewed and posted for Halloween ideas, so I'm sharing what I begged for, ah suggested here below....... 

Hi!  Happy Early HALLOWEEN! 

I love the animatronic items you have been giving us and I would like to see an animatronic OWL made for Halloween. An Owl with big moving, blinking eyes at least, and a float item of course! If the owl said "HOOT" that would be a hoot too!  

More realistic autumn colored trees in various stages of losing leaves and in a variety of sizes, especially bigger than any we have now for some of the huge rooms we build in.  
    A variety of sizes of tree branches to be used in making our own trees.  Branches that go in different directions, and are free floating.  
    Varying lengths and thickness of Spanish Moss (free floating) that we can hang from trees, fences, building, etc.  Spanish Moss is so spooktacular!  If the Spanish Moss could slightly sway would so add to the eeriness of the room.

More fog, in darker colors like gray and even an almost black, and in a variety of sizes too. 
    And more fog pieces like the CANDY CANE FOG. Love the variegation of the colors and softness of the blending on those fog pieces.  We NEED this style fog in a variegated greens, in blues, in purples, in reds, in oranges for Halloween! PLEASE make these for us.

More ornate wrought iron embellishments like the Green House pieces.  For Halloween would love to see some in black wrought iron and Gothic style. ( free float and forward facing too, of course. lol ) 
    Love love love the embellishments you released this summer!!

More WINDOW styles and sizes.  Ornate gothic windows or at least window frame pieces we could add to windows we already have would be so cool.
    More windows that appear cracked, or broken glass missing would be a nice addition too.

More DOOR styles and sizes.  

VERY STEEP GOTHIC roof pieces for houses,  and castle turret tops.  
    Turret tops that are shaped like a witch hat would be neat looking too!  
    And PLEASE update the Barn, Colonial, Haunted Hotel, roof pieces to face FORWARD.  The only roof pieces that do as of now as far as I know are the Medieval House Roof. I love the Medieval House Roof and use it a lot but it's not the best for some styles of buildings.

I am again begging for old maze walls to return.  I wish after they leave the Victorian mazes, they went into a Recycle type shop or catalog where we could buy them with gold stamps.  Or if others have an idea how retired maze walls could come back, please post your suggestions.  My favorite stonewall from the past is the Forgotten Village stone wall.  
    Please revisit the FORGOTTEN VILLAGE STONE WALLS and add corner  and block pieces to the collection. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. That wall has the nicest stone texture and is so user friendly!!

Could archways please be updated to face forward?!  Be they sand castle, or maze walls, or wall collection archways, all archways,  this is really needed!!  At least for right now, please update Halloween themed archways.

Please update the Green House pieces so more will be free floating and more face forward!  Like the 1x4 walls at least....please.
    And could we get NEW Green House Wall 1x1 and half-size pieces that have no color tint to them, free float, and face forward?  These could be used to make any size window we need. :)    I absolutely LOVE the two newest ones that were released this summer! 

A new collection of Castle walls that are more aged and worn looking and have some ruin pieces too would be great!  
    New "Halloween color" walls...Walls in Purple, Walls in Green, Walls in Orange.
    Updated Medieval TUDOR wall collection to comes in other colors. A darker tan, and of course walls in the traditional Halloween colors as mentioned above. 

Would like to see a crime scene chalk outline added to the new Halloween items this year.  

So looking forward to seeing what surprises you have in store for all of us this Halloween season. I thank you in advance for the awesome things you make for us to build with, or wear, to just plain drool over!
    Happy Halloween!!

• i want more items that call bats into the room

• those are amazing ideas @ScrapperGal  !! 

I love the Maze idea because there are some GREAT halloween maze walls that they've released over the years--yet I only ever see people (if any at all) building with only short/small areas of them because there just aren't enough in circulation! 
    • I only see it as a win-win from all sides here, the developers save a bit of time on developing/designing a 'new maze wall' and that time can be reallocated elsewhere AND the players are able to have these previously released walls.
    I also love your recommendation for additional autumnal trees, I agree that room scaling has gotten bigger and bigger as time goes on in the building-sphere of VFK. The 3 trees we have now (all different shades and just 1 tree color per style) get a little repetitive. and to some extent, Autumn Oak trees (the seasonal ones from old quest) just isn't cost effective for players/new players. 

@Doodlepufflove we currently have a "Spooky Bat Tree" (i think is the name?) that has a bat fly to it and it stays in front of items for the most part, but I agree that it would be cool to have another item that brings bats to your room like the butterfly feeders. (Maybe a Coffin item? or a stalactite that you can hang up?)

---------------------------------------

Overall a big theme here is time-saving and releasing *some* of the items from the past THIRTEEN YEARS of VFK Halloweens. Items which, in most cases, never return despite being from things outside of understandably rare events like Antique/Host/Furniture Exchange. When it comes to mazes I think it wouldn't hurt to give us some of these walls back, they'd feel brand new! (especially if you surprised us with front facing rotations) 

I'm very excited to see how VFK handles this October, and if this 2nd half of September is any indicator that VFK is bringing their A-game for Halloween, then I know to expect some great things! 
  • This necessarily isn't Halloween themed--but I was looking at my black hollyhocks so it came up lol. I would love if we could have a furni version of all heirloom plants/a way to turn off or pause the growing cycle. Firstly because we have some gorgeous heirloom plants and I'd love to use them in building without having to worry about them wilting during the competitions, but also secondly for a more personal reason--I know me and so many others cannot get on every day/every few days to water out plants due to health issues or just other real life situations, sometimes time gets away from us, and I hate losing my heirlooms especially due to circumstances outside of my control.