I found the books Miss Clue is based on!

I've had this three book series sitting around forever and never got around to reading them. Imagine my surprise when I picked up the first book recently and found I was reading Formula for Danger! Then the second sounded like Cruise Most Deadly and the third is without a doubt Secret of the Haunted Garden. I love when games are based off books and this made me love Miss Clue even more.

The series is called the Madge Sterling series by Ann Wirt and it's from 1932! The books are: 
1. The Missing Formula 
2. The Deserted Yacht 
3. The Secret of the Sundial.

I love these old girl mystery books and really hope they make more games based off some!
Tagged:

Comments

• Ann Wirt is the ghost writer name of Mildred Benson who is the original ghost writer of the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories from 1930 as Carolyn Keene. She wrote the Nancy Drew series From No.1 Secret of the Old Clock up to No. 23 - The Clue of the Velvet Mask.
    She wrote over 100 books under the Stratemeyer Syndicate. 

I knew that the storyline seemed familiar! I haven't read Madge Sterling books, but have the original Nancy Drew 1930's editions, Dana Girls, Penny Parker. 
    Pixsig
  • How interesting. I thought in some way Miss Clue was based off of Pride and Prejudice. Just some of the names are the same. Pemberly, Jane, etc.
     HBForever's Signature
    Thank you @Purrfect
  • edited March 2017
    @Pixx I adore Mildred (hence why I got the Madge Sterling series lol) but I'm actually not a fan of her Nancy Drew books, I prefer the ones written by Edna Stratemeyer. So games based on her series which is probably the least popular feels like some kind of wonderful miracle to me! You can read the series free online btw! All the books are in the public domain now.
  • Mildred really had no choice how to really freely express herself with the ND series. It was very strictly supervised with Edward Statemeyer. There were many battles along the way, if you already had known. I was very lucky to have the opportunity to actually meet the Statemeyer family when I was at one of the Nancy Drew conventions. I have a vast collection of ND books, which include some first editions from the original series. 
    My first introduction to ND was actually from Edna's books! So they are special to me as well. I actually enjoy both versions of the series. Though Mildred wrote more details than Edna did, and Edna wrote more adventure than Mildred did. 
    That's great on being able to read the series online! I have an old Nook but not sure if they are able to download from B&N.. I'll check it out! 
    I stopped collecting ND about 8 or 9 yrs ago before the new series was not Nancy at all! The new portrayal of Nancy Drew is anything but the original characteristics. They have totally destroyed the character in my opinion.

I also beta tested the original ND games, so even though I enjoy Miss Clue, I have played before the type of game, and sadly do not have that anticipation and excitement to actually play the games. 
    Pixsig