hey, old-school ideas and some new

Some things that I've noticed could use improvement or haven't been addressed yet (now that I'm back from my 10-year stay in the sanitarium...just kidding about the sanitarium :P )

1)  Exits need to be  -static-.  Hovering your cursor around rooms in hopes of finding a transparent, blinking 'way out' button is the opposite of fun. Especially for those with bad eyesight (do I need to mention how many older folks are playing game now?).  I'm coaching a new member now, and they don't have a mouse.  Took me at least 15 minutes to get them out of the garden (It was worse due to the gold trees, but it's still confusing for the new player in other rooms when I walked them around)
2)  shops/dealing with inventory.  If we want to buy 10 shirts of one kind, we should be able to buy them at once.   Not buying each shirt separately.  This is a seriously old-school suggestion
3)  changing order of rooms in your room list is glitchy.  don't get me wrong, I love it.  But if I don't do it 'tiny move by tiny move'?  I lose control of my buttons.  My buttons are then no longer happy lol.  Only curable by refreshing.
4) we have a 'shop' button on the bottom menu.  click on it and all the shops pop up, along with subcategories available.  it would be nice for us to be able to transport to a shop on the list (without leaving the list) to buy things, instead of physically traveling to the shop to buy the items....which by the time we get there we've forgotten what we wanted (well, I'm getting old and taxes my memory, lol)
5)  Differentiate VIP/members-only rooms from the rest.  I think I sold off some rooms that were either prize rooms or VIP rooms.  I have 300+ rooms, so I figured it was time to thin the herd.  I think I lost some sheep along the way that I would've kept if I knew (or remembered) that they were 'special' rooms.
6)  A kingdom-wide railway or sky-ride. circling each kingdom and/or map.  Yep that's a huge wish, but would also be cool.  I'm thinking of a park like Busch Gardens Williamsburg that has a skyride (more of a trip around the inside lands in the park) and train (which circles the outside edges of the park) to take to different parts of the map.   Maybe 25 credits to any destination.  Save time walking or flying.  And/or providing a cool top-down view of the lands if a skyride.
7)  maybe unhide rooms that don't appear on a map??  I get it.  'Hidden rooms'.  But why?
8)  more pin space on lanyards
9)  scavenger hunts.  I've noticed a few times now that noobs can't do them (or would have great difficulty doing them).  One the other day required 'Alien Enchantment'.  One other one required ice skates.

I'll stop there.  Some of those go back many years.  Others are what I've noticed (or my new pupil has noticed) since my decade-long hiatus from game.  All of that being said, VFK is much different than it was in the 'good old days'.  It's much -better- :)  Thanks to staff if they're checking this out.  Making it easier for new people is just good business.  Nobody wants a frustrated noob who gets fed up quick and just leaves VFK without giving it a chance.  The more we keep, the better the game.  Well....it looks good on paper :P

FLAMANAR.  Yes, I'm back...and I heard that 'Flamanar who?'  :P

You'd be surprised what you can do with the short end of the stick

Comments

• edited June 2019
    Welcome back FLAMANAR,

Regarding suggestion #2, VIP Members can buy items in bulk.

Otherwise great suggestions. Really would love to see #5 redone because it is a paint to organize my rooms. I can't use EA , I have to log onto some other browser to see if it will let me rearrange and stack rooms under each other. I know VFK places and I despise when we have a scavenger hunt of some hard place in Zoo. It makes it hard on players especially new ones who have no clue where this place is, and how to get to it.
  • I personally don't agree with #8. Many people collect lanyards of pins/fx and making it bigger or smaller would ruin people's collections. Please no VFK! LOL
  • To be honest, I miss the limited room scavenger hunts where we knew the Zoo was off limits. Without a map and working exits scavenger hunts in the zoo are not fun (same with quests).

I rather just have a clicking map and more rooms added to it based on all the hidden rooms.

32cb878a
  • Thanks for the input folks.  I can't find a multi-quote feature here (blinks), so:

Icy:  Didn't know that.  I have the old VIP membership and it doesn't allow me to buy in bulk.  Must be the newer memberships that allow it.  Glad they got that working at least with newer memberships!

Zanze:  lol no worries.  we can't all agree on everything ;)  My personal reason is due to my ultra-rare racing pins.  If I load them all on the lanyard, then I only have space for 1 magic and 1 other pin.  So a personal agenda in there, but another example: would be cool to load up all the advent pins around Christmas time.  Maybe VFK can allow people to choose how big they want their lanyard to be?  Just a thought.  I do like that you can now format the signature area in colors and fonts.

Ace:  agreed.  The zoo....is a bit of a trainwreck?  That area needs serious help and organization.  Maybe it's own map, cause it is crazy hard getting around in there sometimes.  I love it...it just needs an overhaul.  They also have a train ride in there, so the idea of a train/monorail/skyride shouldn't be out of the question for other areas/maps as well.

Since I'm helping a noob (and being away myself for almost 10 years), I'm getting fairly instant feedback on what works and what could be done better...from a fresh viewpoint.  That's kinda rare, yet valuable at the same time.  First impressions can be a make-it or break-it deal.

Thanks for the input folks!!!!

FLAMANAR.  Flame for short.  Flamanar for tall.

• edited June 2019
    Flamanar said:

Thanks for the input folks.  I can't find a multi-quote feature here (blinks), so:

Icy:  Didn't know that.  I have the old VIP membership and it doesn't allow me to buy in bulk.  Must be the newer memberships that allow it.  Glad they got that working at least with newer memberships!

Zanze:  lol no worries.  we can't all agree on everything ;)  My personal reason is due to my ultra-rare racing pins.  If I load them all on the lanyard, then I only have space for 1 magic and 1 other pin.  So a personal agenda in there, but another example: would be cool to load up all the advent pins around Christmas time.  Maybe VFK can allow people to choose how big they want their lanyard to be?  Just a thought.  I do like that you can now format the signature area in colors and fonts.

Ace:  agreed.  The zoo....is a bit of a trainwreck?  That area needs serious help and organization.  Maybe it's own map, cause it is crazy hard getting around in there sometimes.  I love it...it just needs an overhaul.  They also have a train ride in there, so the idea of a train/monorail/skyride shouldn't be out of the question for other areas/maps as well.

Since I'm helping a noob (and being away myself for almost 10 years), I'm getting fairly instant feedback on what works and what could be done better...from a fresh viewpoint.  That's kinda rare, yet valuable at the same time.  First impressions can be a make-it or break-it deal.

Thanks for the input folks!!!!

FLAMANAR.  Flame for short.  Flamanar for tall.

to tag people just do @ and then the person's username @Flamanar 
    cutelina
  • edited June 2019
    Hey @Flamanar!  I like a lot of your ideas, its cool you're helping someone so you kind of see things through the eyes of a new person! here are my opinion on some things:

For item 2 a lot of features are there now for bulk stuff, if you're a member you can bulk buy, bulk place, bulk store (using the store all button under the room I button) bulk place items in storage sheds (clicking and holding enter key) <new feature actually :O

Item 5 i'm pretty sure that all really special rooms can't be sold, if you could sell it, odds are it's not special

Item 6 LOVE IT!!!!

Item 7 I don't really get how would you "unhide rooms"?  and its fun to explore and find new things at least I think so o.o

Item 8 definitely not! People have worked years (including myself) to get 15 pins of things so we can have a "full lanyard"  If you want to have more pins such as enchantments, or pets, or other pins like that, vfk added a live tile option and you can put up to like 128 pins on there here is a thread for how it works:
    Screen Wise

Item 9, scavenger hunts I wouldn't really put at a thing for noobies to do, when you first join you're more like "what on earth is VFK?" lol rather than "let me do this scavenger hunt I shouldn't even know exist" Scavenger hunts are so totally for constant players in my opinion, they are a way to challenge your knowledge of vfk and ask "do you know vfk well?"  it's what keeps me entertained and i've been here years.  And if a new person really wants to play a scavenger hunt, kudos to them!  It gives you a goal while you're exploring all of vfk and if you don't want to get to know vfk inside and out, don't play the hunts.  just my opinion though
    Oh, and if you're lazy there are people who will help you with stuff like that.  especially people like poorbe

love the ideas!!  keep them up!!

--
    64HBS56TE0AI TY Jessizoid!

• iStella said:

@cute_lina  Thanks for the tip!!!  I'm re-learning game and learning here, lol.  It's alot to take in, so your help is much appreciated!

@iStella
    Yes, a new person's eyes are kinda rare, and in most businesses they're very valuable in regards to gaining customers and customer retention.  First impressions can be priceless.

I found out today that I have a 'legacy membership', which I'm guessing means I don't have all the bulk options like newer memberships may offer.  I do have -some- nifty menu items, allowing me to 'inventory search' (that alone is worth the price of a membership to me right now, lol), 'store all' in a room and 'list items' in rooms, etc.   I just can't purchase in bulk, place bulk, and whatever else I'm missing that they've added.

#5.  You are correct, I was mistaken.  You can't sell VIP rooms (at least I couldn't sell any of mine).  Probably should've double-checked that first, right?  lol  thanks for the heads-up :)  All input/feedback helps me learn, so it's all good.

#7:  basically add 'hidden rooms' to the maps.  It is fun to explore.  New people get frustrated, though.  If it's a patient new person, then it's usually cool and they'll ask for help.  If they're an impatient person trying to learn not just where things are at, but also how 'the everything' works?  Not so good.  Heck, I've done some 'scavenger ranting' doing those since I came back, lol!

#8:  yeah, I'm gonna walk that back.  I get what you mean (although think of the challenge in getting MORE pins...lol, yeah that would be burnout).  And I haven't even gotten around to playing with the 'tiles' in the right-side game menu, lol.  I usually just close it right away so I can jump in game.  Probably should check that out, right?  LOL  I'm learning good stuff, and it may help others as well ;) 

#9:  Scavenger hunts.  Definitely for more advanced players who know the territory, however it does exclude new people from getting cool shtuff (unless they ask all around for help).  Usually, noobs will see a popup and worry that they might be missing something cool, so they'll jump into it...even though it's something meant for people with more skills.  Maybe a 'skill rating' on games like that??  So noobs can tell if it's an easy game, hard game, etc.

All the feedback and opinions have been incredibly helpful!  Thanks folks :)  Now I'm off to check out that thread on tiles (thanks for that btw!!)

Flamanar.  ex-player in training

• Flamanar said:

iStella said:

@cute_lina  Thanks for the tip!!!  I'm re-learning game and learning here, lol.  It's alot to take in, so your help is much appreciated!

@iStella
    Yes, a new person's eyes are kinda rare, and in most businesses they're very valuable in regards to gaining customers and customer retention.  First impressions can be priceless.

I found out today that I have a 'legacy membership', which I'm guessing means I don't have all the bulk options like newer memberships may offer.  I do have -some- nifty menu items, allowing me to 'inventory search' (that alone is worth the price of a membership to me right now, lol), 'store all' in a room and 'list items' in rooms, etc.   I just can't purchase in bulk, place bulk, and whatever else I'm missing that they've added.

#5.  You are correct, I was mistaken.  You can't sell VIP rooms (at least I couldn't sell any of mine).  Probably should've double-checked that first, right?  lol  thanks for the heads-up :)  All input/feedback helps me learn, so it's all good.

#7:  basically add 'hidden rooms' to the maps.  It is fun to explore.  New people get frustrated, though.  If it's a patient new person, then it's usually cool and they'll ask for help.  If they're an impatient person trying to learn not just where things are at, but also how 'the everything' works?  Not so good.  Heck, I've done some 'scavenger ranting' doing those since I came back, lol!

#8:  yeah, I'm gonna walk that back.  I get what you mean (although think of the challenge in getting MORE pins...lol, yeah that would be burnout).  And I haven't even gotten around to playing with the 'tiles' in the right-side game menu, lol.  I usually just close it right away so I can jump in game.  Probably should check that out, right?  LOL  I'm learning good stuff, and it may help others as well ;) 

#9:  Scavenger hunts.  Definitely for more advanced players who know the territory, however it does exclude new people from getting cool shtuff (unless they ask all around for help).  Usually, noobs will see a popup and worry that they might be missing something cool, so they'll jump into it...even though it's something meant for people with more skills.  Maybe a 'skill rating' on games like that??  So noobs can tell if it's an easy game, hard game, etc.

All the feedback and opinions have been incredibly helpful!  Thanks folks :)  Now I'm off to check out that thread on tiles (thanks for that btw!!)

Flamanar.  ex-player in training

I remember back when I was new that I have done quests first before even finding out about scavenger hunts. My first ever quests were the zoo quests in the zoo office partially because I was roaming around the zoo and I clicked on everything to read and clicked on the woman inside the office and thus began my questing!

I remember old players guiding me with scavenger hunts as well. Helping me find places and me jumping to them. They also told me to add PoorBe's clones so I can easily jump to them whenever the round of scavenger hunt starts. I didn't pay attention to newsletters or calendars back then. :P

Maybe I could make a separate thread about my experiences as a noob back in 2017! :) I have so much to tell!

I want to give a huge shout out to my first ever VFK teachers: Andre_Luiz, LadyMcBest, Andromida & HollyMist & others that I might have forgotten (remind me please, lol).

If it weren't for them teaching me ways around the kingdom, I would never have learnt quick! They're awesome!

ABOUT: Signed up: February 2017 Miss Clue only: March 2017 Regularly playing the kingdom: April 2017 hehehehehe...... Came for MISS CLUE, stayed for VFK <3

Miss Clue Mysteries Border 2 

VFK thiefpeasant from enigma 1
    tazzie grinzzzz by moi
    Snazzy beanieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    surfer and her secrets lol
    G FOR GIFT GIFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Screenshot_1 VFK 000 winter65 VFK GIFTTTTTTTTT's BIRTHDAY VFK shy no shy scaleenigma questions my existence

LOGO from BLUEWIZ

Made by @bluewiz
    THANK YOU!  

santa claus listening to me
    mrs claus lovvvve
    mrs claus 2022 music question
  • Flamanar said:

iStella said:

<

ABOUT: Signed up: February 2017 Miss Clue only: March 2017 Regularly playing the kingdom: April 2017 hehehehehe...... Came for MISS CLUE, stayed for VFK <3

Miss Clue Mysteries Border 2 

VFK thiefpeasant from enigma 1
    tazzie grinzzzz by moi
    Snazzy beanieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    surfer and her secrets lol
    G FOR GIFT GIFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Screenshot_1 VFK 000 winter65 VFK GIFTTTTTTTTT's BIRTHDAY VFK shy no shy scaleenigma questions my existence

LOGO from BLUEWIZ

Made by @bluewiz
    THANK YOU!  

santa claus listening to me
    mrs claus lovvvve
    mrs claus 2022 music question
  • I agree that zoo should be kept off scavenger (and quest!) as well as special requirements like enchantments and such. They exclude newer players who don’t have those, and the zoo is huge and too long. I find myself almost never doing quests or scavenger anymore simply because of the zoo rooms. I hate going in the zoo. If they created a whole new map for the zoo, kind of like medieval age, then I’d be more open to it.
  • @GIFT I'd -LOVE- to hear your story about you getting started in VFK!  Please post it up if you can!

I agree there's great players in game that are SO helpful in getting people started.  Kudos to them!  I try when I can, but I'm still learning new things.  Just in the past 24 hours, I can't believe what I've learned!!

Ok, some updates:

I bought a Star membership last night.  I was holding off, then decided to jump on it.  WOW.  Here ya go:

1)  the 'place all', 'buy quantity' and a few other menu items/features are only good with the newer VIP memberships.  They don't show up with the legacy memberships

2)  live tiles?  OMG  I had -no- clue what that was about until I poked around after reading that thread...and even then I was kinda lost.  I figured it out eventually.  By accident, LOL!  The part I missed was placing a pin in the tile palette (the lettering/button for that is -way- too hard to find, btw), then DRAGGING IT OUT OF THAT BOX AND ONTO THE GAME DISPLAY.  Once I figured that out, the lightbulb went off.  What a cool feature!!!  I wonder how many people don't even bother playing with that??  I just found that the left and right menus when you log into game were always in my way, so I'd minimize them right away.  If there was a manual....lol!  I can't thank you folks enough for the feedback/instructions, and special thanks to @waterfallglow for that live tiles thread.  WOW, I've been playing with that heavily last night and today, LOL!

The zoo is a headache, for sure.  I understand what they were trying to achieve, and it's cool what's in there.  It's just impossible to navigate right now.  I can see they put a bunch of transporters near the beginning that take you to different areas.  That's unfortunately not enough (basically more of a 'bandaid' than a solution).  Either map it or rehab it.  I think if one of those 2 things happen, you'd see aLOT more 'zoo traffic'. 

Also would be nice to purchase admission to places that charge admission without loading a screen that asks if you want to purchase admission, then it drops you back out front of the place....THEN you can go in.  Seems it could be done a little better.

With the membership, it was my first exposure to gold stamps.  Hmm.  There's catalogs spread out in various shops and a handful of around 7 catalogs in the Gold Stamp store alone.  There's a ton of stuff available.  My biggest problem with the system was immediately apparent:  the prices aren't listed for each item BEFORE you click the 'select item' buttons.  Sure you can see the prices AFTER you click the button, then choose to buy it or cancel the transaction...but that's crazy inconvenient, especially given the massive amount of items there are now.  Would be -seriously- cool to show the prices up front.  Even if they provided a separate 'price sheet' next to the catalogs (should be an easy programming thing).  Just sayin'.  Ugh.

Still learning, and teaching the new person I brought from another game here to VFK.  Thanks again folks!  Your help and guidance is most appreciated :)

Flamanar, ex-player in training