TECH HELP! Trials of Salem Won't Load/Play Properly

edited October 2019 in Trials Of Salem

Hello fellow detectives,

As the title says I'm having issues playing Trials of Salem which I bought from the Miss Clue website. I was able to install the game and launch it, however after the Miss Clue logo animation finishes the screen remains black. I can move the magnifying glass cursor and the music keeps playing but I can’t do anything else and have to shut down the game.

I don't think my laptop can be the problem because it has more than the minimum requirements and is running Windows 10. I also recently played all of Peril in Pemberley on my laptop with no problems. I’ve already tried restarting my laptop and uninstalling and reinstalling the game, but the game still won’t load and I don't know what else to try.

I have contacted Miss Clue support but the issue hasn't been resolved yet so I figured I'd post here and see if anyone else has had similar issues or can think of any ideas to fix it. 

Thanks for reading and any ideas or advice would be highly appreciated :)

Edit: This is my first time posting and some parts seem to be displaying as spoiler tags but I have no idea why because I wrote the text into the box normally so sorry about that.

"O my love's, like a red, red nose
That's softly blown in tune; 
O my love's like a headache
That's sweetly felt in June.
No care hast thou for a' my agnst
My heartless bonie lass
But I love thee still, my dear,
Till diner time doth pass."

~Clement

Comments

• Hi @Guest924185,

We will look into why that might have happened and get back to your with possible solutions!

Thank you for letting us know!

-Mintie
  • VFK_Mintie said:

Hi @Guest924185,

We will look into why that might have happened and get back to your with possible solutions!

Thank you for letting us know!

-Mintie
    Thanks so much for the speedy reply, look forward to it :)
    My heartless bonie lass

~Clement
  • edited October 2019
    Hi Clara,

Here are a few quick suggestions below, which should be quick to try!

- When the game reaches the black-screen, if you press the F11 key, does the game screen become smaller, and is anything else besides black shown?

- If there is no difference after the above test, removing the temporary data directory could be tried.  To do this, follow the below steps!

1. Ensure Trials Of Salem is closed.
    2. Open the "Windows Run Box", by pressing the "Windows" and "R" keys on your keyboard, at the same time.  This should open a small window with a place to enter text.
    3. In the text field, enter this text:

%APPDATA%/com.missclue.trialsofsalem

(For reference, the window should now look like this: )

Capture-1

4. Press Enter, and a file-window should open, showing a single folder, named "Local Store".

(The folder that is opened will look like this: )

Capture-3

5. Rename this folder, called "Local Store", to any other name, such as "Local Store Old".
    6. Start Trials Of Salem again, and see if there is any change!

Be sure to let us know if these work for you!

- Mintie
  • VFK_Mintie said:

Be sure to let us know if these work for you!

- Mintie

Hi VFK_Mintie,

Thank you so much for your advice but I’m still having the
    same issue.

When I press F11, the game screen does become smaller
    however it still only shows the black screen with cursor.

I successfully followed the steps you gave to remove the
    temporary data, and nothing changes when I load the game (Still black screen
    with cursor after the logo animations). Although when I loaded the game, after
    removing the temporary data, it said that there were updates available to
    download so I clicked to download them and almost instantly it said they had
    been applied and launched the game.

I don’t know if it matters but when I opened the folder that
    contained the ‘Local Store’ folder, it also contained another folder called ‘#airversion’
    which had a file called ‘19.0.0.213’ inside it. I tried to open it with notepad,
    but it was blank, and I don’t know what file type the original was or how to
    change it back. If this is a problem, then I could uninstall the game and then
    reinstall it to get the original files back or just delete the whole folder if
    that would be best.

Thanks again and is there anything else I can try?

My heartless bonie lass

~Clement