Rustic/Pioneer-type suggestions

edited February 13 in VFK Developer Ideas!
What I'd really like to see would be a seriously rustic wooden (log?) cabin.  Large sized.  And a second floor that we could walk on.  Something like this has probably already been released, and I just don't know about it, lol.  I think it would look cool.  Release a furnish line of really rustic-looking wood furnish, wood-burning stove.  Stuff like that.  Something that would be built by hand in the snowy wilderness.  Would look cool.  Just my opinion ;)  Thanks!

Flame

You'd be surprised what you can do with the short end of the stick

Comments

  • edited February 16
      Maybe this could be part of the items you have to craft during Survival Month (November). We did have a crafted cabin in 2018 I think, but this idea I think would be cool this year! Rustic theme, maybe? Pioneer style? A pioneer set of clothing as the reward. Or maybe rustic farm boy/girl look, because people today aren't really into old time-y clothes--a rustic farm girl look could be, if designed right, adapted to a punk/modern mode of dress. Just my addition of ideas to this spectacular suggestion. Thank you for sharing, @Flamanar! :D


    YOXISQRSVREZ
      Thank you, @TacoCat!


     Thank you, @Jessizoid!CARYMN8MKODW
  • edited February 21
    Purrfect said:

      Maybe this could be part of the items you have to craft during Survival Month (November). We did have a crafted cabin in 2018 I think, but this idea I think would be cool this year! Rustic theme, maybe? Pioneer style? A pioneer set of clothing as the reward. Or maybe rustic farm boy/girl look, because people today aren't really into old time-y clothes--a rustic farm girl look could be, if designed right, adapted to a punk/modern mode of dress. Just my addition of ideas to this spectacular suggestion. Thank you for sharing, @Flamanar! :D



    @Purrfect, there's a 'Survival month'?  I missed alot being away for so long.  Love your ideas.  I think we can craft a survival cabin, but (if memory is right...which would be a miracle) it was more akin to a 'shed' and I don't believe you could enter it??  Again,  briefly saw one of those somewhere in someone's room I think.  It is in the Blacksmith shop book:


    Screenshot_501

    There's other survival things at the Blacksmith book that I saw, one required 'flint' and the other a 'shovel head' (???).  No idea, lol.

    Attire.  We have some attire that kinda fits  'rustic/pioneer' scenarios.  ''Buckskin" clothes.  Backwoods-type attire.  Ah, those were the days, lol.  Bring back the horses so they don't need special clothes to ride!!!!!!  I think we have a corral-type room.  Cows would be cool (unless we already have those and I missed it lol).  Like shearing sheep, we could milk cows.  Let them graze.  We can already plant and harvest, so maybe introduce 'crops'??  Near me, there's peach orchards, apple orchards, tons of corn, etc. etc.  Yep we have a decent amount of 'crop-type plants' already in game that we can harvest...but maybe bring those back to a 'farmhouse' for other uses??  Really big barns.  The Amish use special hex signs on their barns.  Those can be beautiful and some are quite elaborate. I've started collecting smaller ones in real, as they are works of art to me.  The word 'homesteading' comes to mind as well.

    I live partly in the country, so I'm surrounded with animals (mostly pigs, horses and cows).  Maybe horse-drawn carriages (ride-able, old-style).   Conestoga wagons (one is beside Mercantile).  An outdoor pump for water.  Ok, I'll stop.  LOL  I also  live a couple hours away from Amish territory, so I see some of this stuff alot.  Would love a flintlock or muzzle-loader.  For show, of course ;)  You said "Pioneer', and I think that catches the 'spirit' of what I'm seeing in my head.  I 'borrowed' Pioneer for the title of this thread as well.

    We do have a Western Age, but alot of that is Audubon.  I'm thinking more 'deep woods' and 'open plains' if we're talking about 'ages'.

    Thanks again Purrfect :)

    Flame



    You'd be surprised what you can do with the short end of the stick
  • edited February 16
    Flamanar said: Purrfect said:  Maybe this could be part of the items you have to craft during Survival Month (November). We did have a crafted cabin in 2018 I think, but this idea I think would be cool this year! Rustic theme, maybe? Pioneer style? A pioneer set of clothing as the reward. Or maybe rustic farm boy/girl look, because people today aren't really into old time-y clothes--a rustic farm girl look could be, if designed right, adapted to a punk/modern mode of dress. Just my addition of ideas to this spectacular suggestion. Thank you for sharing, @Flamanar! :D

    @Purrfect, there's a 'Survival month'?  I missed alot being away for so long.  Love your ideas.  I think we can craft a survival cabin, but (if memory is right...which would be a miracle) it was more akin to a 'shed' and I don't believe you could enter it??  Again,  briefly saw one of those somewhere in someone's room I think.  It is in the Blacksmith shop book:

    Screenshot_501
    There's other survival things at the Blacksmith book that I saw, one required 'flint' and the other a 'shovel head' (???).  No idea, lol.
    Attire.  We have some attire that kinda fits  'rustic/pioneer' scenarios.  ''Buckskin" clothes.  Backwoods-type attire.  Ah, those were the days, lol.  Bring back the horses so they don't need special clothes to ride!!!!!!  I think we have a corral-type room.  Cows would be cool (unless we already have those and I missed it lol).  Like shearing sheep, we could milk cows.  Let them graze.  We can already plant and harvest, so maybe introduce 'crops'??  Near me, there's peach orchards, apple orchards, tons of corn, etc. etc.  Yep we have a decent amount of 'crop-type plants' already in game that we can harvest...but maybe bring those back to a 'farmhouse' for other uses??  Really big barns.  The Amish use special hex signs on their barns.  Those can be beautiful and some are quite elaborate. I've started collecting smaller ones in real, as they are works of art to me.  The word 'homesteading' comes to mind as well.

    I live partly in the country, so I'm surrounded with animals (mostly pigs, horses and cows).  We have a rodeo about 1/2 hour away.  Maybe horse-drawn carriages (ride-able, old-style).   Conestoga wagons.  An outdoor pump for water.  Ok, I'll stop.  LOL  I also  live a couple hours away from Amish territory, so I see some of this stuff alot.  Would love a flintlock or muzzle-loader.  For show, of course ;)  You said "Pioneer', and I think that catches the 'spirit' of what I'm seeing in my head.  I 'borrowed' Pioneer for the title of this thread as well.
    We do have a Western Age, but alot of that is Audubon.  I'm thinking more 'deep woods' and 'open plains' if we're talking about 'ages'.

    Thanks again Purrfect :)
    Flame
    @VFK_Enigma @vfk



       
    Yes, they did have a Survival Month. :) I think it was actually in 2017, lol. My bad memory! Yeah, it's too bad you can't enter it. Otherwise, it's a pretty cool looking cabin. 

      The 'flint' and 'shovel' were once available in the crates in Colonial Age. Not anymore though. 

      We do have a lot of pioneer clothing. Maybe rustic clothes? :) 

       That's so cool! You live in the country!! :) As far as I know, we don't have any cows. :)
     
       I like that you included 'Pioneer' in your topic! :) 

       Thank you for yours as well!




    YOXISQRSVREZ
      Thank you, @TacoCat!


     Thank you, @Jessizoid!CARYMN8MKODW
  • They did survival month in 2017 and 2018. Not sure about last year. I love to have a pet sheep or a pet cow and some plants that you could harvest and eat would be cool too. 
    cutelina
  • edited February 21
    @Purrfect Figures I miss the good stuff, right?  lol Tons of animals.  Goats, pigs, horses, etc.  Peach festivals. I've seen alot of cropland sold off in favor of massive, expensive housing developments....but the township/state have started preserving what's left.  Farmers just weren't making enough money, and their kids didn't want to continue the family business if it was a 'hit or miss' type of situation.  Bad weather can ruin an entire crop.  The risk is massive.  What I have seen is aLOT of farmers switching to vineyards instead.  Our soil is apparently great for growing grapes for adult beverages.  There's at least 5-10 of those beverage locations within 15 minutes of my house now.  They are beautiful in the summer!!  I missed too many photo opportunities.  Will have to take some this year.  Growing grapes has also allowed farms to remain in business.  I'd rather have grapes than expensive houses...most of which are vacant.  Some of the (being careful, lol) 'grape farmers' have expanded their business into entertainment during the winter and summer.  Some have built elaborate structures for weddings, fancy dining halls/hotels, etc.  Tons of entertainment in almost any direction you look from my front door.  It was controversial, allowing the switch to grapes in my area.  I live in a town with 'blue laws', and adult beverages weren't allowed to be sold for ages.  In the end, some years ago an item was added to voting ballots asking residents whether to allow growing of grapes or not.  Thankfully the residents voted 'yes'.  If not, my area would look MUCH different.  Not in a good way.

    Crops would be a cool thing if we could harvest and trade as well (something other than credits?).  Exchanges for livestock.  Livestock competition?  Furriers, trappers, etc.  Trappers and hunters might not go over well with some people, but it's real life in many areas, especially around me.  Hunting and whatnot.  I have a moose rack mounted on a wall that I got while I lived in Alaska.  People were horrified.  Much less so when I informed them it wasn't from sport hunting.  It was from a missionary who hunted for food (they lived seriously far from any town).  They'd throw the racks away.  I was visiting that area and staying with a couple overnight and saw it out back of their humble house, and asked what they would do with it.  They said they threw those out.  I asked for it and I brought it home and it reminds me of my time up there.  Not a trophy by any stretch.  A reminder and symbol for me.  I miss Alaska, but it's probably changed alot...since 1985 ;)  lol

    @cute_lina  Love those ideas, too!  Would dovetail into the Pioneer/rustic lifestyle.

    We could have a 'gold rush' age...but I'm guessing that would be open warfare for most, LOL!!  jk ;) 

    Thanks to you both!

    Flame

    You'd be surprised what you can do with the short end of the stick
  • I remember seeing an Amish group for the very first time back in 2012 inside Hobby Lobby! The daughter with them is carrying a face-less doll and I didn't really see much of them as I just saw them after I checked out and they were also checking out. I think they're modernized and might have travelled using a van to go to a city.

    It was fascinating, I was naïve and after that I drank more info about their lifestyle through different medias.

    :D




    ABOUT: Signed up: February 2017 Miss Clue only: March 2017 Regularly playing the kingdom: April 2017 hehehehehe...... Came for MISS CLUE, stayed for VFK <3


    Miss Clue Mysteries Border 2 
     
    VFK thiefpeasant from enigma 1
    tazzie grinzzzz by moi
    Snazzy beanieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    surfer and her secrets lol

     
    LOGO from BLUEWIZ

    Made by @bluewiz
    THANK YOU!  


  • edited February 21
    The Amish are fascinating people, Gift.  Especially since different 'sects' have different restrictions.  Some still travel only by horse/buggy.  Some are ok with vehicles as long as the bumpers are painted black.  Found out a couple years ago that -tobacco- is a crop grown by Amish not far from me??!!  That blew my mind.  I read up on it, and apparently it's caused a 'split' between some Amish who are ok with it and some who are not.  Apparently been growing it for -many- years.  Had an article, will have to look it up.  Honestly was shocked when I heard they grew tobacco.  Most Amish are -incredibly- humble.  Some are overly shy.  We have an Amish market a couple miles away (LOVE IT).  Wonderful, beautiful, polite people.  Even the kids.  They come here in an older long van all together.  Closed certain days of the week.  The women wear the traditional hats (bonnets?), the men the usual attire.  The ones that come here are most assuredly the more....ugh...'modernized' Amish.  For the 'traditional' Amish, you have to drive a couple hours from me to see them.

    The sad thing about the Amish?  Well, it's obvious that they are 'unique' and live a life SO different than ours.  Talk about UNPLUGGED!  But their area attracts a -significant- amount of visitors...unfortunately people who I refer to as 'gawkers' :/  They go picture crazy on families trying to go about their business and such.  I don't care for that.  They deserve much more respect than they are given.  Especially privacy.  It feels many times like they're zoo animals on display.  Hate that.

    Again, there are different 'sects', and their restrictions can vary WIDELY.  I am into collecting smaller 'hex signs' they use on their barns.  I just love the design, and the thought that went into making it.  Also obviously what it means.  I have a sister who lives right in Amish territory there, and an aunt and uncle who also live in there as well.  My sister and her kids visit one of the more 'open' Amish families who are apparently incredibly nice people.  It's really hard not to respect them.  They're good people.  Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time until they 'fade away', and are overtaken by 'progress'.

    And then there's Mennonites.  And Quakers.

    Ok I'll stop, lol ;)  Love the market here.  Everything's fresh, the cooked food is excellent and to die for.  They do sell non-Amish food, coffee and candy as well, so they seem to be from a sect that is 'ok' with going outside the 'traditional circle' of Amish beliefs.  Fascinating people.  A treat just to meet them and talk to them.

    Flame



    You'd be surprised what you can do with the short end of the stick
  • edited February 20
    @Flamanar I do not think this room has been mentioned in the thread yet but there is a wilderness cabin room out in the game. Has a second floor like you were suggesting. It came out around VFK's 10'th Anniversary. Hence the "10" on the wooden floor. It was a Host Hunt prize I think? Not 100% sure. You would have to trade for it I know that much. Anyway, it is more modern version of a cabin though than the pioneer version you were referring to I think. Figured I would mention it still though since it seems like it was not mentioned in your thread yet. 

    Untitled

    waterfallglow signature

    my signature was drawn by waterfallglow (me)! I did this completely myself using Paint program. :) ^_^

  • waterfallglow said:

    @Flamanar I do not think this room has been mentioned in the thread yet but there is a wilderness cabin room out in the game. Has a second floor like you were suggesting. It came out around VFK's 10'th Anniversary. Hence the "10" on the wooden floor. It was a Host Hunt prize I think? Not 100% sure. You would have to trade for it I know that much. Anyway, it is more modern version of a cabin though than the pioneer version you were referring to I think. Figured I would mention it still though since it seems like it was not mentioned in your thread yet. 





    @waterfallglow  THAT...is a beautiful room!!!!!  No I haven't seen that yet.  Yes, it is beyond what I was thinking of, but heading in the right direction!  TWO FLOORS for more rooms please, staff!!  Thanks for putting up that pic, waterfallglow.  Really an amazing looking room!

    Flame

    You'd be surprised what you can do with the short end of the stick
  • Flamanar said:

    waterfallglow said:

    @waterfallglow  THAT...is a beautiful room!!!!!  No I haven't seen that yet.  Yes, it is beyond what I was thinking of, but heading in the right direction!  TWO FLOORS for more rooms please, staff!!  Thanks for putting up that pic, waterfallglow.  Really an amazing looking room!

    Flame

    You are very welcome! I like the room a lot too. :)

    waterfallglow signature

    my signature was drawn by waterfallglow (me)! I did this completely myself using Paint program. :) ^_^

  • waterfallglow said:

    Flamanar said:

    waterfallglow said:

    @waterfallglow  THAT...is a beautiful room!!!!!  No I haven't seen that yet.  Yes, it is beyond what I was thinking of, but heading in the right direction!  TWO FLOORS for more rooms please, staff!!  Thanks for putting up that pic, waterfallglow.  Really an amazing looking room!

    Flame

    You are very welcome! I like the room a lot too. :)
    Thre room was a limited sale in the rooms store.
    cutelina
  • cute_lina said:



    Thre room was a limited sale in the rooms store.

    Ohh ok. Thank you for the info. I could not remember for sure exactly how it came out in game. :)

    waterfallglow signature

    my signature was drawn by waterfallglow (me)! I did this completely myself using Paint program. :) ^_^

  • waterfallglow said:



    cute_lina said:



    Thre room was a limited sale in the rooms store.

    Ohh ok. Thank you for the info. I could not remember for sure exactly how it came out in game. :)
    your welcome. it was in the store for 3 days and then retired.
    cutelina
  • I think I have extra of the room. I have to check!
    Flamanar said:

    The Amish are fascinating people, Gift.  Especially since different 'sects' have different restrictions.  Some still travel only by horse/buggy.  Some are ok with vehicles as long as the bumpers are painted black.  Found out a couple years ago that -tobacco- is a crop grown by Amish not far from me??!!  That blew my mind.  I read up on it, and apparently it's caused a 'split' between some Amish who are ok with it and some who are not.  Apparently been growing it for -many- years.  Had an article, will have to look it up.  Honestly was shocked when I heard they grew tobacco.  Most Amish are -incredibly- humble.  Some are overly shy.  We have an Amish market a couple miles away (LOVE IT).  Wonderful, beautiful, polite people.  Even the kids.  They come here in an older long van all together.  Closed certain days of the week.  The women wear the traditional hats (bonnets?), the men the usual attire.  The ones that come here are most assuredly the more....ugh...'modernized' Amish.  For the 'traditional' Amish, you have to drive a couple hours from me to see them.

    The sad thing about the Amish?  Well, it's obvious that they are 'unique' and live a life SO different than ours.  Talk about UNPLUGGED!  But their area attracts a -significant- amount of visitors...unfortunately people who I refer to as 'gawkers' :/  They go picture crazy on families trying to go about their business and such.  I don't care for that.  They deserve much more respect than they are given.  Especially privacy.  It feels many times like they're zoo animals on display.  Hate that.

    Again, there are different 'sects', and their restrictions can vary WIDELY.  I am into collecting smaller 'hex signs' they use on their barns.  I just love the design, and the thought that went into making it.  Also obviously what it means.  I have a sister who lives right in Amish territory there, and an aunt and uncle who also live in there as well.  My sister and her kids visit one of the more 'open' Amish families who are apparently incredibly nice people.  It's really hard not to respect them.  They're good people.  Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time until they 'fade away', and are overtaken by 'progress'.

    And then there's Mennonites.  And Quakers.

    Ok I'll stop, lol ;)  Love the market here.  Everything's fresh, the cooked food is excellent and to die for.  They do sell non-Amish food, coffee and candy as well, so they seem to be from a sect that is 'ok' with going outside the 'traditional circle' of Amish beliefs.  Fascinating people.  A treat just to meet them and talk to them.

    Flame





    My friend in Pennsylvania told me about the Mennonites!


    Yeah it's fun to learn about them and picking up tidbits here and there. Such as they refer to themselves as Germans and call everyone English. That their quilts I've heard are AMMMAAZZING (I haven't seen one yet lol) and that they hand stitch them - I imagine that takes so long!


    Yeah I would like to visit their shops and look at their crafts one day! I love admiring handiworks with much dedication and discipline put into them!




    ABOUT: Signed up: February 2017 Miss Clue only: March 2017 Regularly playing the kingdom: April 2017 hehehehehe...... Came for MISS CLUE, stayed for VFK <3


    Miss Clue Mysteries Border 2 
     
    VFK thiefpeasant from enigma 1
    tazzie grinzzzz by moi
    Snazzy beanieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    surfer and her secrets lol

     
    LOGO from BLUEWIZ

    Made by @bluewiz
    THANK YOU!  


  • Flamanar said:@Purrfect Figures I miss the good stuff, right?  lol Tons of animals.  Goats, pigs, horses, etc.  Peach festivals. I've seen alot of cropland sold off in favor of massive, expensive housing developments....but the township/state have started preserving what's left.  Farmers just weren't making enough money, and their kids didn't want to continue the family business if it was a 'hit or miss' type of situation.  Bad weather can ruin an entire crop.  The risk is massive.  What I have seen is aLOT of farmers switching to vineyards instead.  Our soil is apparently great for growing grapes for adult beverages.  There's at least 5-10 of those beverage locations within 15 minutes of my house now.  They are beautiful in the summer!!  I missed too many photo opportunities.  Will have to take some this year.  Growing grapes has also allowed farms to remain in business.  I'd rather have grapes than expensive houses...most of which are vacant.  Some of the (being careful, lol) 'grape farmers' have expanded their business into entertainment during the winter and summer.  Some have built elaborate structures for weddings, fancy dining halls/hotels, etc.  Tons of entertainment in almost any direction you look from my front door.  It was controversial, allowing the switch to grapes in my area.  I live in a town with 'blue laws', and adult beverages weren't allowed to be sold for ages.  In the end, some years ago an item was added to voting ballots asking residents whether to allow growing of grapes or not.  Thankfully the residents voted 'yes'.  If not, my area would look MUCH different.  Not in a good way.

    Crops would be a cool thing if we could harvest and trade as well (something other than credits?).  Exchanges for livestock.  Livestock competition?  Furriers, trappers, etc.  Trappers and hunters might not go over well with some people, but it's real life in many areas, especially around me.  Hunting and whatnot.  I have a moose rack mounted on a wall that I got while I lived in Alaska.  People were horrified.  Much less so when I informed them it wasn't from sport hunting.  It was from a missionary who hunted for food (they lived seriously far from any town).  They'd throw the racks away.  I was visiting that area and staying with a couple overnight and saw it out back of their humble house, and asked what they would do with it.  They said they threw those out.  I asked for it and I brought it home and it reminds me of my time up there.  Not a trophy by any stretch.  A reminder and symbol for me.  I miss Alaska, but it's probably changed alot...since 1985 ;)  lol
    @cute_lina  Love those ideas, too!  Would dovetail into the Pioneer/rustic lifestyle.

    We could have a 'gold rush' age...but I'm guessing that would be open warfare for most, LOL!!  jk ;) 

    Thanks to you both!
    Flame


       
    Dear Sir. Your observation concerning development of farmland being converged to real estate is most troubling. I am glad however, of the care and concern your fellow humans have taken to preserve natural landscape. An alternative crop to grow but yield prophets to farmers is a happy circumstance on all accounts. I am happy for you all most exceedingly! 

      Ah! Alaska, you say. What a beautiful place to live, sir! A system of 'trapping' as you put it, would be interesting! :)  VFK could extend to some new grounds of game. 

      Thank you for your awesome ideas, Flame!


       


    YOXISQRSVREZ
      Thank you, @TacoCat!


     Thank you, @Jessizoid!CARYMN8MKODW
  • GIFT said:

    I think I have extra of the room. I have to check!

    Flamanar said:

    The Amish are fascinating people, Gift.  Especially since different 'sects' have different restrictions.  Some still travel only by horse/buggy.  Some are ok with vehicles as long as the bumpers are painted black.  Found out a couple years ago that -tobacco- is a crop grown by Amish not far from me??!!  That blew my mind.  I read up on it, and apparently it's caused a 'split' between some Amish who are ok with it and some who are not.  Apparently been growing it for -many- years.  Had an article, will have to look it up.  Honestly was shocked when I heard they grew tobacco.  Most Amish are -incredibly- humble.  Some are overly shy.  We have an Amish market a couple miles away (LOVE IT).  Wonderful, beautiful, polite people.  Even the kids.  They come here in an older long van all together.  Closed certain days of the week.  The women wear the traditional hats (bonnets?), the men the usual attire.  The ones that come here are most assuredly the more....ugh...'modernized' Amish.  For the 'traditional' Amish, you have to drive a couple hours from me to see them.

    The sad thing about the Amish?  Well, it's obvious that they are 'unique' and live a life SO different than ours.  Talk about UNPLUGGED!  But their area attracts a -significant- amount of visitors...unfortunately people who I refer to as 'gawkers' :/  They go picture crazy on families trying to go about their business and such.  I don't care for that.  They deserve much more respect than they are given.  Especially privacy.  It feels many times like they're zoo animals on display.  Hate that.

    Again, there are different 'sects', and their restrictions can vary WIDELY.  I am into collecting smaller 'hex signs' they use on their barns.  I just love the design, and the thought that went into making it.  Also obviously what it means.  I have a sister who lives right in Amish territory there, and an aunt and uncle who also live in there as well.  My sister and her kids visit one of the more 'open' Amish families who are apparently incredibly nice people.  It's really hard not to respect them.  They're good people.  Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time until they 'fade away', and are overtaken by 'progress'.

    And then there's Mennonites.  And Quakers.

    Ok I'll stop, lol ;)  Love the market here.  Everything's fresh, the cooked food is excellent and to die for.  They do sell non-Amish food, coffee and candy as well, so they seem to be from a sect that is 'ok' with going outside the 'traditional circle' of Amish beliefs.  Fascinating people.  A treat just to meet them and talk to them.

    Flame





    My friend in Pennsylvania told me about the Mennonites!


    Yeah it's fun to learn about them and picking up tidbits here and there. Such as they refer to themselves as Germans and call everyone English. That their quilts I've heard are AMMMAAZZING (I haven't seen one yet lol) and that they hand stitch them - I imagine that takes so long!


    Yeah I would like to visit their shops and look at their crafts one day! I love admiring handiworks with much dedication and discipline put into them!





    Yes, I'm privileged to live so near these different groups of people, separated by faith.  It's fun to hear them talk, too, lol. They really work the land, and take pride in their work.  Many of them are doing carpentry now, and selling Amish 'sheds', gazebos and furniture.  Very high quality workmanship.  The price matches the workmanship, obviously, lol.  The quilts are to die for.  Yes, hand stitch, and many long hours and creativity.  They are...(gasp)...expensive, but typically will outlast a human.  They are meant to be handed down to the next generations, and I believe some tell a story.  In my town, there are (non-Amish) quilting teaching businesses that women can sign up for, helping them to make their own quilts.  It's a major purchase for an Amish quilt...and worth every penny.  If you appreciate handmade quality and amazing creativity in the handiwork...you'd love a visit to Amish country.  Pennsylvania Dutch country.  Lancaster, PA is a really good stop if you ever make it there ;)  We do have some good Amish products come through our Amish market near my home, it's just expensive.  Some beautiful artistry in most things they craft.  Really respectable people, very pure of heart.  It's something you can almost feel when you're around them.  Like they're not 'polluted' by 'progress'.  Sounds odd.  It's no joke though.  Good people.

    @Purrfect it really is odd that grapes grow incredibly well in our (mostly sandy) soil.  But the products being produced with the grapes (cough) are really rating very highly compared to other regions of the country.  Someone stumbled on a good thing, and it saved our land.  Some people are upset with the 'product', but it's hard to argue that it's been a lifesaver for the land we've lived on for years...and the beauty that comes with it. ;)

    Trapping is pretty amazing.  Not just in Alaska.  They trap for muskrat in my state as well.  I know animal people are freaking out, but everyone please relax.  It's VERY small scale stuff, lol.  Thx purrfect!

    Flame



    You'd be surprised what you can do with the short end of the stick
  • edited February 25
    Flamanar said: GIFT said:I think I have extra of the room. I have to check! Flamanar said:The Amish are fascinating people, Gift.  Especially since different 'sects' have different restrictions.  Some still travel only by horse/buggy.  Some are ok with vehicles as long as the bumpers are painted black.  Found out a couple years ago that -tobacco- is a crop grown by Amish not far from me??!!  That blew my mind.  I read up on it, and apparently it's caused a 'split' between some Amish who are ok with it and some who are not.  Apparently been growing it for -many- years.  Had an article, will have to look it up.  Honestly was shocked when I heard they grew tobacco.  Most Amish are -incredibly- humble.  Some are overly shy.  We have an Amish market a couple miles away (LOVE IT).  Wonderful, beautiful, polite people.  Even the kids.  They come here in an older long van all together.  Closed certain days of the week.  The women wear the traditional hats (bonnets?), the men the usual attire.  The ones that come here are most assuredly the more....ugh...'modernized' Amish.  For the 'traditional' Amish, you have to drive a couple hours from me to see them.

    The sad thing about the Amish?  Well, it's obvious that they are 'unique' and live a life SO different than ours.  Talk about UNPLUGGED!  But their area attracts a -significant- amount of visitors...unfortunately people who I refer to as 'gawkers' :/  They go picture crazy on families trying to go about their business and such.  I don't care for that.  They deserve much more respect than they are given.  Especially privacy.  It feels many times like they're zoo animals on display.  Hate that.

    Again, there are different 'sects', and their restrictions can vary WIDELY.  I am into collecting smaller 'hex signs' they use on their barns.  I just love the design, and the thought that went into making it.  Also obviously what it means.  I have a sister who lives right in Amish territory there, and an aunt and uncle who also live in there as well.  My sister and her kids visit one of the more 'open' Amish families who are apparently incredibly nice people.  It's really hard not to respect them.  They're good people.  Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time until they 'fade away', and are overtaken by 'progress'.
    And then there's Mennonites.  And Quakers.

    Ok I'll stop, lol ;)  Love the market here.  Everything's fresh, the cooked food is excellent and to die for.  They do sell non-Amish food, coffee and candy as well, so they seem to be from a sect that is 'ok' with going outside the 'traditional circle' of Amish beliefs.  Fascinating people.  A treat just to meet them and talk to them.
    Flame





    My friend in Pennsylvania told me about the Mennonites!
    Yeah it's fun to learn about them and picking up tidbits here and there. Such as they refer to themselves as Germans and call everyone English. That their quilts I've heard are AMMMAAZZING (I haven't seen one yet lol) and that they hand stitch them - I imagine that takes so long!
    Yeah I would like to visit their shops and look at their crafts one day! I love admiring handiworks with much dedication and discipline put into them!



    Yes, I'm privileged to live so near these different groups of people, separated by faith.  It's fun to hear them talk, too, lol. They really work the land, and take pride in their work.  Many of them are doing carpentry now, and selling Amish 'sheds', gazebos and furniture.  Very high quality workmanship.  The price matches the workmanship, obviously, lol.  The quilts are to die for.  Yes, hand stitch, and many long hours and creativity.  They are...(gasp)...expensive, but typically will outlast a human.  They are meant to be handed down to the next generations, and I believe some tell a story.  In my town, there are (non-Amish) quilting teaching businesses that women can sign up for, helping them to make their own quilts.  It's a major purchase for an Amish quilt...and worth every penny.  If you appreciate handmade quality and amazing creativity in the handiwork...you'd love a visit to Amish country.  Pennsylvania Dutch country.  Lancaster, PA is a really good stop if you ever make it there ;)  We do have some good Amish products come through our Amish market near my home, it's just expensive.  Some beautiful artistry in most things they craft.  Really respectable people, very pure of heart.  It's something you can almost feel when you're around them.  Like they're not 'polluted' by 'progress'.  Sounds odd.  It's no joke though.  Good people.
    @Purrfect it really is odd that grapes grow incredibly well in our (mostly sandy) soil.  But the products being produced with the grapes (cough) are really rating very highly compared to other regions of the country.  Someone stumbled on a good thing, and it saved our land.  Some people are upset with the 'product', but it's hard to argue that it's been a lifesaver for the land we've lived on for years...and the beauty that comes with it. ;)
    Trapping is pretty amazing.  Not just in Alaska.  They trap for muskrat in my state as well.  I know animal people are freaking out, but everyone please relax.  It's VERY small scale stuff, lol.  Thx purrfect!
    Flame




     
    That is odd, but a great benefit for the land, for sure! 

      Trapping is cool and hunting! :) You're welcome, @Flamanar! :)


    YOXISQRSVREZ
      Thank you, @TacoCat!


     Thank you, @Jessizoid!CARYMN8MKODW
Sign In or Register to comment.