Mini-Game Bugs & Suggestions

edited January 2019 in VFK Developer Ideas!

I have come up with some suggestions on ways to make VFK's various mini-games more exciting and balanced, as well as a list of bugs I've encountered while playing them. I would love to know which of my suggestions you find most appropriate, and any other bugs you may have spotted while gaming. Feel free to post your own suggestions too, I'd love to hear them!

Audubon's Wildlife Adventure

Suggestions:
  • As of right now, a perfect game of Audubon is 30,116 points. I suggest that if a player reaches the end of the game, the amount of gas remaining should be added to their score. I believe this will make the game a lot more fun to play, since you will be rewarded with a higher score for clicking birds faster, as well as driving more carefully. This will add an extra layer of skill and competitiveness to the game, whether competing against other players' scores or your own personal best.
  • A 25,000+ point game should earn you more than one ice coin/sand dollar. I understand the concern of rewarding ice coins/sand dollars relative to score, especially since Audubon's score is exponential in nature, so I propose that each time a user completes a "round" (6 levels) of Audubon beyond the initial 500 points, they will be rewarded with another ice coin/sand dollar. Assuming the exit on level 59 is a valid completion of a round, completing all 59 levels of Audubon would result in 10 ice coins/sand dollars, which I think is a fair reward for a game of that duration.
  • When a player misses a bird, it should display the correct answer. It will be easier for players to learn from their mistakes this way, making the game more educational.
  • When clicking exit, the game should ask "Are you sure you want to exit?" just like in Wild West Checkers. There is a bird in the Tranquil Waterfall room that lands very close to the exit button, and I have accidentally clicked it on several occasions.
Bugs:
  • If your fairy enchantment is active when starting a game, hitting the up arrow will cause the car to fly instead of speeding up. As a result, the car will miss the exit and stay in the first room. Fairy/pet mounts should automatically be disabled when entering the lobby, similar to the Waters of Life game lobby.
  • When clicking a bird, the last option is never correct.

Fourth of July Fireworks

Suggestions:
  • Fireworks is the one outlier for game prizes -- it takes a century and a half per prize (15minutes per game). I suggest VFK reduce the score/minimum game requirement for fireworks, or allow us to start playing from Level 3 (shorter games, decent score per game).
  • High scores for the modern version of fireworks should be displayed on the home page instead of the Classic Fireworks scores. Alternatively, add the three missing slots to the leaderboard: Fireworks (modern), Waters of Life, and Sleepy Hollow.

Laser Tag

Suggestions:
  • When a team is eliminated, the game should progress to the next round (same with Space Pirates, see below). Teams should not have to turn on each other once the common threat is eliminated. Otherwise,
  • Provide an option to toggle friendly-fire. When enabled, members on the same team can hurt each other and the game will not progress to the next round until time runs out or until one player remains. When disabled, however, members on the same team cannot hurt each other and the game will progress when time runs out or when a team has been eliminated.
  • Bonus ice coin/sand dollar for exceeding the 5k credit cap. 5k is 10 times the required amount for a single ice coin/sand dollar, why not provide another when this cap is exceeded, to compensate for the credits not received?

Night Fighters

Bugs:
  • In Level 2, there is a spot near the upper right-hand corner of the screen where players enter and they are not visible on the screen. Navigating to a visible spot from that location can be incredibly difficult. I would recommend deleting this entry point, or moving it elsewhere.

Sleepy Hollow

Suggestions:
  • The number of ghosts in your team's color should not be solely determined by the number of opposing players. When playing a 1v1 game, if the opposing player loses connection, you cannot earn anymore points, since ghosts in your team's color stop spawning. Ghosts of each color should spawn regardless, so players can continue earning points even after their partner disconnects.
  • When you are frozen, the opposing team should be able to tag (unfreeze) you for points. This would keep the game moving.
  • Add high scores to homepage leaderboard.
Bugs:
  • The grid on both sets of stairs in the second level could use some work. They can be tricky to navigate.
  • Not a bug with the game itself, but after completing any game around the kingdom, the window that tells you how many credits you've won and which games you still need to complete refers to Sleepy Hollow as "The Haunting of Sleepy Hallow," contrary to the Victorian Map and every Sleepy Hollow game item.

Space Pirates

Suggestions:
  • Eliminate Shift Key Functionality. While we appreciate how this feature put the "Space" in Space Pirates, it takes away from the game. It's harder to land shots, power-ups cannot be picked up, and most users will click it accidentally, not knowing how to float back down. This game would be way more fun if the game was confined to a two-dimensional plane.
  • Redesign Level 2. Level 2 is not a battle-friendly level -- the stage has an obstacle that consumes the entire screen, making navigation slow and interaction minimal.
  • Change Scoring System. The scoring system is not very appropriate. Scores should not be solely based on the number of back-and-forth exchanges, but by several other factors including number of hits, distance travelled, power-ups acquired, etc. As of right now you could play with three other friends for the full duration of each round and still not get enough points for one ice coin.
  • More Power-Up's Keeps the game moving
  • When a team is eliminated, the game should progress to the next round (same with Laser Tag, see above). Teams should not have to turn on each other once the common threat is eliminated. Otherwise,
  • Provide an option to toggle friendly-fire. When enabled, members on the same team can hurt each other and the game will not progress to the next round until time runs out or until one player remains. When disabled, however, members on the same team cannot hurt each other and the game will progress when time runs out or when a team has been eliminated.

Waters of Life

Suggestions:
  • Allow us to skip the Serengeti introduction clip, or have it disabled after watching it once. The purpose of the game is clear beyond that point.
  • Retire the plush alligator. I think we have all earned enough of them by now.
  • Add Shift Key Functionality, Audubon Gas Tanks in the water. Collecting gas tanks that you can eventually use as a little boost by hitting shift to speed out of any looming danger. Similar to when you press shift on a dragon to fly faster.
  • Make it impossible for an alligator to spawn directly beneath you. Too often an alligator will pop up directly under the boat which results in an instant-kill. No amount of skill or coordination can save you, which is incredibly annoying.
  • Add high scores to homepage leaderboard.
Bugs:
  • From the serengeti introduction clip to the final level, anyone playing Waters of Life can be followed by a friend and have their game interrupted.
  • Double-clicking will cause the boat to travel in the direction of the clicked spot. This can be especially problematic when trying to escape an alligator and clicking fast to net it, only to find yourself moving directly toward it and getting injured.
  • The lobby's "High Score" button should reflect the high scores, not who escaped the alligators most recently.
  • When entering Area 4, the loading screen does not say "Entering Area: 4" like the other levels.

Comments

• Great suggestions Tom! I especially agree with lowering the requirements for fireworks. For many of us older players, our hands are not as limber as they once were.  This would really entice me to play more of the game, if I knew I would be able to obtain some of the prizes.  As it is right now, if I don't trade for the magics/outfits, the chances of me getting them are slim to none.  

• Awesome Post Tom. I agree the games do need some work. 

Id like to add to the sleepy hollow game
    If you get turned to the opposite teams color ghost they should be able to catch you (and earn points) and unfreeze you so that you can continue catching more ghost.

• ABOUT: Signed up: February 2017 Miss Clue only: March 2017 Regularly playing the kingdom: April 2017 hehehehehe...... Came for MISS CLUE, stayed for VFK <3

Miss Clue Mysteries Border 2 

VFK thiefpeasant from enigma 1
    tazzie grinzzzz by moi
    Snazzy beanieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    surfer and her secrets lol
    G FOR GIFT GIFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Screenshot_1 VFK 000 winter65 VFK GIFTTTTTTTTT's BIRTHDAY VFK shy no shy scaleenigma questions my existence

LOGO from BLUEWIZ

Made by @bluewiz
    THANK YOU!  

santa claus listening to me
    mrs claus lovvvve
    mrs claus 2022 music question
  • Great suggestion Pi! Added
  • Another suggestion I would add is in Fireworks. I can on a good day make anywhere from 10,000 to 11,000 points in fireworks. There should be extra ice coins/sand dollars added to those who can get those outrageous points. I sweat blood trying to get there only to get the normal amount of ice coins/ sand dollars. Great Post Tomorrow!
  • Thank you for making this post. I really would love if vfk highly considered fixing bugs and enhancing the games. I agree with all of your suggestions; the games would be much more enjoyable with bugs fixed, and new features.

The main bugs I encounter VERY often are all in Space games...I would love for these games to get fixed. Of course this thread mentions some glitches, but I would like to share my bugs I’ve encountered.

Laser tag:
    Establishing connection bug - When my opponent and I are loading into the laser tag game, if I load before my opponent into the level and walk around (while they still have not spawned), when they finally DO spawn, I can not blast them. It’s as if I’m invisible...my blasts do nothing.
    -This bug usually happens on level 1, and if I’m lucky for both players to spawn at the same moment in the second level, the glitch might not happen in the second level (but commonly this glitch usually always happens, and I can never play a normal game of laser tag).

Night fighters:
    Unable to blast- this glitch is similar to laser tag, sometimes my blasts don’t do anything

Not spawning enemies - sometimes my screen willl not display opponents, but other players can see everyone (so this glitch seems to be individual to a specific player).

Up and down movement (visual glitch) - often when playing night fighters, an opponent ship will appear to be moving up and down (yet on the persons screen whose ship appears to be moving up/down, they are completely still). This glitch makes it impossible to know where the person is/blast them.

Space pirates - establishing connection bug - similar to laser tag, often the game might spawn me before my opponent into the level and when the opponent finally spawns, my blasts do nothing for the first level. I’d im lucky, the glitch goes away on round two, but it usually does not, and the fame is just a waste. I have my opponent just blast me until the game is over so we can try to get a functioning game the next game we do.