Trash can

Probably already been discussed/suggested before.  Here it is again:

We need a -TRASH CAN-.  Inventories become crazy, and we have to store junk that nobody else wants.  Making our inventories unwieldy, and trapped into trying to find a place for the junk.

Since I know what everyone's thinking ("what happens if someone makes a mistake?  it would cause a bunch of help reports because people made an 'accident'").  NOPE.  Make it kinda like Windows and other programs.  You can allow people to dump things into their own 'trash can'...but make the items only PERMANENTLY deleted after say a week, or 30 days.  If the person made a mistake, they can retrieve it from trash if it's within 'x' amount of time.  No worries of crazy amounts of help reports.  If the person realized after like 30 days that they made a mistake, then they need to get better at their inventory management.

You can disable the ability to throw things away that are:  antiques, host items, collectibles, other rare.  Have the trash can option throw up multiple checks with the person throwing 'x' item away that that's REALLY what they want to do.

TOO.
MUCH.
JUNK.
TO.
STORE.

Thanks, Flame.

You'd be surprised what you can do with the short end of the stick

Comments

• edited February 2020
    Personally, If this was to happen I would only want this for buy-able items that we can always just re-buy later if we wanted to. I would hate to see retired and rare items be just thrown away. Especially for those of us that are room builders and us that actually put a lot of those stored up items to good use. Also, technically there already is a trash can but it is actually a furniture exchange thing rather than a trash. I was always saddened when I saw players put useful and lovely maze walls into the exchange that a lot of us builders need in our rooms. Most players though I think know to only put buy-able stuff into it. Also, it would be complicated I think for staff to go through every single type of item in the game and make each one have the option of "sell-able" or "not sell-able". This request has been brought up to staff a lot through the years and staff have tried to do it to an extent. However, because of how many different unique items are already in the game from the past 10 years, it makes it more complicated like I said. A lot of work for Staff as well. I would love the "sell-able" option for buy-able items yes, but accomplishing it is an entirely different thing.

waterfallglow signature

my signature was drawn by waterfallglow (me)! I did this completely myself using Paint program. :) ^_^

• I think it’s a great idea for buy-able items!
    I joined VFK on September 22nd 2013 <3 
    400700_113340368867716_949336079_n
  • waterfallglow said:

Personally, If this was to happen I would only want this for buy-able items that we can always just re-buy later if we wanted to. I would hate to see retired and rare items be just thrown away. Especially for those of us that are room builders and us that actually put a lot of those stored up items to good use. Also, technically there already is a trash can but it is actually a furniture exchange thing rather than a trash. I was always saddened when I saw players put useful and lovely maze walls into the exchange that a lot of us builders need in our rooms. Most players though I think know to only put buy-able stuff into it. Also, it would be complicated I think for staff to go through every single type of item in the game and make each one have the option of "sell-able" or "not sell-able". This request has been brought up to staff a lot through the years and staff have tried to do it to an extent. However, because of how many different unique items are already in the game from the past 10 years, it makes it more complicated like I said. A lot of work for Staff as well. I would love the "sell-able" option for buy-able items yes, but accomplishing it is an entirely different thing.

@waterfallglow  yep, that's basically what I was saying.  Confining it to buy-able items and possibly other such items.  Then again they could just allow us to sell buy-able stuff back as you mentioned. 

My reasoning for this suggestion:  right now, I'm looking at 200+ boxes of chocolates that I don't want nor need.  hundreds of cards.  I got about 170 piles of dead roses in dirt (basically dirt, the roses can be unplanted, but I don't have the time to do that, and I definitely don't want to store the dirt).  I have about 9,000 pieces of candy spread across my main account and 2 of my clones accounts.  About 1500 pieces of old Valentines furnish taking up crazy space in another shed.  Much more in addition to all that as well.

I've experienced same as you the sad tossing of items by people of things that I could use.  I'm more or less a 'random builder', in that I build once inspiration comes to me.  But everyone is free to do what they want with their inventory.  Some things I definitely get LOTS of and store it, because I can feel that I'll be using that in the future for a build.  I'm doing that as we speak with the wall roses...none of those are going into the exchange.  I'm up to about 2,000 of those in inventory, and totally cool with it.  But other peoples stuff is their stuff.  Whether they throw it away or sit on it, it's useless to anyone else unless they have a taker.  And storing things forever is equivalent to throwing it away.

I did mention that some things should not be toss-able (like rare, discontinued, antique, collectible, etc.).  'Rare' is iffy, as what's rare today is common tomorrow (judging by some of my former 'rare' items from 2008-2011).  Yes we have the furnish exchange...and since I came back from my 8 year hiatus last May, there's been -1- furnish exchange.  Not nearly often enough for me.  Worse, it yielded what I consider garbage furniture (the werewolf stuff).  It was ugly to me, and now I have a pile of that which I'd really like to get rid of as well!  My daughter loves it though, so obviously one persons trash is another person's treasure, lol.  So please understand that people have different tastes.  I love the Valentine statues.  My wife is like 'eh' towards them.  LOL  I couldn't believe that, but it is what it is.

In the end, people should be able to decide what to do with their stuff.  Having a 7-day or even a 30-day window during which a person can go back and retrieve trashed items is fairly common and not unreasonable...a good 'safety net'.  Regarding difficulty for staff coding it...we can already sell food back, so it's doable, imho. 

Yes, I believe this topic was discussed between 2008-2011.  God only knows how many other times it was brought up since 2011.  Honestly...it's our 'property', and we should be able to do whatever we want with it.  I try to keep my inventory 'lean'.  But that can't happen when I have piles of stuff, which requires me to buy a shed/sheds to store it all in.  And if I have rare, I should be able to sell it, gift it or toss it.  Honestly doesn't matter if it's disabled from being thrown out or not, as it belongs to nobody else.  Disabling it from being tossed merely means that VFK chooses to force people to keep things they don't want.  An odd concept to me.  Not trying to sound pompous or anything like that, so please don't take it that way.  Just explaining my reasoning for the idea.  Anything new requires staff to work on it.  Since this is Developer Ideas, I'm talking about something 'x' amount of time into the future.  I appreciated your input, waterfallglow.  And I appreciated your opinions as well.  It's when nobody says anything that I start to worry ;)  lol :)

Flame

• edited February 2020
    Flamanar said:

@waterfallglow  yep, that's basically what I was saying.  Confining it to buy-able items and possibly other such items.  Then again they could just allow us to sell buy-able stuff back as you mentioned. 

My reasoning for this suggestion:  right now, I'm looking at 200+ boxes of chocolates that I don't want nor need.  hundreds of cards.  I got about 170 piles of dead roses in dirt (basically dirt, the roses can be unplanted, but I don't have the time to do that, and I definitely don't want to store the dirt).  I have about 9,000 pieces of candy spread across my main account and 2 of my clones accounts.  About 1500 pieces of old Valentines furnish taking up crazy space in another shed.  Much more in addition to all that as well.

I've experienced same as you the sad tossing of items by people of things that I could use.  I'm more or less a 'random builder', in that I build once inspiration comes to me.  But everyone is free to do what they want with their inventory.  Some things I definitely get LOTS of and store it, because I can feel that I'll be using that in the future for a build.  I'm doing that as we speak with the wall roses...none of those are going into the exchange.  I'm up to about 2,000 of those in inventory, and totally cool with it.  But other peoples stuff is their stuff.  Whether they throw it away or sit on it, it's useless to anyone else unless they have a taker.  And storing things forever is equivalent to throwing it away.

I did mention that some things should not be toss-able (like rare, discontinued, antique, collectible, etc.).  'Rare' is iffy, as what's rare today is common tomorrow (judging by some of my former 'rare' items from 2008-2011).  Yes we have the furnish exchange...and since I came back from my 8 year hiatus last May, there's been -1- furnish exchange.  Not nearly often enough for me.  Worse, it yielded what I consider garbage furniture (the werewolf stuff).  It was ugly to me, and now I have a pile of that which I'd really like to get rid of as well!  My daughter loves it though, so obviously one persons trash is another person's treasure, lol.  So please understand that people have different tastes.  I love the Valentine statues.  My wife is like 'eh' towards them.  LOL  I couldn't believe that, but it is what it is.

In the end, people should be able to decide what to do with their stuff.  Having a 7-day or even a 30-day window during which a person can go back and retrieve trashed items is fairly common and not unreasonable...a good 'safety net'.  Regarding difficulty for staff coding it...we can already sell food back, so it's doable, imho. 

Yes, I believe this topic was discussed between 2008-2011.  God only knows how many other times it was brought up since 2011.  Honestly...it's our 'property', and we should be able to do whatever we want with it.  I try to keep my inventory 'lean'.  But that can't happen when I have piles of stuff, which requires me to buy a shed/sheds to store it all in.  And if I have rare, I should be able to sell it, gift it or toss it.  Honestly doesn't matter if it's disabled from being thrown out or not, as it belongs to nobody else.  Disabling it from being tossed merely means that VFK chooses to force people to keep things they don't want.  An odd concept to me.  Not trying to sound pompous or anything like that, so please don't take it that way.  Just explaining my reasoning for the idea.  Anything new requires staff to work on it.  Since this is Developer Ideas, I'm talking about something 'x' amount of time into the future.  I appreciated your input, waterfallglow.  And I appreciated your opinions as well.  It's when nobody says anything that I start to worry ;)  lol :)

Flame
    Thank you for your reply. :) Glad to know we agree on that it should be mainly buy-able items. I do also kinda agree that some non buy-able items would be good to get rid of. Like the rose vases we get from the rose bushes for example. Those we can always get more of though (if needed) by harvesting again. Maybe also selling the stuff that is buy-able only certain times of the year. Like the Christmas ornaments and trimming that return every December. I think it just depends. Also, technically we already can as players get rid of things we do not want to keep. That being through trade as opposed to eliminating that particular item from the game all together. So I don't think staff are exactly forcing us to keep our items when we do have the option to trade them away. None the less though, I do understand that it can be on the difficult side if you can't find somebody to trade them away to. I also do understand the struggles of having too much stuff. My inventory is completely packed right now and I am trying to make a better storage system for everything. I even asked staff on another thread for more storage shed options in some new colors. I am one that does not mind just storing most of my things if I can just find the time to do it. I also am short on time a lot. Finding balance between the game and real life is difficult sometimes. Anyway, again thank you for your kind reply. I really appreciate how you replied in such a friendly and mature manner even though we don't 100% agree on every aspect of the topic.

waterfallglow signature

my signature was drawn by waterfallglow (me)! I did this completely myself using Paint program. :) ^_^

• waterfallglow said:

Thank you for your reply. :) Glad to know we agree on that it should be mainly buy-able items. I do also kinda agree that some non buy-able items would be good to get rid of. Like the rose vases we get from the rose bushes for example. Those we can always get more of though (if needed) by harvesting again. Maybe also selling the stuff that is buy-able only certain times of the year. Like the Christmas ornaments and trimming that return every December. I think it just depends. Also, technically we already can as players get rid of things we do not want to keep. That being through trade as opposed to eliminating that particular item from the game all together. So I don't think staff are exactly forcing us to keep our items when we do have the option to trade them away. None the less though, I do understand that it can be on the difficult side if you can't find somebody to trade them away to. I also do understand the struggles of having too much stuff. My inventory is completely packed right now and I am trying to make a better storage system for everything. I even asked staff on another thread for more storage shed options in some new colors. I am one that does not mind just storing most of my things if I can just find the time to do it. I also am short on time a lot. Finding balance between the game and real life is difficult sometimes. Anyway, again thank you for your kind reply. I really appreciate how you replied in such a friendly and mature manner even though we don't 100% agree on every aspect of the topic.

Aww, and I appreciated that you shared good honest banter and exchange of ideas with me!  Nobody agrees on everything, and hearing other opinions/ideas/perspectives tends to make things better!  It's a good thing :)  I do have a 'shed room'.  So I'm good for now.  When I run out of room for sheds, then I'm in trouble, lol.  When I came back to game last year, I traded down all my clones to my main (except the candy).  I can't believe how much stuff I had acquired in 3 years (2008-2011)!!  God bless sheds is all I can say LOL.  Still trying to find a solution to 9k pieces of candy from like 2010....no idea how I got all those lol.   Can't even exchange them cause they're old.  And I might kill my mouse just clicking to move them from one place to another lol.  Might be able to get staff to toast them or something.  One way to find out.  Thanks again for a great conversation and exchange (hugs)

Flame

• @Flamanar Oh wow, yea that is a lot of candy. Maybe over time you can gift them to new players? Anyway, have a good night and thank you as well. -hugs hugs- :)

waterfallglow signature

• With my junk I store it all in a shed or a clone. When it comes time for the Halloween furniture exchange I take it all out and use it then.
  • Icyblue said:

With my junk I store it all in a shed or a clone. When it comes time for the Halloween furniture exchange I take it all out and use it then.

Hi Icyblue!!  I believe my stuff is too old and isn't allowed in the exchange :/  I have it all in sheds too.  Candy and furnish are from between 2008-2011.  I thought the exchanges were more frequent, but have only seen one in almost a year now...which is a bummer.

Thanks for that info, though!! (hugs)

Flame

• One thing I did if it isn't obvious already was wrap my junk things into gift boxes and make walls out of 'em for my gingerbread contest room. :)

But yes I agree, I still have so much junk to wrap still. Maybe you will see more gift walls in the future, hint hint! LOL

Also if they make this, I wanna see how they're gonna term it. Colloquialism and such. Will it be "rubbish bin" & "waste basket" for the Brits or the usual "trash can", "dumpster" or "garbage bin" for Americans.

What do Australians call it? LOL

ABOUT: Signed up: February 2017 Miss Clue only: March 2017 Regularly playing the kingdom: April 2017 hehehehehe...... Came for MISS CLUE, stayed for VFK <3

Miss Clue Mysteries Border 2 

VFK thiefpeasant from enigma 1
    tazzie grinzzzz by moi
    Snazzy beanieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    surfer and her secrets lol
    G FOR GIFT GIFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Screenshot_1 VFK 000 winter65 VFK GIFTTTTTTTTT's BIRTHDAY VFK shy no shy scaleenigma questions my existence

LOGO from BLUEWIZ

Made by @bluewiz
    THANK YOU!  

santa claus listening to me
    mrs claus lovvvve
    mrs claus 2022 music question
  • I will gladly take all items that you want to throw away. Please let me know if you would like to dispose of your items.

Thank you.
  • GIFT said:

One thing I did if it isn't obvious already was wrap my junk things into gift boxes and make walls out of 'em for my gingerbread contest room. :)

But yes I agree, I still have so much junk to wrap still. Maybe you will see more gift walls in the future, hint hint! LOL

Also if they make this, I wanna see how they're gonna term it. Colloquialism and such. Will it be "rubbish bin" & "waste basket" for the Brits or the usual "trash can", "dumpster" or "garbage bin" for Americans.

@ Gift...I did NOT notice that, LOL!  Pretty creative!  Naming would be interesting (since they use the 'way out' signs at room exits).  Politically correct would probably be 'recycle/reuse'. It could be a place people got rid of their unwanted items and others could look through the 'bin/bins' at their leisure to see if there was anything there they could use.  As such, most things wouldn't go 'to waste'.  Spitballing there lol ;)

• PunkRockUniverse said:

I will gladly take all items that you want to throw away. Please let me know if you would like to dispose of your items.

Thank you.

@punk Wow!  I will take you up on that offer and hope that my poor mouse will survive the clicking ;)  I'll look ya up in game, Rock, to get it going.  Thanks alot!!!!!!!!!

Flame

• Another thing you can do flame is buy a ride award system, store the junk in that and host a "free" room lots of people come to those to get free lol. Don't get rid of all your old candy or easter eggs because you never know if we will need it for the ultimate exchanges.
  • Icyblue said:

Another thing you can do flame is buy a ride award system, store the junk in that and host a "free" room lots of people come to those to get free lol. Don't get rid of all your old candy or easter eggs because you never know if we will need it for the ultimate exchanges.

@Icyblue Thanks for the suggestion!!  I do have one of those award systems (somewhere).  And when I clean house in game, I always hold onto some, like you said 'just in case'.  Thanks again!!  Easter eggs.....sigh, lol.  I heard that's pretty intense now.  Can't wait. lol

Flame

• GIFT said:

One thing I did if it isn't obvious already was wrap my junk things into gift boxes and make walls out of 'em for my gingerbread contest room. :)

Flamanar said:

GIFT said:

@ Gift...I did NOT notice that, LOL!  Pretty creative!  Naming would be interesting (since they use the 'way out' signs at room exits).  Politically correct would probably be 'recycle/reuse'. It could be a place people got rid of their unwanted items and others could look through the 'bin/bins' at their leisure to see if there was anything there they could use.  As such, most things wouldn't go 'to waste'.  Spitballing there lol ;)

Ooops..

I meant "garbage can".

Bins

Bins

Everywhere... Even in typo. :D

ABOUT: Signed up: February 2017 Miss Clue only: March 2017 Regularly playing the kingdom: April 2017 hehehehehe...... Came for MISS CLUE, stayed for VFK <3

Miss Clue Mysteries Border 2 

VFK thiefpeasant from enigma 1
    tazzie grinzzzz by moi
    Snazzy beanieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    surfer and her secrets lol
    G FOR GIFT GIFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Screenshot_1 VFK 000 winter65 VFK GIFTTTTTTTTT's BIRTHDAY VFK shy no shy scaleenigma questions my existence

LOGO from BLUEWIZ

Made by @bluewiz
    THANK YOU!  

santa claus listening to me
    mrs claus lovvvve
    mrs claus 2022 music question