how is miss clue POSSIBLE???

OMG okay so, i started playing VFK about 5 or 6 years ago, it was all i did through junior high. i haven't been on in a couple years, due to just being busy and plus my friends don't play it so it just hasn't been fun, but i have been hearing about all these crazy updates. once i heard about the zoo opening up, i had to get on to check it out because i've wanted it to open up since i was in seventh grade and i never thought it was going to!! SO as i was checking out the zoo and what not, i saw this stuff about miss clue and i started playing it. it's so FUN!! i am addicted. but as i think how cool it is HOW IS IT POSSIBLE?? OMG i've played my fair share of nancy drew games, it was what i played besides VFK when i was younger, and Miss Clue has all the same cursors and the format is so similar to it. at first i thought maybe VFK just got the ability to code it into the game or something, but then when i was playing Cruise Most Deadly, i saw the VFK shirt in the dresser and i got even more confused, because that meant the game was built SPECIFICALLY for VFK. so here are a few questions i have just because i am so curious:

does VFK have the rights to the nancy drew games?? (I know its supposed to be Jane Austen but all i played was the nancy drew games and I'm not sure if they're by the same company?? they're pretty similar if they are not!!)

how did this even become a thing to begin with? when i played VFK this would be the LAST thing i would imagine to be in it!!

do people that don't play VFK but play nancy drew games/jane austen games now play VFK just so they can play Miss Clue?? (this one isn't really related but oh well)

OMG sorry if this comes off as offensive or like i don't appreciate miss clue, i really do. i am just so weirded out by the fact that my two childhood video games are combined into one because i never would have imagined it!!

Comments

• That's pretty cool @walrus I wish VFK would combine my favorite game too!  It would be a super website then!  although I gotta say I love Sharks VS Zombies

Nancy Drew is actually a game type, there have been quite a few games over the years that have the same format as the ND mystery games. That's all I know about that question

Second question,  I am pretty sure they have been planning this for a while, maybe since VFK likes to makes worlds and games they wanted to make a mystery game?

Third question, there are people who come to play Miss clue and Start playing VFK, I would also guess that there is the other version too.  People who play VFK now play Miss clue!

Fun read thanks!
  • I will tell you this -

I was not on VFK until i heard about Miss Clue from the Nancy Drew fandom. It was so similar that I HAD to play it to see what everyone was talking about! It started off as a "WOW! this is the biggest knockoff ever!!" It was totally obvious that the developers were "basing" Miss Clue off of the Nancy Drew games, to the point that to me, it was laughable, but still I found myself continuing to play every week, & even continuing on to the next games they released. Why? Because behind all of the similarities & "ripoffs," if you call them, I found the charm that all Nancy Drew fans have been missing from their newer releases.

So any true Nancy Drew fan knows the similarities (the cursors, menu, storylines, characters, etc), but is it totally "legal?" I guess none of us can totally say for sure. In my eyes, VFK hasn't stolen anything from the Nancy Drew games, and I'm sure that in the process of making these games, they made sure to be as careful as possible so that nothing illegal took place. Then again, even if something illegal did take place, is the Nancy Drew company going to waste time going after a game that's free to play for the most part? I DO know for a fact that the Nancy Drew company is aware of these games, and since, to the best of my knowledge, nothing's been done on their part, I'm guessing that no harm is really being done. But then again, none of us knows exactly what's happening behind the scenes & it's really none of our business. From a technical standpoint, I had heard that the engine the Nancy Drew games were developed under was made specifically by the company for the company. But the Nancy Drew games are "supposedly" in the process of switching to a different game engine (if it ever actually happens), which kind of makes the timing of Miss Clue's release kind of funny.

In my personal opinion, I think it's kind of interesting that VFK began releasing these games right around the time Nancy Drew games went on a hiatus to convert to a new game engine. Is it a coincidence? Just a really good way to grab some of the fans? Then again, I had never heard of VFK before Miss Clue, so how could the developers have known this series would reach the Nancy Drew fandom?

So many questions, but all I can say is that the whole situation is quite interesting to me. I'm glad, though, that these games have been released because in all honesty, despite the lower quality in graphics, voice acting & production - these games beat some of the newer Nancy Drew games for me. They began to become way too puzzle based & frustrating a LONG time ago.

So I guess I'm here now, having a great time both on VFK & on the boards, solving mysteries with Jane Darcy, & enjoying that charm that the Nancy Drew series lost a long time ago, and that the Miss Clue developers somehow found & pieced back together. There's something about a mystery game based solely on discovery & story, NOT just over-the-top locations, graphics & puzzles that's...charming & nostalgic.

So whatever the situation truly is between Miss Clue & Nancy Drew, I'm just glad that Miss Clue exists - especially now that the Nancy Drew games aren't currently being released.

so many questions and NO DONUTS

DONUTS

THANK YOU TACO CAT!! <3

• bluemarlin said:

That's pretty cool @walrus I wish VFK would combine my favorite game too!  It would be a super website then!  although I gotta say I love Sharks VS Zombies

Nancy Drew is actually a game type, there have been quite a few games over the years that have the same format as the ND mystery games. That's all I know about that question

Second question,  I am pretty sure they have been planning this for a while, maybe since VFK likes to makes worlds and games they wanted to make a mystery game?

Third question, there are people who come to play Miss clue and Start playing VFK, I would also guess that there is the other version too.  People who play VFK now play Miss clue!

Fun read thanks!
    omg although they do like making new worlds, miss clue is a WHOLE different ball game!!!  
    DonutLuverr said:

I will tell you this -

I was not on VFK until i heard about Miss Clue from the Nancy Drew fandom. It was so similar that I HAD to play it to see what everyone was talking about! It started off as a "WOW! this is the biggest knockoff ever!!" It was totally obvious that the developers were "basing" Miss Clue off of the Nancy Drew games, to the point that to me, it was laughable, but still I found myself continuing to play every week, & even continuing on to the next games they released. Why? Because behind all of the similarities & "ripoffs," if you call them, I found the charm that all Nancy Drew fans have been missing from their newer releases.

So any true Nancy Drew fan knows the similarities (the cursors, menu, storylines, characters, etc), but is it totally "legal?" I guess none of us can totally say for sure. In my eyes, VFK hasn't stolen anything from the Nancy Drew games, and I'm sure that in the process of making these games, they made sure to be as careful as possible so that nothing illegal took place. Then again, even if something illegal did take place, is the Nancy Drew company going to waste time going after a game that's free to play for the most part? I DO know for a fact that the Nancy Drew company is aware of these games, and since, to the best of my knowledge, nothing's been done on their part, I'm guessing that no harm is really being done. But then again, none of us knows exactly what's happening behind the scenes & it's really none of our business. From a technical standpoint, I had heard that the engine the Nancy Drew games were developed under was made specifically by the company for the company. But the Nancy Drew games are "supposedly" in the process of switching to a different game engine (if it ever actually happens), which kind of makes the timing of Miss Clue's release kind of funny.

In my personal opinion, I think it's kind of interesting that VFK began releasing these games right around the time Nancy Drew games went on a hiatus to convert to a new game engine. Is it a coincidence? Just a really good way to grab some of the fans? Then again, I had never heard of VFK before Miss Clue, so how could the developers have known this series would reach the Nancy Drew fandom?

So many questions, but all I can say is that the whole situation is quite interesting to me. I'm glad, though, that these games have been released because in all honesty, despite the lower quality in graphics, voice acting & production - these games beat some of the newer Nancy Drew games for me. They began to become way too puzzle based & frustrating a LONG time ago.

So I guess I'm here now, having a great time both on VFK & on the boards, solving mysteries with Jane Darcy, & enjoying that charm that the Nancy Drew series lost a long time ago, and that the Miss Clue developers somehow found & pieced back together. There's something about a mystery game based solely on discovery & story, NOT just over-the-top locations, graphics & puzzles that's...charming & nostalgic.

So whatever the situation truly is between Miss Clue & Nancy Drew, I'm just glad that Miss Clue exists - especially now that the Nancy Drew games aren't currently being released.

omg it was funny because when i started the haunted garden one i imagined walking into the blackmoore manor and looking to the left and seeing the wolf OMG!! i do love the games though, they're just fun to play and aren't too hard. I'm happy that VFK made it a thing because now I'm gonna be playing it for a few days straight :-)
  • edited August 2016
    Very well done @DonutLuverr!  Thanks for sharing!  Being a VFK player first and Miss clue Second it was really awesome to listen to the other side!
    --
    64HBS56TE0AI TY Jessizoid!

• I'm glad they combined your favorite games together!

• edited November 2016
    They are very similar in style, design and game play but I would say the storyline, the fluidity of gameplay, the complexity of puzzles, the intricacy of plot, excellent voice acting and the overall quality found in Her Interactive's Nancy Drew games is sorely lacking in Miss Clue. There's a reason Miss Clue games are free and Her Interactive games are $29.99 a pop.

However, if the company behind Miss Clue was given a boost in terms of story and dialogue writing, animated design and puzzle planning, I could see the games drastically improve and become a feasible competitor to Her Interactive. And I do like the setting design of the houses. In interiors are lovely. However, at the moment. No. They're fun but they're nowhere near Nancy Drew quality. Even with Lani Minella providing voices for "Miss Clue: Salem" the dialogue quality and humour is just not there and it shows.

I would have loved to see what Lani would have done with the character of Miss Clue, and her vocal choices instead of the actress we currently have in that role.

Is it just me or does anyone else find the voice acting in these games is very sub par?

That's my two cents.
    Thanks
  • edited January 2017
    After doing a google search on Miss Clue copies Nancy Drew, I wanted to leave a quick note. I am very impressed with all that VFK has done in the past 3-4 years while I haven't been on for about 3. When I saw this mystery game on the homepage, I was so excited. I've played every Nancy Drew game since the first was released in cartoon format. I'm going to say that with all the newfound funding they've received since Gold Stamps for members came out, they are able to expand and delve into other areas. Keep it up developers! Also, so glad for these message boards! Big help. :-bd
    MandaBear
     #VFKSummer2023

• I just discovered Miss Clue today by reading any information about the next ND game after MID, can't wait to play these! 
    I'm guessing the crew who got fired from HER back in 2015 took the recourses (music, sound effects, curser) they been using for two decades and started making Miss Clue, even the building for their Salem game appeared in the original MID teaser in 2015 before the new awful 3d animation , It's probably not legal so maybe ND Games are delayed and Mid is soooo bad because of law suit???