Make Area 51 Conference Room Tradable!

Hello, I already sent a help in game about this and spoke with @VFK_Brizzie via IM for a bit about it but.....

Can we please make the Area 51 Conference Room Tradable? There are a few players who would like to trade their room and few like me who are searching for one.

I know @VFK_Brizzie said they would look into this but I just wanted to possibly get an update please?? Thank you!

Comments

• Was this room like an old VIP gift?

ABOUT: Signed up: February 2017 Miss Clue only: March 2017 Regularly playing the kingdom: April 2017 hehehehehe...... Came for MISS CLUE, stayed for VFK <3

Miss Clue Mysteries Border 2 

VFK thiefpeasant from enigma 1
    tazzie grinzzzz by moi
    Snazzy beanieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    surfer and her secrets lol
    G FOR GIFT GIFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Screenshot_1 VFK 000 winter65 VFK GIFTTTTTTTTT's BIRTHDAY VFK shy no shy scaleenigma questions my existence

LOGO from BLUEWIZ

Made by @bluewiz
    THANK YOU!  

santa claus listening to me
    mrs claus lovvvve
    mrs claus 2022 music question
  • Thank you for saying this! I've been wanting this room for ages and would love it if it was tradable.
  • Had no idea it existed, lol!  Thanks MGMT for giving me something else to look for ;)  Good to have you back, btw.  It's been too long.

Flame

You'd be surprised what you can do with the short end of the stick
  • edited May 2020
    Yes I miss owning one :(

More rooms:
    Red Sydney Apartment
    Gold Stamp Pool Rooms
    Original Football Stadium w/ Food Bar
    Mine Tunnel Entrance

• edited May 2020
    @GIFT Yes it was a room that came with original Founder's membership

@MrYaz ikr!

@Flamanar Nice to see you too! Yes it's been too long we should catch up sometime. And you're welcome! Lol :)

@I.Am.Chalk
    I agree with those rooms as well! 

• The football room with the snack bar trades @I.Am.Chalk

Might be an unpopular opinion but I think the Beta/Australian rooms should remain untradable. I know people have been requesting they be tradable since their release, but Beta and Australian founders were taking a big risk with their purchases since VFK was still in its infancy, and I think they should be rewarded for taking that risk with the exclusivity of the room. 

Whenever I walk into a founder guest room, it's nice knowing the owner helped provide the foundation that turned VFK into what it is today. It's an interesting idea though -- if the majority of beta/australian founders would prefer to have the rooms tradable then I wouldn't be opposed, not too many of us still around. However, I'm not entirely sure it would be possible due to VFK's legacy system that prevents the developers from touching outdated code. I have talked with Enigma about the beta founder membership just a few weeks ago and it didn't seem like any changes were possible, nor was it a priority for them
  • Thanks for supporting VFK in the beginning @Tomorrow we do appreciate it but I don't see what making it exclusively not tradable does. If the beta founder member doesn't want to trade it they won't trade but perhaps that beta founder member doesn't want to play anymore and would like to keep the legacy alive, then making it tradable would be a good idea. 

I get your point about you supporting VFK early on but its simple if you don't want to trade the room you don't have too. Other beta founder members who do want to trade the room should have the right to since they also supported VFK.
  • edited May 2020
    Tomorrow said:

The football room with the snack bar trades @I.Am.Chalk

Might be an unpopular opinion but I think the Beta/Australian rooms should remain untradable. I know people have been requesting they be tradable since their release, but Beta and Australian founders were taking a big risk with their purchases since VFK was still in its infancy, and I think they should be rewarded for taking that risk with the exclusivity of the room. 

Whenever I walk into a founder guest room, it's nice knowing the owner helped provide the foundation that turned VFK into what it is today. It's an interesting idea though -- if the majority of beta/australian founders would prefer to have the rooms tradable then I wouldn't be opposed, not too many of us still around. However, I'm not entirely sure it would be possible due to VFK's legacy system that prevents the developers from touching outdated code. I have talked with Enigma about the beta founder membership just a few weeks ago and it didn't seem like any changes were possible, nor was it a priority for them
    If you want to hold onto your room, you don't have to trade it. Trades require consent from both parties. Beta founders don't have to trade the room if they don't want to. However, I think that there should be flexibility that allows everyone (not just beta founders) to do what they want with their in-game items. You're correct that beta founders took a risk by spending a lot of money on a brand new game. With that, I think that it's even more important to give them the flexibility to do what they want with their items. I would just like the option to trade for the room to be available (not asking for VFK to give me the room outright). 

Not everyone cares about "status" or other things that are beside the point. VFK isn't giving this room to just anyone or making it buyable. There's a finite amount so I don't see what the issue is.
  • I think I prefer certain items to stay exclusive to people who purchase certain memberships. Otherwise, to me, that kind of defeats the purpose of the “exclusive” items that VFK advertises with every membership release. If anyone can get their hands on any membership item through trading, I don’t really see how that makes anything exclusive anymore, and then the benefits of purchasing memberships diminish drastically.

As far as I remember, the Beta Founder membership was only available for 48 hours. It was intended to be very limited and special to those who chose to “invest” in the game at its very early stages. It doesn’t really seem so special to me anymore if it become available to all, over a decade later.

Just my two cents! Coming from someone who wasn’t a beta founder.
  • I agree with both of you @MGMT and @MrYaz that if the majority of beta or Australian founders want that flexibility, then that's something VFK should consider providing. I think it would need to be up to the founders to voice their support or opposition to such an idea.

As it stands right now, any owners of those guest rooms supported VFK before it was an established game. Once they become tradable, you would never know for sure. That's why I enjoy the exclusivity of it. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to trade for another Area 51 Conference Room or Nighttime Sydney Apartment guest room, but not at the expense of that exclusivity.

I am open to the idea if the majority of founders are in favor of it, I'm just casually voicing my dissent.
  • I think it should be tradable, Its already exclusive i have not seen many of them around. What if everyone who has the room quits then that room will stay in their account forever and the room will be lost forever. If you don't want to trade it thats fine but it would be a good option i personally joined late in the game and it would be nice to have one of these that i didn't get the opportunity to get! :)
  • Tomorrow said:

The football room with the snack bar trades @I.Am.Chalk

Good to know, thanks Tom!

Personally I would love these rooms to be tradable so I can potentially own them again. I was originally a founder but since that account is long gone and inaccessible and the rooms being non-tradable, I can never own/use them again.

For me, it is slightly for "status" that yes I helped the game in the early stages and this was an exclusive item I had that feels like it was ripped away from me (kinda strong example but how it feels)... but also the designs for the rooms are stunning and I would give anything to own them again.

• @MGMT Ok hold the phone.  Does anyone have a picture of the Area 51 room? 

I'm one of the original Beta Founders and had Aussie memberships. 

I have the Sydney rooms (very classy).  Some other VIP rooms apparently were released (can't for the life of me remember when, but I have at least 8 VIP 'Mine Tunnel' rooms, 4 VIP 'Victorian Wintery Front Yards', 2 VIP 'Australian Daytime' Rooms, 1 VIP 'Australian Nighttime' room, 4 VIP 'Grand Garden' rooms, and 8 VIP 'Sunset Beach Retreat' rooms.  And a 2010 Football Room that I have no idea where it came from lol. 

@Zoee , I remember something about 48 hours as well.  However, I'm undecided as to whether to allow VIP rooms to be tradable or not.  I never gave it any thought.  And @Tomorrow , if it's a coding problem, then it's a non-issue if they can't go back and change it.  You are correct.

I -don't- have an Area 51 room.  Are you sure that was Beta Founder, MGMT?

On a more humorous note................................................................did anyone get the 'real items'??  LOL!  Sorry, I had to 'go there' ;)  And yes I did update my address :P

Any info would be great, thx everyone.  Flame

• I’m not sure if it will allow me to upload a photo since I’m on my phone. If it doesn’t upload you can go on VFK Insider and search “Area 51” and there will be a photo there @Flamanar. If you have the night-time Sydney high rise apartment then you should have the Area 51 Conference room as they came from the same membership. D7E8FC98-1A93-4B54-B847-02CD5DC672CE
  • Good to see the other side of it but in my opinion, even if it becomes tradable it still maintains its exclusivity because there are very few of them left around. You can also still feel proud of yourself for supporting VFK in its early stages even with the room becoming tradable. It’s not like there will be 10 of them on the popular list all of a sudden. A lot of people didn’t get the opportunity to support VFK with the membership because of being too young back then to purchase a membership or not finding out about the game until after. All memberships that come out allow items to be traded. This is no different. Any membership we purchase now also supports the game. Especially when VFK wasn’t very active a few years ago, those who bought the dragon memberships and so on supported VFK. Should those items be made non-tradable?

It’s really easy, make the room tradable and those who don’t want to trade it don’t have to. I know you @Tomorrow love your Area 51 room and feel very close to it and want to use it as a symbol to show you are one of the early players but I think you can still do that and allow other beta founder members to trade theirs if they wish.

I don’t see why other beta founder members shouldn’t be allowed to trade their guest room when they also supported VFK.
  • edited May 2020
    Some other VIP rooms apparently were released (can't for the life of me remember when, but I have at least 8 VIP 'Mine Tunnel' rooms, 4 VIP 'Victorian Wintery Front Yards', 2 VIP 'Australian Daytime' Rooms, 1 VIP 'Australian Nighttime' room, 4 VIP 'Grand Garden' rooms, and 8 VIP 'Sunset Beach Retreat' rooms.  And a 2010 Football Room that I have no idea where it came from lol.

Mine Tunnel - Got one free for every VIP membership you owned in March 2009
    Victorian Wintery Front Yard - Same story but January 2009
    Australian Daytime Room - 1 per Australian Founder Membership
    Australian Nighttime Room - 1 per Beta Founder Membership
    Grand Garden - Buyable, not retired
    Sunset Beach Retreat - Same story as Mine Tunnel and Victorian Wintery Front Yard but May 2009
    Football Field - Buyable, retired 2010

Good to see the other side of it but in my opinion, even if it becomes tradable it still maintains its exclusivity because there are very few of them left around.

I think you're taking some liberties with the word exclusive there -- if it becomes tradable, then it is no longer 'exclusive' to Beta Founders. I'm using exclusive to mean it's restricted or limited to the person, group, or area concerned.

All memberships that come out allow items to be traded. This is no different. Any membership we purchase now also supports the game. Especially when VFK wasn’t very active a few years ago, those who bought the dragon memberships and so on supported VFK. Should those items be made non-tradable? 

Dragon mounts and their respective rooms are not tradable. Membership-specific VIP pins are not tradable. Dragon summoning amulets are not tradable. The silver tricorn, Akubra, and swagman hats are not tradable. There are always aspects of each membership that remain exclusive to those who purchased the membership. The founder memberships have always had components that were tradable such as the silver spinning wheel, the beta founder pin, the didgeridoo, and kangaroo pin. I think VFK intended for some of the perks to be exclusive, to entice people to buy the memberships.

It’s really easy, make the room tradable and those who don’t want to trade it don’t have to.

With the legacy system I mentioned, I don't think it's quite as easy as you think. It would require them to create a workaround for old outdated code, rather than modifying the code directly.

I don’t see why other beta founder members shouldn’t be allowed to trade their guest room when they also supported VFK.
    If enough founders want this flexibility, I think it's something VFK should consider. I am glad @I.Am.Chalk shared her situation with us and voiced her support and I think it would be great if more founders did the same, whether in support or opposition. One of the many reasons I invested in the founder memberships was because I knew there was no way to trade for some of the items, so I think it would be odd if that were reversed 12 years later.
  • Fair enough if the code is hard to update then nothing we can do there but I was told it would be looked into by @VFK_Brizzie

Any other founders members have a position on this?
  • I would LOVE to have the sydney apartment and snowy victorian yard. I never gotten a chance to get a membership because I was so young(like middle school coming from vmk young); first membership was back in 2012 maybe when gold stamps came out (and had used a gift card).

It be hard to get more opinions from founders as I see the same people post on MissClue and/or they have quit as mentioned. Maybe some rooms will be tradable and others not, that probably will be the best compromise.
    art-starbucks 
  • @prettyredstone The Victorian Wintery Front Yard room trades and I have one available :) Waiting for the anniversary celebration to get underway if you want to keep me in mind later. And I agree Miss Clue might not be the best platform to reach every founder, it would probably have to be through email.
  • edited May 2020
    Apologies to staff and members here alike.  my response was inappropriate and I was incorrect.  AND stupid. 

Flame.

• ok, I do have that room (thanks Zoee).  I always called it the VIP 'Family Room', mainly because I used it for Thanksgiving the first year or two...and probably changed the title of the room.  12 years later, I had no memory of it being called an Area51 conference room, lol.  And thanks for the VFK Insider heads up (something else I either didn't know about or forgot).  I can spend a day over there...when I get some time.

I don't see VFK making it tradeable, but what do I know?  If it was 'exclusive for original beta founder members', then I'm not sure that should ever change.  If I left game tomorrow, my rare would leave with me, so the point about the room being 'lost' doesn't work, either, even though some of my stuff is incredibly rare. Yes, it would be lost. 

How about another scenario:  I leave game in 2011 for 8 years.  I come back to game last year after my hiatus...and still have all my stuff.  That was kindof nice, and I had like a 401k-type return, making getting back into the game much easier.  If I had ditched all my stuff back then, I wouldn't be feeling well at all today.  Let alone maybe even deciding it's not worth coming back if I got rid of all my stuff and am left 'starting over'.

I do know one guy who traded his rare away.  Now he's back in game.  Clawing to get stuff back.  That's no fun at all.  Just a different perspective, but also a real-world testimonial from an original member.

I do see both sides.  The person willing to trade it would forfeit their right to exclusivity.  They may regret that decision, or maybe not.  I do know there are things in VFK that are -assigned- to people by VFK for one reason or another.  That's how it was advertised, that's the way some things in game work, and VFK followed through.  Asking them to change the system because some people want that stuff over a decade later?  Doesn't seem like an 'easy sell' to me.

An answer...and a non-answer ;)

Flame

• For the sake of historical preservation and clarity, and informational as well, here's some pics I found tonight (wish I had downloaded the video....hindsight).  Enjoy:

Screenshot_109
    Screenshot_98
    Screenshot_79
    Screenshot_63

• edited May 2020
    Interesting thanks for posting that @Flamanar

I didn't know the room was called "Regency Ballroom". I think on the VFK Wiki it is titled Area 51 Conference Room.

With that being said, we are able to trade the Platinum Spinning Wheel and Founders pin which should also be exclusive but not the Silver Tricorn hat or guest room. Either none should be tradable or all of them should. It doesn't make sense that we can pick and choose what is tradable for exclusivity. Also I don't see anywhere on those screenshots that looks any different to any other membership we purchase where we can't trade over the rooms or items. Like @Tomorrow mentioned, the only rooms that aren't tradable are animal stable rooms but the Regency Ballroom isn't a stable room.

I'm a bit confused because I have the Founders Pin, Tricorn Hat, and Platinum Spinning Wheel but not the Regency Ballroom. Does that mean I am an original founders member but just not the leading account which got the ballroom? If so, is an option to allow those who are founders members to trade the room with each other?

I am one of the individuals interested in this guest room and that's why I'm pushing to make it tradable.
  • My guess why it isn't tradeable and the other items are, is because for a long time rooms could not be traded in any fashion and when that feature became live a lot of very old or original rooms did not trade.  There are actually a lot more old rooms that can trade now than there used to be, so I can definitely see the founder room becoming trade-able if enough people ask!

I'd like to add my vote for it being trade-able because its fun to have the ability to trade!  I do like some things not being trade-able such as certain pins because they are a status symbol, like if you attended a party or bought a VIP membership.

Also Thanks so much for the pictures @Flamanar I remember seeing that page and also watching the video :'D I was so young then!! lol

Round of applause for all original supporters! 
    =D> =D> =D>

DazzledreamSignaturemistymew
    thank you dazzlerdream for the signature
  • @MistyMew OMG YOUR POST EXPLAINED SO MUCH!

Looking at Flamanar's post, these are the things I'm very much interested about. You know it, haha. I would love to know more about these:

interestinggggggggggggg
    interestinggggggggggggg1

Would love to see behind the scenes, interviews and such. :O

What went on with VFK?

How was it borne?

Concepts, ideas, graphics teams' thoughts. Ooo…. It's all so very interesting.

I ALSO WANT TO ADD:

Back in 2017, I have used the site waybackmachine.org and searched Virtual Family Kingdom. And I believe I saw 50,000 people/email/supporters (?) sign up for VFK beta launch.

SO....

If we were to assume that they all successfully were supporters, there might be 50,000 Area51/Regency Ballroom/Family Room and other pixel prizes floating around.

BUT...

The mathematical formula for probability - if you apply that let's say the numbers go down to a sum total 8%-10%/50,000 = 4,000 to 5,000 (ugh math, my brain summarizing lololol)… There's still thousands around (locked inside dead accounts, multiple in some accounts that 'maybe' bought more than 1 and other possibilities).

But still my point is, there will be thousands available. THOUSANDS. Some return to play and will have the room. And with the available regular players right now (lesser), I don't think it hurts to make it tradable to circulate among the few.

I need to find that screenshot, lol. If I'm wrong, staff can dispute my findings.

ERGO: I'm gonna vote to have this room tradable! I'm basing it on the data I have collected.

@Flamanar Thanks for the pics! That is a major throwback.

@Chad Finally I posted what I think. :P

I think I need more coffee, sorry for the scattered thought post. XD I hope you get the ideas I want to say.

Tagging some friends to see what they think:

@Nautilus
    @Blossomflower
    @millsfan

ABOUT: Signed up: February 2017 Miss Clue only: March 2017 Regularly playing the kingdom: April 2017 hehehehehe...... Came for MISS CLUE, stayed for VFK <3

Miss Clue Mysteries Border 2 

VFK thiefpeasant from enigma 1
    tazzie grinzzzz by moi
    Snazzy beanieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    surfer and her secrets lol
    G FOR GIFT GIFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Screenshot_1 VFK 000 winter65 VFK GIFTTTTTTTTT's BIRTHDAY VFK shy no shy scaleenigma questions my existence

LOGO from BLUEWIZ

Made by @bluewiz
    THANK YOU!  

santa claus listening to me
    mrs claus lovvvve
    mrs claus 2022 music question
  • GIFT said:

@MistyMew OMG YOUR POST EXPLAINED SO MUCH!

Looking at Flamanar's post, these are the things I'm very much interested about. You know it, haha. I would love to know more about these:

interestinggggggggggggg
    interestinggggggggggggg1

What went on with VFK?

How was it borne?

I ALSO WANT TO ADD:

Back in 2017, I have used the site waybackmachine.org and searched Virtual Family Kingdom. And I believe I saw 50,000 people/email/supporters (?) sign up for VFK beta launch.

SO....

If we were to assume that they all successfully were supporters, there might be 50,000 Area51/Regency Ballroom/Family Room and other pixel prizes floating around.

BUT...

The mathematical formula for probability - if you apply that let's say the numbers go down to a sum total 8%-10%/50,000 = 4,000 to 5,000 (ugh math, my brain summarizing lololol)… There's still thousands around (locked inside dead accounts, multiple in some accounts that 'maybe' bought more than 1 and other possibilities).

But still my point is, there will be thousands available. THOUSANDS. Some return to play and will have the room. And with the available regular players right now (lesser), I don't think it hurts to make it tradable to circulate among the few.

I need to find that screenshot, lol. If I'm wrong, staff can dispute my findings.

ERGO: I'm gonna vote to have this room tradable! I'm basing it on the data I have collected.

@Flamanar Thanks for the pics! That is a major throwback.

@Chad Finally I posted what I think. :P

I think I need more coffee, sorry for the scattered thought post. XD I hope you get the ideas I want to say.

Tagging some friends to see what they think:

@Nautilus
    @Blossomflower
    @millsfan

I don’t think the number of people who signed up for beta testing is an accurate reflection of the number of people who purchased the Beta Founder membership. It was only available for 48 hours, so 50,000 sales in that amount of time seems like a stretch. I think only a very small fraction of players purchased the membership. If you google it, you can find some very old message boards of people debating on whether or not to trust the site (given that it was very early on in its development).

As for the “in real life” membership benefits, I think a lot of people who actually purchased the membership missed out of those too. I’d be interested in seeing them as well. I wonder if VFK would consider uploading them somewhere (assuming that they still have them).
  • I am wondering what happened to the behind the scenes vfk dvd. I’ve always been intriguied to see the process of how game companies make their games. I also think it’s weird they were going to give autographed merchandise, but never did.

As for the room, I could agree with either side, (so I don’t know which side to take).

I’ve always thought it’s cool when games have status items signifying a player was a part of an event or sign up date (ex. Area 51 room). However, I always thought a better way to give players this status is to put a “Beta Day 1” Golden badge above their lanyard on their profile (like vmk). Not to say vfk has to copy vmk, but it’s just a good idea (and other games have sign up date badges too).

I and other beta players suggested this many times, but vfk just gave pins (and oddly gave “beta day 1” loot to players that signed up within the first year?).

I always felt the way they handled the newer “beta day 1” loot was extremely pointless since people who signed up as far as a year after the first day of vfk could walk around as if they’ve been here since day 1. If something says “Beta Day 1”, it should be for people that were online day 1... it doesn’t say “Beta YEAR 1”...

After scrutinizing how they’ve handled beta status, the entire thing is a mess. People who aren’t beta day 1 players have beta gear, so who even cares at this point if beta founders are able to trade their room? I feel the New Beta gear defeated the purpose of “beta day 1”.

When beginning this post, I wasn’t sure what to think; now after thinking of how vfk has handled beta status, it’s all over the place.
  • @GIFT

My parents did get me the founders membership at the time, as I really wanted it!  So I do have the room, even though I do not think I would trade it if it were trade-able, I see no reason someone else should not be able to trade the room if they wanted.

I did receive the in-real items as well, the shipment of the items came out a couple years later as I recall, though that happens with a lot of Kick Starters, and you had to confirm your address at the time to receive the items, I know there was a shirt and boomerang and some other stuff, a lot of it was downloadable, though I can't remember everything in it, as it was so long ago.

It's interesting to see the features and the direction they had in mind for VFK in the beginning!  The only thing we don't seem to have now is the group/club feature, though I suppose that exists to some extent with the pony clubs.

It would be fun if VFK released a web store with merchandise to buy though, as I'd love to have more real life VFK themed items, maybe with a free virtual counterpart as well!
    Sheep_Trimmed blossomflower Sheep_Trimmed  - Just ask if you'd like me to make you a GIF or Sig Bar!
  • Thanks for all the input everyone hopefully VFK can make a decision on this soon. @VFK
  • MGMT said:

Interesting thanks for posting that @Flamanar

I didn't know the room was called "Regency Ballroom". I think on the VFK Wiki it is titled Area 51 Conference Room.

With that being said, we are able to trade the Platinum Spinning Wheel and Founders pin which should also be exclusive but not the Silver Tricorn hat or guest room. Either none should be tradable or all of them should. It doesn't make sense that we can pick and choose what is tradable for exclusivity. Also I don't see anywhere on those screenshots that looks any different to any other membership we purchase where we can't trade over the rooms or items. Like @Tomorrow mentioned, the only rooms that aren't tradable are animal stable rooms but the Regency Ballroom isn't a stable room.

I'm a bit confused because I have the Founders Pin, Tricorn Hat, and Platinum Spinning Wheel but not the Regency Ballroom. Does that mean I am an original founders member but just not the leading account which got the ballroom? If so, is an option to allow those who are founders members to trade the room with each other?

I am one of the individuals interested in this guest room and that's why I'm pushing to make it tradable.
    @MGMT It is confusing.  But I believe things in the beginning were........ugh...........'fluid'??  LOL  Game was rough but worked (like in almost any early beta videogame).  As to your personal issue with not having the room?  Hmm.  I'm not sure why you don't have it.  Maybe only people who bought beta founders within 48 hours got the room.  That's my best guess my friend.

GIFT said:

interestinggggggggggggg
    interestinggggggggggggg1

What went on with VFK?

How was it borne?

I ALSO WANT TO ADD:

SO....

BUT...

@GIFT the 'real items' included the comic book, boomerang, DVD, etc.  Those were a matter of much argument for years (sorry VFK, I'm still waiting for the real items, so...lol).  Worse, eventually on the old fan forum, those who argued about not getting the 'real items' were basically told to 'sit down and shut up' (not VFK's fault!!).  The fact that we didn't receive them was explained away as 'well they were BONUS items'.  Of course, our response was 'did you read the part when it mentioned the VALUE of the items?!'.  Plus all the cool stuff  we would have liked to see in the comics, DVD, boomerang, etc.  I only know one person who got the real items:  and I found them today.  Blossomflower.  We did purchase the memberships as a risk, and most of us were heavily looking forward to the exclusive real items.  Years went by, people forgot them or gave up.  Except me.  lol  That being said, would have been cool.
    Zoee said:

I don’t think the number of people who signed up for beta testing is an accurate reflection of the number of people who purchased the Beta Founder membership. It was only available for 48 hours, so 50,000 sales in that amount of time seems like a stretch. I think only a very small fraction of players purchased the membership. If you google it, you can find some very old message boards of people debating on whether or not to trust the site (given that it was very early on in its development).

As for the “in real life” membership benefits, I think a lot of people who actually purchased the membership missed out of those too. I’d be interested in seeing them as well. I wonder if VFK would consider uploading them somewhere (assuming that they still have them).

@ZOEE I agree.  I'm thinking 48 hours as well.  And even I was on the fence until like the last few minutes until the deadline.  That large number was the massive wave of VMK players who fell into a 'vacuum' when VMK closed.  No doubt the vast majority were 'free' players.  Everyone was checking out VFK, not necessarily joining.  Many were kids, and VFK was beta and just starting.  And $50 was more expensive in 2008 than it is today (iPhones, folks LOL).
    millsfan said:

I am wondering what happened to the behind the scenes vfk dvd. I’ve always been intriguied to see the process of how game companies make their games. I also think it’s weird they were going to give autographed merchandise, but never did.

As for the room, I could agree with either side, (so I don’t know which side to take).

I’ve always thought it’s cool when games have status items signifying a player was a part of an event or sign up date (ex. Area 51 room). However, I always thought a better way to give players this status is to put a “Beta Day 1” Golden badge above their lanyard on their profile (like vmk). Not to say vfk has to copy vmk, but it’s just a good idea (and other games have sign up date badges too).

I and other beta players suggested this many times, but vfk just gave pins (and oddly gave “beta day 1” loot to players that signed up within the first year?).

I always felt the way they handled the newer “beta day 1” loot was extremely pointless since people who signed up as far as a year after the first day of vfk could walk around as if they’ve been here since day 1. If something says “Beta Day 1”, it should be for people that were online day 1... it doesn’t say “Beta YEAR 1”...

After scrutinizing how they’ve handled beta status, the entire thing is a mess. People who aren’t beta day 1 players have beta gear, so who even cares at this point if beta founders are able to trade their room? I feel the New Beta gear defeated the purpose of “beta day 1”.

When beginning this post, I wasn’t sure what to think; now after thinking of how vfk has handled beta status, it’s all over the place.

@Millsfan  didn't mean to confuse anyone my friend.  VFK inherited a MASSIVE amount of sudden players when they opened.  The original fan forum was disaster and run very poorly.  There was a lot of confusion, some miscommunication, etc.  It would be cool to see behind the scenes, absolutely.  FYI:  I love your idea for a special 'icon' above our title or something, identifying us as -LEGITIMATE- Beta Day 1 members.  Like you said, today it looks like everyone in game was Beta day 1 at this point.  The 'specialness' has been eroded.   Acknowledging the 'originals' would be quite special to me personally.

Blossomflower said:

@GIFT

My parents did get me the founders membership at the time, as I really wanted it!  So I do have the room, even though I do not think I would trade it if it were trade-able, I see no reason someone else should not be able to trade the room if they wanted.

I did receive the in-real items as well, the shipment of the items came out a couple years later as I recall, though that happens with a lot of Kick Starters, and you had to confirm your address at the time to receive the items, I know there was a shirt and boomerang and some other stuff, a lot of it was downloadable, though I can't remember everything in it, as it was so long ago.

It's interesting to see the features and the direction they had in mind for VFK in the beginning!  The only thing we don't seem to have now is the group/club feature, though I suppose that exists to some extent with the pony clubs.

It would be fun if VFK released a web store with merchandise to buy though, as I'd love to have more real life VFK themed items, maybe with a free virtual counterpart as well!

@Blossomflower you're the only person I know who received the 'real items'.  do you still have those?  Even a picture of them would be awesome!!!!!!!!!  And.......YES!  A merchandise 'store' for people to buy VFK T-shirts and such would not only bring extra revenue into VFK, it would also be:  free advertising ;)  That's one of the best ideas I've heard.  I just wish I had thought of it first, rofl!  ;)  Mousepads, coffee mugs, etc.  That kind of thing is very affordable to set up now, and I'm sure VFK has NO shortage of artwork that would rock some serious merchandise!  Wow. 

Final note:  folks, the pics I uploaded were for nostalgia, not confusion, not VFK bashing or anything.  If that resulted, then I'm sorry.  Was not my intent.  I was actually excited that I stumbled across the pics while looking for....something else.  I have WAY too many screenshots and pictures. lol.  Enjoy them folks, please.  No hard feelings towards VFK.  They inherited a massive challenge when they opened.  The fact that they're here 12 years later is a testament to their resiliency.  Hoping for at least another 12 years of VFK :) 

Flame

This discussion has been closed.