Why does Kitty become more formal with Jane?

Spoiler:
On Jane's first visit to the Red Lion (I think that's the name), Kitty addresses Jane Darcy as "Jane." Thereafter, Kitty refers to Jane as "Miss Darcy" regardless of whether other people are present. Is this simply inconsistency or was it something I said? On first playing, I chose responses that sounded the most appropriate to my ear in terms of the period, On reflection, I restarted to see if Kitty would continue to call me Jane if I told her what a dear friend she was. She did not. Was there a conversational chain that triggered the change?

Comments

• edited September 2016

It's interesting that you noticed this.  We had hoped to expand Kitty's personality by having her use Jane in this case, as they were alone, Jane had been away for a while and Kitty had what she considered "exciting" news.  And as we discover Kitty often has "exciting" news.

Without giving anything away, there is one other time that Kitty "breaks with tradition" and refers to Miss Darcy as Jane.  In this second instance they are alone again and Kitty is very excited.  You might say that when Kitty gets caught up in the moment she is prone to become less formal than protocol might require, and we hoped this would also show a familiarity between the two as well as that Jane could be comfortable in an informal situation.

We really appreciate your input! 

Gracie