Inner Debate

I hate being told I can't do something or that I will never be something. Especially if I know I can or have no control over it.

I'm not a feminist but I don't let people push me around either. My brother is sexist. I'm not just being dramatic either. On multiple occasions he tells me that I will never be as storm go or as athletic as he is.

We have a chore system that consists of trash, dishes, cleaning, and yard work. He straight up told my mom that he and my other brother shouldn't have to clean. He said I should do all the cleaning because I'm a girl and I should leave the yard work to the boys.

He told me that he'll always be stronger and I should be nice to him because he's the only one that can defend me because I can't do I myself.

Not to mention he's letting people spread rumours about me too. Because of those rumours, he doesn't want to be seen with me in public. He even told me that I wasn't family even though we are.

What happened to him? In Georgia when we were young we were best friends. We got along so well and always hung out. Even when we came her to Illinois. All the way until sixth grade when he joined football. I love that it's his dream to play and all but it changed him. They changed him. His "friends" the populars. He's not the Seth I grew up with and I miss him. He told me to tell him if anyone bullies me but how do I tell him if he's the one bullying me?

He isn't aware and when I try to tell him to stop it he says he isn't doing anything wrong. I hate it so much because like he said, I'm basically powerless if my words don't phase anyone. They normally do but with him they don't work and he's right, it's my only defence.
"I'm not great with advice, may I offer a sarcastic comment instead?"

Comments

• I'm so sorry, siblings can be so confusing.  You can always tell your dad, or your mom?  They might be able to talk to your brother and tell him to shape up.

you could even try to take matters into your own hands, and just sit down with him and have a heart to heart talk.  I know that when you talk to someone without any interruptions, and tell them everything that's bothering you, it will eventually sink in and they'll think differently about what they're doing.

I hope things look up, (hugs) I'm so glad you're writing and sharing your feelings with us, it can be really hard if you let your problems bottle up inside
    don't ever think twice about sharing what's happening :) we'll always be here for you, no matter what time of day or week

doodle

• @Doodlepufflove I wish it was that easy. He's never home and my parents were in the room! If Seth is home, he's with friends or his door is locked and won't let me in. So, I don't know. It's his problem now.
  • I had the same thing happen with my brother.  We were so close when we were younger and then as he got older he really changed.  It was super hard and very frustrating, but something I learned is (at least for my brother) it was a phase he went through, a very long several year phase, but a phase non-the-less and he began to grow out of it!

Although something that made it even harder, which I wish I hadn't done, was I kind of got really angry at him and yelled at him a lot telling him all the things that were wrong with him.  He got tired of it because he didn't want to change and so he kind of shut me out.

That really hurt me, and when he started to get over what he was going through and I could talk to him again.  He was very prejudiced against me and I had to work very hard to become his friend again.  We are close again but I can tell there is still that time when we both really hurt each other that still lingers on and I wish it wasn't there, because things would have been so much better if it wasn't.

My advise would be if I could do it over is:  
    • Be patient he will most likely grow out of it.  
    • Be kind and stay his friend he will come around a lot sooner if you do.   (I know it will be hard)
    • Try to agree with him if you possibly can, he will eventually open up and tell you things that bother him and if he takes you into his confidence it helps him more than it helps you.
    • Try to be there and wait for the opportunity for him to change.
    • And last, if he does talk to you (I know this is the hardest part of all) let him rant, don't rant at him just be there and listen.

That is my story I wish you the best frogie and good luck!
    ColourzRNice2
  • it sounds like it's pretty hard right now, I'm sorry froggie.

I don't know if you want advise or to try and figure it out on your own since it's unique to everyone.   But I definitely agree with colourz, if you agree with your brother on anything you should tell him that he's right and how awesome he is.  Boys LOVE to be told they are smart and awesome especially by sisters!

Thanks for all the updates @frogiepower!

DazzledreamSignaturemistymew
    thank you dazzlerdream for the signature
  • Thank you @ColourzRnice I hope so. It's all this popularity getting to him I suppose. Maybe when he goes to college and so do I, and we don't see each other for a year, he'll be better
  • @MistyMew so feed his ego? Okay
  • Hi @frogiepower,  I guess to a certain extent it's feeding his ego.  The main thing is it's very seldom someone tells you something nice, and if it is a friend how likely are you to believe them?  I mean they might mean it but then again you can't be sure they mean it.  But with family, you have nothing to gain by saying nice things so it makes more of a difference.  

What you are really doing is, if you tell him nice things or agree with him sometimes he will start to think "Froggie is a pretty awesome sister, she so nice to me.  Maybe I haven't been as nice as I could be to her"

It's how my brother works but I don't know for everyone.  Try some things and if it looks like it's working do it, and if it doesn't try something else!

(Hugs)
    Mew 

DazzledreamSignaturemistymew
    thank you dazzlerdream for the signature
  • You guys are nuts!  I don't know if you don't go to school or something, but school ruins people!!  And it ruined my brother!  He's broken.  There is no fixing him!  I mean I could try what you're saying but what's the point?  It wouldn't change him, nothing can get through to him.  And don't suggest I ask my parents to homeschool us, it's no good!  I've tried they don't want us at home.  I've asked them so many times they finally just said it!

I also wish things were like when I was little, this girl boy stuff is finally making me sick.  Like, I know we aren't the same yeah, boys are stronger, but we are equal in our own ways.  why do I have to be as strong as a boy?  I like who I am why can't I be a girl?  Why do I always have to be compared with a boy?  Can't I be compared with other girls?!?!

--
    64HBS56TE0AI TY Jessizoid!

• aww @iStella I'm sorry your brother is broken, I can completely understand though.  I know school has ruined a lot of my friends.

I wish your parents were more understanding, mine took me out of school back when I was 12 because I was catching a lot of viruses and getting pretty sick.

hugs hugs just know that I'm here for you too @iStella if you ever need to talk :)

Doodle

• @iStella  Exactly. You understand completely. Haha.
  • @MistyMew My brother is like:

"Me, me, me. I need name brands, ew I can't be seen with you. Of course I'm going to punch them, I've got football and I can't get kicked out. Blah blah blah. Oooh my reputation- oh that girl's undateable, she isn't hot! Fat people are so disgusting! Ew, she's got pimples, she has no butt, etc."

That's him.

• Thanks @Doodlepufflove you guys are so nice on here.  It was awesome to get to rant to you guys, made me feel a ton better.  We are going to go on a vacation this summer so when he is away from it all, I will try some of your tips.  It might work, who knows right?

Thank guys

--

• man @frogiepower I don't know how you live when him!!  haha,  I guess mine isn't as bad after all he just doesn't to talk to me since he is so wound up in his own life!
    --