Flash Alternative 2020 Discussion; EDIT: THANK YOU ENIGMA

Hello Everyone! 

AwesomeX posted a thread in 2017 relating to the flash issue. It has been three years now and I have not seen any definitive information besides vague mentions by staff of a flash replacement sometime in the near future. Now that flash is ending in December. I hope VFK has something ready. 

Epic Ages is an option, but the existing problem with it is that you can only log in one account at a time. This is insufficient for clones. Clones are a VFK mainstay. I shall not delve into the problems with EA and clones, but suffice it to mention that the browser VFK is essential. 

With this upcoming anniversary, we shall see new changes and improvements. I hope one of these shall be a flash alternative. Along with that, I hope it doesn’t ruin VFK. Otherwise, players will leave and VFK will lose out. With these hard times, VFK has a lot riding on them and I understand that fact. I just hope with community support and understanding we can ride this storm together. 

For now, however, I am anxious and curious to know what will happen. 

I realize as I am writing this that the logical option is to wait for VFK to officially state something, which no doubt it shall. I cannot however sit idly by and wait. I must at least receive a hint or confirmation of my suspicions and intuitions. It would be reassurance that the money I have put into this game was for naught. Thank you for reading and considering my thoughts!  

Stay safe and God bless!

- Purr

YOXISQRSVREZ
  Thank you, @TacoCat!

Thank you, @Jessizoid!CARYMN8MKODW

Comments

• @Purrfect we will definitely be releasing more details about this in the coming months!

The EpicAges Desktop Client will not be effected by the discontinuation of Flash in the browser, and multi-instance support is planned for EA, as well as other features!
  • Thanks for the question @Purrfect and a little input @VFK_Enigma. Many of us are worried and wondering. 

I don't have the best luck with EA. I see people in game saying it is faster for them but I experience random logging out when I use it. Certainly not being able to run more than one instance is a problem too.

Anxiously awaiting the alternative. I hope all our items transfer correctly. I thought i read something about some items not making it..
  • edited April 2020
    VFK_Enigma said:

@Purrfect we will definitely be releasing more details about this in the coming months!

The EpicAges Desktop Client will not be effected by the discontinuation of Flash in the browser, and multi-instance support is planned for EA, as well as other features!
      Thank you Enigma! This is very reassuring. 

I understand there is always trouble shooting with new additions (new features added to EA) to any software, but I hope this won’t affect EA too much. Some players will start complaining and that only stresses out staff more when they are already doing an amazing job and trying their best like any human being. There is a difference between genuine questioning about an issue and genuine complaining which does not help the problem and only makes it worse, stirring up the populous. It is non-effective and illogical to help solve anything. Let’s hope in the coming months that VFK has a smoother ride and transition into the future technologies.

YOXISQRSVREZ
      Thank you, @TacoCat!

• edited April 2020
    Tillie said:

Thanks for the question @Purrfect and a little input @VFK_Enigma. Many of us are worried and wondering. 

I don't have the best luck with EA. I see people in game saying it is faster for them but I experience random logging out when I use it. Certainly not being able to run more than one instance is a problem too.

Anxiously awaiting the alternative. I hope all our items transfer correctly. I thought i read something about some items not making it..
      There are always glitches with any software. I’m sure VFK has it under control however. We can easily report an issue, thankfully!

YOXISQRSVREZ
      Thank you, @TacoCat!

• Purrfect said:

Tillie said:

Thanks for the question @Purrfect and a little input @VFK_Enigma. Many of us are worried and wondering. 

There are always glitches with any software. I’m sure VFK has it under control however. We can easily report an issue, thankfully!
    I didn't doubt they did.
  • Tillie said:

Purrfect said:

Tillie said:

I didn't doubt they did.
      I'm sure you didn't :) 

YOXISQRSVREZ
      Thank you, @TacoCat!

• Epic Ages app I believe runs on Adobe Air, not Adobe Flash (from what I've read).  It's faster for me than using a browser but you mentioned the app drawbacks accurately.  I could add alot more upgrades and features that it needs, but if VFK is fixing it up, that's great news.  It's showing its age, and could be MUCH more useful without having to reinvent the wheel.  I'm just glad it works for me at this point.  Daughter said it crashes on her computer, so I have to take a look at what she's doing.  EA app holds great potential, and if they fix it up, I'd be using it quite alot more than I am now.

As far as timelines for non-Flash VFK?  That can be hard to see.  I've been assured many times by staff that it WILL happen, and on time.  I'm happy with that answer.  Given all of that, might be closer to the end of the year before it's released?  Whatever.  Like Enigma said, they'll be making announcements when things get closer to completion.  Honestly...I'm not worried at all.

Even if VFK goes under, the money you contributed to game over the years hasn't been 'lost' or 'wasted' or anything.  You've got much more than your moneys worth in entertainment value for money you've paid VFK ;)  VFK continues to amaze me with the value of their packages AND their month-to-month VIP memberships.  $2.50/week for monthly?  Probably cheaper than a cup of Starbucks coffee (although I'm not a fan of theirs, I just know their coffee is crazy expensive).  And their packages are jammed full of so much extra coolness.  Like I said, it's surprising.  If you rent a movie...does the money you spend go to waste?  Nopers.

I don't believe VFK will go under at all.  Changes will probably happen, but that's on their side...and we just roll with it, understanding that this is a critical change that must happen.  And it affects many other games on the 'net, not just VFK.  And those games have their own betas going on, changing some things along the way.  A great many people are affected by this change (perspective).  Worry not :)

Flame

You'd be surprised what you can do with the short end of the stick
  • Flamanar said:

Epic Ages app I believe runs on Adobe Air, not Adobe Flash (from what I've read).  It's faster for me than using a browser but you mentioned the app drawbacks accurately.  I could add alot more upgrades and features that it needs, but if VFK is fixing it up, that's great news.  It's showing its age, and could be MUCH more useful without having to reinvent the wheel.  I'm just glad it works for me at this point.  Daughter said it crashes on her computer, so I have to take a look at what she's doing.  EA app holds great potential, and if they fix it up, I'd be using it quite alot more than I am now.

As far as timelines for non-Flash VFK?  That can be hard to see.  I've been assured many times by staff that it WILL happen, and on time.  I'm happy with that answer.  Given all of that, might be closer to the end of the year before it's released?  Whatever.  Like Enigma said, they'll be making announcements when things get closer to completion.  Honestly...I'm not worried at all.

Even if VFK goes under, the money you contributed to game over the years hasn't been 'lost' or 'wasted' or anything.  You've got much more than your moneys worth in entertainment value for money you've paid VFK ;)  VFK continues to amaze me with the value of their packages AND their month-to-month VIP memberships.  $2.50/week for monthly?  Probably cheaper than a cup of Starbucks coffee (although I'm not a fan of theirs, I just know their coffee is crazy expensive).  And their packages are jammed full of so much extra coolness.  Like I said, it's surprising.  If you rent a movie...does the money you spend go to waste?  Nopers.

I don't believe VFK will go under at all.  Changes will probably happen, but that's on their side...and we just roll with it, understanding that this is a critical change that must happen.  And it affects many other games on the 'net, not just VFK.  And those games have their own betas going on, changing some things along the way.  A great many people are affected by this change (perspective).  Worry not :)

Flame
      You make a good point, Flame. I have not wasted my money at all. I just would hate to see my most favorite game of all time sink. But I am assured it won't now :) 

Purr

YOXISQRSVREZ
      Thank you, @TacoCat!

• Purrfect said:

You make a good point, Flame. I have not wasted my money at all. I just would hate to see my most favorite game of all time sink. But I am assured it won't now :) 

@Purrfect Alot of people would be upset if VFK went away, for sure!!  For most of us, it's 'home'.  Especially during times like this virus where our real homes feel more like 'cells' we're locked in.  Sure there's ways to make living in a house/space still enjoyable, but after a few months?  We have 4 people in our condo.  Do the math, LOL.  It's a really big condo!!  But it feels like it keeps getting smaller and smaller.  And the more everyone is there all the time, the more stuff gets used, gets broken, etc.  VFK is a great form of escapism.  Just like VMK was for me when I was so sick, before they figured out I had Crohns.  It was diversion, and kept my mind occupied.  Thankfully VFK was there not long after VMK shutdown.  Everyone needs to get away sometime ;)  We're all in it together.  And no social distancing worries in game  lol!

Flame

You'd be surprised what you can do with the short end of the stick
  • Flamanar said:

Purrfect said:

@Purrfect Alot of people would be upset if VFK went away, for sure!!  For most of us, it's 'home'.  Especially during times like this virus where our real homes feel more like 'cells' we're locked in.  Sure there's ways to make living in a house/space still enjoyable, but after a few months?  We have 4 people in our condo.  Do the math, LOL.  It's a really big condo!!  But it feels like it keeps getting smaller and smaller.  And the more everyone is there all the time, the more stuff gets used, gets broken, etc.  VFK is a great form of escapism.  Just like VMK was for me when I was so sick, before they figured out I had Crohns.  It was diversion, and kept my mind occupied.  Thankfully VFK was there not long after VMK shutdown.  Everyone needs to get away sometime ;)  We're all in it together.  And no social distancing worries in game  lol!

Flame
      So true!! VFK has been a great comfort to me for so, so long!

YOXISQRSVREZ
      Thank you, @TacoCat!