You Could Be Fined $15k For Sharing Memes

edited July 2019 in General
 Hello VFK Players!

I think being fined for sharing a meme would ruin the internet completely beyond comprehension! Meme-sharing is CULTURE; it's half the fun of using the internet. When words can't fully express something, a picture does; because as they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words". This is outrageous and I know a LOT of you (if not all) who will be thoroughly annoyed by this nuisance! Please read this article condemning this atrocity down below: 

YOXISQRSVREZ
  Thank you, @TacoCat!

Thank you, @Jessizoid!CARYMN8MKODW

Comments

• It says the article cannot be found :o
  • edited July 2019
    Since this link wasnt working, I decided to look it up myself. There is a bill working its way through Congress that would allow people to gain easier access to copyrights under a new board "Copyright Claims Board (CCB)”.

In this case, the creator of a meme could file for a copyright however, its an expensive process (even under this new board) and I dont really see why anyone would. They’d get no compensation for any use prior to the copyright being made (if I remember correctly) and memes dont automatically become popular, it takes time & social media pickup. Thats a lot of money & planning for something that might not even become popular.

Edit: And to add, people who create memes usually do it in hopes of becoming popular / gaining likes/follows (or just for fun). By creating a copyright for it, it does the complete opposite considering it wouldn't be sharable.

I think this law is really for those who start up small businesses from their own ideas and want the copyright backing for their products without spending the excessive amount of time & money on the original process of getting copyrights approved. The titling for these online publishing articles about this new board is really just clickbait IMO.

• I really don't think that site is a legitimate place to get news from, but regardless, it's as Chalk said. You can only be fined if it is copyrighted, and even then I'm not sure 'sharing' would be considered a fine-able offense. Rather, if you REPOST it, that could be an issue. Sharing is linking back to the original, reposting has no link and would be taken as your own.
  • @Perpetual_Fighter @I.Am.Chalk @Kitten I’m sorry about the link!!:o I think it got censored sadly..!

Also, that is a very logical conclusion you guys have come too! :) Thank you, it WAS very informative !

YOXISQRSVREZ
      Thank you, @TacoCat!

Thank you, @Jessizoid!CARYMN8MKODW