Surgery (Update)

Push all the information you know about my headaches and illness behind at the moment. I have another problem.

I need a root canal. 

I'm getting it done on Wednesday this week and will be back for school on Friday, the day before my one of best friend's birthday, 

Wish me luck.

Oh and, who's had one before? What's it like?
"I'm not great with advice, may I offer a sarcastic comment instead?"

Comments

• aw, Good luck! Sorry I can't tell you!
     HBForever's Signature
    Thank you @Purrfect
  • @HBforever It's cool :D And thanks
  • I've had a root canal.  the root of my tooth was infected so it had be to removed, so a root canal was in order

It wasn't bad at all actually I liked it better than the dentist! XD  I went in and you sit down like a normal dentist only it was in a more secluded room and it was bigger than normal.  They laid me back and used a needle to numb the area,  I was really nervous about it but the DR didn't hurt at all so he got an A+ for that!  Then I didn't really feel a thing they used a longer than normal drill it took a while but it didn't hurt at all when the numbing drug wore off.  Then of course I went to my actual dentist and he put on a crown.  Although I think you can't have a crown until you're over 18 or something, I don't know if this applies to you but they will probably tell you if it does

Good luck @frogiepower  We'll have our fingers crossed it goes well!
    ColourzRNice2
  • Its not bad at all. I had one done last year!
    I joined VFK on September 22nd 2013 <3 
    400700_113340368867716_949336079_n
  • @ColourzRnice Oh thanks. That makes me feel better. Like, I'm not afraid of it. I just hate pain. 
  • @SaharaHollyglow Thank you
  • edited September 2016
    I've had a few (and one that had to be retreated). My reply's kinda long so I put it in spoiler boxes xD (nvm, boxes were a fail)

My dr usually starts by putting a numbing gel on the gums and then gives Novocaine shots where the gel was applied (i've also had the shots without the numbing gel). The first shot feels like a pinch but you shouldn't really feel the next one(s).

Once the area is numb, the dr will put a rubber dam on the tooth (you may feel some pressure when the clamp is put on). This will keep the tooth isolated and prevent contamination from the rest of your mouth while the tooth is being worked on.

Then the dr will: 
    • dry the tooth
    • drill it
    • remove the pulp
    • file and clean the canal
    • pack small rubber cone shaped things in the tooth canal to seal it (Just a heads up: this is done with some kind of heated tool. I usually notice a tiny bit of smoke and a funky odor).
    Then depending on which tooth it is, it will get a temporary filling eventually followed by a crown or just a permanent filling.

After the procedure there may be soreness in your jaw from keeping it extended for a long time, i've noticed that the clamp from the rubber dam can cause mild irritation. There could also be mild discomfort in the area around the tooth as well.

My Endodontist instructed me to take anti-inflammatory meds for the discomfort. I found it best to do this before the Novocaine wears off completely. That being said, you will most likely get aftercare instructions. Please follow the instructions given to you by the dr!
    art gallery 2
    "All he wanted was a hug and Piper set him on fire" - VFK_Vintage
    "YOU CHEESE CUBES >:U" - VFK_Enigma
    "If I had a bucket of cheese spread and a mop ... I'd coat the floor in cheesiness." - VFK_Enigma
    "I'm sorry I ruined your lives and crammed eleven cookies into the VCR.” - Buddy the elf
    "Panic! at the Space Party Boat" - VFK_Vintage

• I TRIED TO READ THE COMMENTS SO I COULD TRY TO HELP BUT I CANT READ ANYMORE I'LL PASS OUT. I doubt its that bad its just what their writing makes me light headed. xD (I got light headed at popping a pimple I'm not very good at things that have to do with health ooops) I'm sure everything will go great! There's no need to worry! :D
    Just an artist who loves anime and video games!
    76722c13-5af4-4bd2-a517-f4051b16cbca-tumblr_p5c4cir7241sejmmmo7_540
  • edited September 2016
    LOL @TacoCat I completely understand!  I'm REALLY bad at medical stuff too!
    I am a total mystery girl!
    Never without my magnifying glass <3
    MarzipanFromBluewiz3
    Thanks to @bluewiz for this amazing Secret Santa Christmas present!!
  • @Awesome_Piper  Thanks :D  But how long would it be before I can eat solid food? They said it might be a while.
  • @TacoCat  Haha, I know people like that. I can sit there and watch blood ooz from a cut if I wanted to. (Sorry XD) And thanks :D
  • As I recall, it was a couple days before I could eat almost normally (no chewing gum, hard nuts and things like that), and when I had my crown put on, I didn't have to wait at all.

But everyone's teeth and dental appointments are different, so it really depends on what he tells you after you have your root canal.  In the end, though, it shouldn't be longer than a week and a half before you can eat normally. :D

Ask before taking.
  • @Trinityy  Aw, I don't have to wait long. That'll make me go crazy,
  • When is your appointment scheduled? :D

Ask before taking.
  • You should be able to eat once the Novocaine wears off. Please wait for it to wear off completely!! This could take a few hours. 
    Once you are able to eat you should probably avoid foods that are sticky (like gum or candy) and crunchy or hard (like carrots or nuts).
    Assuming you will get a temporary filling or a temporary crown, you should try to chew on the other side of your mouth until the permanent filling or crown in put in as the temporary ones are, well.. temporary. 

art gallery 2
    "If I had a bucket of cheese spread and a mop ... I'd coat the floor in cheesiness." - VFK_Enigma
    "I'm sorry I ruined your lives and crammed eleven cookies into the VCR.” - Buddy the elf

• Wow @Awesome_Piper that is so spot on!  I can't add anything @frogiepower Piper mentioned everything you need to know!  good luck and kudos to piper!
    ColourzRNice2
  • @frogiepower Ahh haha XD

@Marzipan :'D I'm not alone! xD
    Just an artist who loves anime and video games!
    76722c13-5af4-4bd2-a517-f4051b16cbca-tumblr_p5c4cir7241sejmmmo7_540
  • @Trinityy Wednesday 
  • @Awesome_Piper  Thank you so much :D

@Trinityy  You too
  • @ColourzRnice Thanks :)
  • @ColourzRnice thanks xD

@frogiepower no problem :)
    art gallery 2

• How did your root canal go?
    tacocatPandaPicturepandahood
  • @echo_panda I wrote a blog, i'll explain it there