Room size management ideas

Hey guys! I posted this in the most recent Developer Blog post comments but I thought a separate thread for it wouldn't hurt as it's an idea that I feel many people on VFK would appreciate and utilize:

VFK should allow room owners to automatically boot players who are AFK or inactive after a set amount of time, from maybe 5 minutes to an hour or so. That would help the phenomenon of popular rooms being full. Also, maybe consider raising the room limit from 25 to something more? Maybe 40-50 at the most.

Just suggestions to help make hosting rooms on VFK easier!

X

ETA: I also think VFK should add trading indicators to tell others in the room that two people are trading each other, so that owners know who is trading and who's just AFK.

goodboye

Comments

• I like the room limit idea but not so sure about auto boot.. sometimes we can be in a really long trade so being booted for not talking could lead to problem for big trades..
    VFKWeeklyNews3
  • I agree with raising the room limits. Unfortunately I have been in trades that have lasted hours... so I'm not sure how that would work.

• EleanorRose said:

I like the room limit idea but not so sure about auto boot.. sometimes we can be in a really long trade so being booted for not talking could lead to problem for big trades..

I.Am.Chalk said:

I agree with raising the room limits. Unfortunately I have been in trades that have lasted hours... so I'm not sure how that would work.

There could be ways to make it so that people in trade don't get booted, I'm sure. 

goodboye
  • this is a good suggestion 
    cutelina
  • cute_lina said:

this is a good suggestion 

Thanks!

goodboye
  • Auto-boot for those AFK wouldn't be a problem. The AFK code [or whatever] could be tailored to kick out only those who have not been active on VFK within the last 10 minutes or so. I know a ton of games that do this - they will only remove you from the game/room if you have been inactive on the game itself for a set period of time. Long trades wouldn't be problematic for an auto-boot feature.
    ★☆★☆★
    butterflyaway
    If you'd like a signature similar to mine, please message me! I take requests!
    whistle
    ★☆★☆★

• AwesomeX said:

cute_lina said:

this is a good suggestion 

Thanks!
    np
    cutelina
  • I think I mentioned something similar about booting afk people because full trade rooms are so annoying! And I know PLENTY of players who just sit there and never ever trade. And often owners are also afk so they don’t do afk checks, or they just leave. I also think that friends who have perms to a room should be able to boot players too - as sometimes there are trade rooms with drama or afk people and no one can boot anyone because owner isn’t there - but this could be fixed if people with perms could boot too. Although, I’m sure this could also backfire in some ways so that may be an iffy idea.

But I’m all for expanding room limit or auto-booting afk people after a set time as well as the trading symbols would be super useful as well! Magic had them and they were handy.

About room limit, if 50 people managed to get in a room, imagine the lag with the chat though.. assuming most people are talking.
  • Perpetual_Fighter said:

I think I mentioned something similar about booting afk people because full trade rooms are so annoying! And I know PLENTY of players who just sit there and never ever trade. And often owners are also afk so they don’t do afk checks, or they just leave. I also think that friends who have perms to a room should be able to boot players too - as sometimes there are trade rooms with drama or afk people and no one can boot anyone because owner isn’t there - but this could be fixed if people with perms could boot too. Although, I’m sure this could also backfire in some ways so that may be an iffy idea.

But I’m all for expanding room limit or auto-booting afk people after a set time as well as the trading symbols would be super useful as well! Magic had them and they were handy.

About room limit, if 50 people managed to get in a room, imagine the lag with the chat though.. assuming most people are talking.

Agreed about the perms. I think there could be a sort of "room moderators" permission that would be different from regular room perms, so that you can give that power only to people you trust (which I believe is the best option). Maybe it can be earned instead of given to everyone; those with the most popular rooms get it so that it won't be abused or something.

About the room limit, it was just the first number that came to mind; 50 does seem a bit much! Maybe closer to 30-35.

X

goodboye
  • AwesomeX said:

Perpetual_Fighter said:

I think I mentioned something similar about booting afk people because full trade rooms are so annoying! And I know PLENTY of players who just sit there and never ever trade. And often owners are also afk so they don’t do afk checks, or they just leave. I also think that friends who have perms to a room should be able to boot players too - as sometimes there are trade rooms with drama or afk people and no one can boot anyone because owner isn’t there - but this could be fixed if people with perms could boot too. Although, I’m sure this could also backfire in some ways so that may be an iffy idea.

Agreed about the perms. I think there could be a sort of "room moderators" permission that would be different from regular room perms, so that you can give that power only to people you trust (which I believe is the best option). Maybe it can be earned instead of given to everyone; those with the most popular rooms get it so that it won't be abused or something.

About the room limit, it was just the first number that came to mind; 50 does seem a bit much! Maybe closer to 30-35.

X
    Yeah, that's also a good idea/twist to it! 30-35 sounds so much more reasonable to me.
  • I agree with a trading symbol, would be nice to have