Feedback/Ideas for new HOST events

A new scavenger hunt host event happened... how did it go for you?  Did you like it? Not so much?  Post your feedback here.

I personally think it was a bit chaotic (everyone running to the same areas).  I think host events are appealing events for newer players to try (and sending newer players on a scavenger hunt to vague blurry pictures they may not know is not good for newer players). 

Host events typically have a winning and losing prize, whereas everyone wins the same thing for this event.  I feel like this event was more of a 1 hour scavenger hunt, rather than a host event.

I think it is cool they are trying new things... but that is what I think.  Personally, I would prefer if classic host games such as spinner games returned.  These events were organized (get in queue, play, leave) and helped generate rare items for people to trade for since they werent so easy to win.  

Let me know what you think, it will help the staff decide what to do next if we have constructive advice.

Please no drama on this post - I made this is a post for staff to get feedback if players liked this host event or not, or have any ideas.  This is not a complaining or fighting post.  Thank you

Comments

• I LOVE IT!

ABOUT: Signed up: February 2017 Miss Clue only: March 2017 Regularly playing the kingdom: April 2017 hehehehehe...... Came for MISS CLUE, stayed for VFK <3

Miss Clue Mysteries Border 2 

VFK thiefpeasant from enigma 1
    tazzie grinzzzz by moi
    Snazzy beanieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    surfer and her secrets lol
    G FOR GIFT GIFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Screenshot_1 VFK 000 winter65 VFK GIFTTTTTTTTT's BIRTHDAY VFK shy no shy scaleenigma questions my existence

LOGO from BLUEWIZ

Made by @bluewiz
    THANK YOU!  

santa claus listening to me
    mrs claus lovvvve
    mrs claus 2022 music question
  • I think the instructions for how this event works should be posted on a board or something so players have a clearer idea of what their doing. I also think instead of using the public rooms the hosts could build rooms you have to go to and can use teleport to get to each room. similar to the maze rooms they do and each time you complete the scavenger hunt you get a chance of getting one of two prizes to keep things fun and randomized. I also feel like like by making it more like the maze rooms they could let in more people. Another idea I thought of if instead of finding items in each room you have to find the host and each host will tell you which room to go to next. 
    cutelina
  • I was one of the first into this event, and it was chaos and confusion.  HOWEVER, I feel it was only like that because of a few factors which could be remedied easily:

1)  better pictures.  some of the first pictures I got were gray and so blurry it was impossible for me to find the next location (fyi, I'm awesome at 'regular scavenger hunts', so this was exceptionally hard).  Ironically, later hints started being a little clearer and were in color.  Not sure if it was supposed to be like that or not

2)  VFK has had a long history of not providing clear instructions beforehand.  This was no different.  I had no idea I had to leave the host room and look for anything out in the kingdom.  The hints with the grill and '?' symbols were further confusion for me.

So when I get into the host room after the event started, there was a bottleneck and -very- difficult to get answers from the host (not the hosts fault, just 10 people needing different answers at once).

I'm not overly worried about new people not being able to do scavenger hunts.  VFK regularly does scavenger hunts, whether there's new people or not.  The person I brought back to game with me I instructed to do one thing first:  walk.  Everywhere.  Whenever there's a lull or you get bored, WALK.  Then walk some more.  Eventually they figure out where things are.  People all over the main map were eventually helping, and it ended with a huge sigh of relief (speaking for myself).  This event needs work and tuned up.  AND prior instructions, so people know what to expect BEFORE being pulled into the room. 

Also, in general, I feel any zoo rooms for scavenger hunts are not helpful.  Worse, anything that charges admission where you need to enter a location that charges to continue the scavenger hunt. 

Zoo admission to Reptile House, Bat House, stuff like that.  You get a pop up to pay the admission.  so you go directly into the room once you pay, right?  NOPE.  kicks you BACK out, then you have to go back into the room.  Not a huge deal, but always agitating.  "Pay and go in" really is smarter  Seriously..

This event should be tried again with the feedback provided before being judged too harshly.  I know I was judging it extremely harshly at first ;)  As far as host events, sure, some of the old 'tried and true' challenges could be re-used and maybe improved (come on, most things can be 'tweaked'). If VFK fixes their Queue system, games might be more enjoyable as well.  That...is a very old subject.

personal opinion, ymmv.  and 2 cents.

Flame

You'd be surprised what you can do with the short end of the stick
  • I personally loved it and it was something new and exciting too! I'm tired of the same old stuff for the past 12 years (even if i did miss some in the beginning times) so even if this didn't go well, I think it's super creative and they should keep doing stuff like this.

I agree with Lina and Flame though. I HATE the zoo; with my slow internet it seemed impossible to walk all the way there, I had to follow someone but even then I had to pay for the darn thing in a very small time frame that I had personally (45 mins after host ended they extended for people in queue?).

Speaking of queue, I'm not understanding why I couldn't get in queue a lot of times then jump to 64? If people are going out in the public to do the hunt, I would suspect that queue would be smaller or at least quicker. But I understand this was new and hopefully a few kinks will be sorted out. 

Other than that, THANKS STAFF. KEEP USING YOUR IMAGINATIONS!!
    art-starbucks 
  • prettyredstone said:

I personally loved it and it was something new and exciting too! I'm tired of the same old stuff for the past 12 years (even if i did miss some in the beginning times) so even if this didn't go well, I think it's super creative and they should keep doing stuff like this.

I believe you're right, prettyredstone.  VFK needs to keep things 'fresh'.  It's in their best interest to do so, as events can become stale over 12 years ;)  Making sure folks know what to expect beforehand would've really helped this event.  And the first popup I got after clicking the first grill was totally the opposite of anything resembling even a blurry picture.  It was -gray-, with a few barely perceptible, dull outlines in the background.  A small red grill in the middle and like 5 '?' characters.  Once I was told it was a pic, I zoomed in 300%.  Made no difference lol.  Some people received just a black-colored box for the pop up.  Once I received help on where to go, I was a) relieved, and b) still looking at a place that really didn't resemble the 'gray' area behind the small red grill in the hint.  Didn't even know it was a picture at all.  Let's try it again :)

Flame

• edited May 2020
    Today's event was light years better than the same event 2 days ago.  A few of the major problems were fixed (picture almost completely grayed out were now clearer and in color, instructions were given out this time).   And the locations were the same as before.

One thing I continue to have a beef with:  bottlenecks at the entrance due to people chatting up the Host.  The Host is there to manage the game and make sure as many people get in and out as smoothly as possible.  Distracting their attention is not good during events.  2 cents.

Thank you VFK for the improvements.

Flame
    @VFK_Enigma @VFK_Mintie  and the rest of staff

• I’m glad to hear it was a big better @flamanar. Does anyone have ideas for new host room games vfk could try?
  • I liked the butterfly event better than the steak scavenger hunt. My only feedback is for making fun host rooms where we click on items in rooms, maybe use items that aren’t animated. I found it to be very laggy with tons of butterflies and animated items