Let's Talk- Unspoken rules

In society, there are a TON of unspoken rules, especially on the road, in high school, or university. In case you aren't clear as to what I meant by "unspoken rule", they're guidelines everyone should follow without having to be told or a given rule that you can pretty much say, "Oh hey, so that's how this goes".

So, like usual these discussions are full of questions. I was wondering this time, though if you knew any unspoken rules even I might not be aware of. Although they were unspoken, they can be said just once :)

Gum: You've pulled out a package of gum in class without thinking. Suddenly everyone wants a piece. So, you decided to be nice and hand out as many pieces as you can before realizing wait there's only one left yet people are still asking. The unspoken rule states that whoever bought the package is entitled to the last piece.

Let's see what you guys have to say.
Survey
  1. How do you like the Let's Talks
    1. I love it
      50.00%
    2. They're interesting
      30.00%
    3. Meh
      10.00%
    4. I don't care for them
      10.00%
"I'm not great with advice, may I offer a sarcastic comment instead?"

Comments

• If we are in a class where the teacher or professor does not assign seats, the seat you choose to sit in on the first day is now your official un-assigned seat. Do not sit in someone else's un-assigned seat without asking for their permission.
    • If you invite me out to some place - for example, a movie or out to eat - I am going to expect that you will be the one paying. It's the same way if the roles are reversed: if I invite you out, I will be the one paying for the event. Whoever does the inviting-out does the paying.
    • If you are the one to use the last of the toilet paper, you are the one who is going to replace the empty roll with a  new roll.
    • Always say 'thank you' to someone who holds the door open for you. Don't be rude.
    • If you live in a house where everyone buys their own food, only eat the food that you bought. Don't eat your housemates' food without asking them first.
    • Always always always cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze and cough.
    • If you are driving down a road that has no streetlights at night, you usually use your high-beams. If you see another vehicle traveling on the road in the opposite direction, it is common curtsy for each driver to temporarily turn off their high-beams until the other car passes so that you do not blind each other. Of course, some people feel like they are better than everyone else, which results in this rule being ignored.
    • Just because the traffic light turned green does not mean you should start driving if traffic isn't moving on the other side of the intersections. This can cause grid-lock, which can fuel road rage and can even get you a ticket in some U.S. cities.
    • If you are having a bad day, it does not mean that you have to ruin someone else's day. 
    • Just because you don't enjoy something does not mean that you should ruin it for others.
    Honestly, this list just goes on and on....
    ★☆★☆★
    butterflyaway
    If you'd like a signature similar to mine, please message me! I take requests!
    whistle
    ★☆★☆★

• Jessizoid said:If we are in a class where the teacher or professor does not assign seats, the seat you choose to sit in on the first day is now your official un-assigned seat. Do not sit in someone else's un-assigned seat without asking for their permission.If you invite me out to some place - for example, a movie or out to eat - I am going to expect that you will be the one paying. It's the same way if the roles are reversed: if I invite you out, I will be the one paying for the event. Whoever does the inviting-out does the paying.If you are the one to use the last of the toilet paper, you are the one who is going to replace the empty roll with a  new roll.Always say 'thank you' to someone who holds the door open for you. Don't be rude.If you live in a house where everyone buys their own food, only eat the food that you bought. Don't eat your housemates' food without asking them first.Always always always cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze and cough.If you are driving down a road that has no streetlights at night, you usually use your high-beams. If you see another vehicle traveling on the road in the opposite direction, it is common curtsy for each driver to temporarily turn off their high-beams until the other car passes so that you do not blind each other. Of course, some people feel like they are better than everyone else, which results in this rule being ignored.Just because the traffic light turned green does not mean you should start driving if traffic isn't moving on the other side of the intersections. This can cause grid-lock, which can fuel road rage and can even get you a ticket in some U.S. cities.If you are having a bad day, it does not mean that you have to ruin someone else's day. Just because you don't enjoy something does not mean that you should ruin it for others.Honestly, this list just goes on and on....

The class seating is the absolute most spoken rule ever IMO a
    nd id just get so annoyed if someone gets in my spot

Apparently i learned there's a unspoken rule of flashing your lights to warn others there's a cop somewhere and should slow down ?

art-starbucks 
  • I personally don’t think anyone is entititled to a specific seat. It doesn’t matter to me whether someone sat there the first day or not. Personally, I always sit in the front to see the board better because I have bad eyesight and having glasses doesn’t help much. So I will sit in the front always, and if someone is already sitting there and I’ve seen them there - if I get to class first, I’m going to take their seat if it’s in the front where I can see best. First come, first serve. To me, that one is a “unspoken rule.” First come, first serve.
  • edited January 2018
    @prettyredstone I've never heard someone mention the un-assigned seat thing in an actual conversation, so I've always considered it to be unspoken. I also get super annoyed when someone sits in my spot after sitting there for half a semester.

@Perpetual_Fighter I understand where you're coming from, because... like... it's just a seat LOL. First come, first serve - I totally get it. But, when everyone else in the class sits in the same seats for the first 3 weeks of class, and then one person decides to just move to another seat - the seat that I've been sitting in - I tend to get extremely bitter, especially if I've been sitting in the front and now I have to sit in the back where I can't see anything. But that's just me... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    ★☆★☆★
    butterflyaway
    If you'd like a signature similar to mine, please message me! I take requests!
    whistle
    ★☆★☆★

• @Jessizoid The "offical unassigned seat" rule is a constant struggle in high school because where I live, people generally don't care whether you sat there every day or not. It's always taken. Even on the bus, which really only makes me mad if junior high school/younger kids are in it (as the high schoolers usually don't have much room because they're picked up last)
  • Jessizoid said:

@prettyredstone I've never heard someone mention the un-assigned seat thing in an actual conversation, so I've always considered it to be unspoken. I also get super annoyed when someone sits in my spot after sitting there for half a semester.

@Perpetual_Fighter I understand where you're coming from, because... like... it's just a seat LOL. First come, first serve - I totally get it. But, when everyone else in the class sits in the same seats for the first 3 weeks of class, and then one person decides to just move to another seat - the seat that I've been sitting in - I tend to get extremely bitter, especially if I've been sitting in the front and now I have to sit in the back where I can't see anything. But that's just me... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    True, I wouldn't take someone's spot if they've sat there longer than a week. Cause then I feel bad. But this one girl tried to make me move the other day in college when I sat next to her. like... girl did you really think I wanted to sit here to become friends? I'm trying to see the board. There are two seats here. Move if you don't want to be near me, I don't need your approval. She was so rude - I got so heated when she gave me a look when I sat next to her. LOL. I think she thought it was because I was trying to be friends. Nah. I want to learn
  • @Perpetual_Fighter Oh, yeah I see what you mean by that. But no, just I don't like having to constantly struggle to find a new seat rather than something I had been comfortable with the entire month.